Black Isle Studios is back

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
In a fairly meaningless move, Interplay has resurrect the Black Isle Studios name, with a website, Facebook page and twitter account. The BIS-related property Interplay still owns are Dark Alliance (without Baldur's Gate) and Lionheart and the only employees I know of from BIS currently working at Interplay are Chris Taylor and Mark O'Green. The Obsidian people are not involved in any way.

One of the classic mentalities of CEOs is the inability to admit any form of wrong doing (this level of arrogance extends to their private life as well).

Yet, here we see, Herve chewing on the edge of humble pie. It was his idea to close down Black Isle.

Interplay didn't close Black Isle out of financial difficulties, like the article indicates. I know, I was there.

Black Isle closed because Herve boldly claimed he didn't need them and their ideas, that he knew what the public really wanted. He also felt, openly so, that PCs were a dying market and consoles were the way to go.

Interplay no longer has the fake Fallout MMO to scam money out of investors with so it has resorted to name dropping. For shame, Interplay... for shame :irked:

the only THREE things that the new Black Isle Studios will have in common with the old will be "Black", "Isle" and of course "Studios".

Gnarles Bronson said:
Interplay is still a company?

Interplay is like an alcoholic uncle that no one ever mentions, but turns up at family functions now and then.

If it weren't interplay, I could see this being a good faith move. Like when Eidos (later Square Enix Europe) founded Eidos Montreal as a spiritual successor to Looking Glass and Ion Storm Austin. Especially since the traditional, tabletop-style isometric game has a comeback on the horizon thanks to BGEE and Kickstarter.

So really, it's kind of a shame that, say, Bethesda isn't starting up Ebon Atoll Entertainment to make old-school RPGs for PC and Tablet, or something.

Black Isle wasn't good because it was a Studio Called Black Isle, it was good because of the talent of the people on it. Kind of a Pathetic Move. They could have called it White Peninsule Studio and it would mean exactly the same thing, nothing.

I have to admit, if I see that logo before a new game, I will melt into a fanboy slush

Back