Brian Fargo Unite 2012 Speech, Wasteland 2 Footage

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Brian Fargo's "The Power of the Crowd" speech from Unite 2012 is now available online on Unity's own website. He talks about the history of Interplay, videogaming business, working for publishers, how crowdsourcing is changing the nature of the business. It runs about an hour long (42 minutes for the speech, the rest is Q&A).

However, what might interest fans most is that at 30:15 he shows the product running inside the Unity engine, the same area as the screenshot but in motion, showing the camera zoom options and the models in their idle animations, and Mark Morgan's track over it. It runs about one minute.

<center><iframe src="http://video.unity3d.com/v.ihtml?source=embed&photo%5fid=6943980" width="685" height="386" frameborder="0" border="0" scrolling="no"></iframe></center>
    EDIT: just the Wasteland 2 footage, thanks to Bewitched.

2. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    The demo should be interesting. But I don't expect much at this stage.

3. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    He has the same Mickey Mouse shirt like I have.
    That's all I can say

4. Mr Fish

Mr Fish ...The pain of being dead...

Sep 11, 2010
    Could anyone possibly post a transcript of the video?
    Not that I don't have time to look at it, my internet is just slow for a couple of days so I can't really stream videos.

5. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    I haven't watched it all yet, but so far, I can say that you can basically pick one of the recent interviews given by Fargo and it's more or less that. He just expands a bit on some points, but mostly how the market has changed, how making games with publisher is hard and he actually wanted to stop, new market, new ways to fund games, etc.

6. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    Fuck. Video crashes my Shockwave plugin. I so wanted to see the demo.

EDIT: Got it up and running! The camera zoom features are pretty cool.

7. Mossed Neuronn

Mossed Neuronn First time out of the vault

Mar 6, 2012
    Animations are pretty good, colors are ok. W2 kicks ass, really like it.

I was a little bit skeptical with the screenshots, but now I can't wait for the demo.

8. Bewitched

Bewitched aka Vault_13

Jun 13, 2006
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i9UIKsaROLU?list=UUZhsXnlpwxRUKje8BNtRV-A&amp;hl=en_GB" frameborder="0"></iframe>

9. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    Looks awesome. Can't wait! ^_^

Though that crooked cactus is buggin' the hell out of me. :p

10. kgreene

kgreene First time out of the vault

Jan 30, 2006
    "and if you're really old school, you can go complete top down."

Nice to see it in action...

11. Gnarles Bronson

Gnarles Bronson regular mutant

Oct 30, 2011
    Is anyone else bothered by the rangers standing in a circle from a tactical point of view? I wouldn't want someone just behind me with a machine gun. I wonder if you can crouch/laydown ala tactics, or if tehre will be formations you can get into.

12. egalor

egalor Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 20, 2007
    Somehow I'm more than sure that the tactical element to the game will evolve further, so assuming any formation would not be a problem, I suppose.

13. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    To me the framerate looks a bit choppy when he's panning, but it's really hard to tell if that's the actual game's performance or if it's the video.

14. Bengt

Bengt First time out of the vault

Sep 15, 2009
    I fucking hate video players without volume sliders.

15. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Bone Daddy oTO Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    I like the option for top down view. Really awesome stuff!

16. Diospyros

Diospyros First time out of the vault

Jul 15, 2008
    It has been a really long time since I played Wasteland, but if I remember correctly that just makes it like the original game where companions would always empty clips in a random spray that hit enemies and your own team. I'd always give them a rifle or something that only let them get off one shot at a time.

17. Izual

Izual Pipe rifle & chopsticks

Sep 18, 2009
    Looks good. I'm amazed by how far they got in only a few months.

18. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Yeah, Ian style! Dunno if that's how it'll work though.

You can move around the Rangers during combat, and I think they want to o a cover system , Gnarles. Formations too, probably, but that might not matter so much, they move freely during combat, JA/Tactics style.

19. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    just to correct you, your own team didn't moved around freely in JA, you had always full control over them and you had to guide them ;)

20. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    Not sure if I'm falling for a troll here, but what he means is that you couldn't just select all of your Jagged Alliance team and tell them to go somewhere during a combat sequence. They moved freely, i.e. you took control of them one by one, as opposed to they didn't move freely, because they were a part of a formation.