Chris Avellone examines the Fallout TV Series

Yeah well, again that's the kind of thing the original fallout used to satirize and actually not even satirize, it was again a depressive view of the world going to shit. The same way your comment is making me depressed.

Yeah well, again that's the kind of thing the original fallout used to satirize and actually not even satirize, it was again a depressive view of the world going to shit. The same way your comment is making me depressed.
JA8a1io.jpeg

I just think it's annoying that in terms of rpgs Bethesda is undeniably one of the worst storytellers in the game and yet the show managed to be even worse despite having a completely different production company.
Not surprised given that apparently the showrunner only played Fallout 3. If your only contact with a franchise is an entry with really bad writing, the writing quality of whatever you are working on most likely will be just as bad, if not worse.

Avellone did make everything we do in NV meanigless by introducing the tunnelers.

I disagree. The way I see it Avellone introduced tunnelers with the intention that they MIGHT, not WILL destroy Mojave.

Similar with the famine in NCR, civil war in Legion after Caesar's death, etc. They're all just speculations about events that might happen years after the ending of the game.
Some are more plausible, others less.

All these might happen together (like in DUST), only one might happen or none at all.

I'd love to see whatever plans they had for these events in NV2 if they ever got as far when thinking about designing it.

Since there's no Arcanum 2 and probably never will be (it's well past nostalgia sequel time), the ending where you side with Kerghan and destroy all living things is probably canon

The whole tunnelers discourse is funny. Have these people never played an RPG before? Caves of evil that will kill everyone if released everywhere.
Ulysees presents it as inevitable and even gives a timeframe until, literally what he says more all less is, no matter who wins in the Mojave it's all meanigless. It comes completely out the blue imo. Again that's all from memory though.

B-b-but Todd said he likes New Vegas!!!
He probably did genuinely like New Vegas. Todd also probably likes Daggerfall and Morrowind. But not for the same reasons the diehard fans of those games like them. I'm sure he enjoys Fallout 1 and 2 with legitimacy as well, but just like TES2 and 3 not for the reasons you do. I have no idea where I saw it or who supposedly said it but I never forgot when I read that some Morrowind developer said that they were talking about the game's design and everything Todd wanted to include was essentially that for non-important characters, Todd wanted to be a barbarian class that just fought enemies and got the objective and brought it back. I'm sure they put it more eloquently but essentially they said Todd wanted to make quests differently than most of the other team members. He was the project leader so I'm sure what he said had weight but the sentiment seemed to be that some of the team really didn't like the direction he wanted to take the game. Or whoever mentioned this was talking straight out of their ass and now I am too. But it seemed believable.

So yeah I believe he liked New Vegas but I don't think he really cared all that much about how quests could be solved, how faction relations worked, or how the skills were implemented and changed. He probably enjoyed the quests in the same way he would just naturally complete them and enjoyed the combat and the addition of new weapons and perks.

Ulysees presents it as inevitable and even gives a timeframe until, literally what he says more all less is, no matter who wins in the Mojave it's all meanigless. It comes completely out the blue imo. Again that's all from memory though.
I also remember Ulysses claiming that there's nothing that will really stop the tunnelers as they are currently. It's been awhile though. I never got around to playing it myself but I think the conversion mod Fallout Dust was based around that idea.

Also, I believe the thoughts, praises, and criticisms from Tim, Josh, Chris, etc. as well. Tim doesn't seem to be too attached to caring about sequels all that much anyway much less something he lost two decades ago and tried to buy back and lost the bid for (essentially). At this point, what else is there to do about it besides be happy you created something that so many people seem to enjoy and give you fame for? Chris is far more analytical about it all but is not shy of displaying his understandings, criticisms, and praises for anything related to Fallout. He seems to be more level-headed about it all, he gets things will change and he has issues with older titles. He will still just give his opinion. I think Josh's view about not getting too attached keeps him pretty detached from anything he cannot guarantee he should care about soon. Which is smart of him. If he cared too much about Fallout (or any IP he was heavily involved in) and watched it go in a direction he hated, he'd be upset over something completely out of his control when his career is making video games. It comes with the territory, especially when you work in bigger studios and work with publishers. I'm sure he cares but just doesn't bother too much. I think he cares far more about the work he has done and how to improve on that work in the future regardless of what intellectual property it may be.

EDIT: finished his part 2 review.

I’m no fan of the Enclave (we ruined Tim’s original good idea with our take in F2)
Anyone know what Chris is talking about here? I mean obviously whatever Tim & Company's idea was for the Enclave was altered for the final version of Fallout 2 but does anyone know what the original idea for them was like? I don't think I've seen such a direct mention of this before. Tim has mentioned that they laid out the main framework for Fallout 2 and things got changed but never said that the faction itself was changed from what I've seen and heard.

Last edited:
Anyone know what Chris is talking about here? I mean obviously whatever Tim & Company's idea was for the Enclave was altered for the final version of Fallout 2 but does anyone know what the original idea for them was like?
The Enclave's objective (as first thought by Tim Cain) was to go to space and colonise another planet using a multi-generational spaceship. That was why the vaults were supposed to all be experiments about stuff that could or would happen when being isolated for long periods, like travelling in a spaceship. I have no idea how this Enclave would translate in the game or what role the Enclave would have in the game world.

The Enclave we got wanted to commit genocide to repopulate the wasteland with "pure" humans.

Here's Tim Cain's video about his ideas for the Vaults and the objectives of the Enclave:

The Enclave's objective (as first thought by Tim Cain) was to go to space and colonise another planet using a multi-generational spaceship. That was why the vaults were supposed to all be experiments about stuff that could or would happen when being isolated for long periods, like travelling in a spaceship. I have no idea how this Enclave would translate in the game or what role the Enclave would have in the game world.

The Enclave we got wanted to commit genocide to repopulate the wasteland with "pure" humans.

Here's Tim Cain's video about his ideas for the Vaults and the objectives of the Enclave:

Clue reference:

Mrs. White: He threatened to kill me in public.

Ms. Scarlet: Why would he want to kill you in public?

Wadsworth: I think she meant he threatened, in public, to kill her.

Ms. Scarlet: Oh.

The Enclave wanted to colonize space and that's why they did the Vault experiments but that failed and now they want to recolonize Earth after sterilizing it of all mutant life.

Making good stuff. Dakka good.

I mean, the issues with the military industrial complex are not really about whether the tanks they make are cool or not.

- US military awards contract to manufacture power armor
- Manufacturer lobbies for war to justify spending billions of taxpayer dollars on power armor
- US government starts war, commits atrocities
- Guy being executed in Fallout 1 intro: "Wow, cool power armor!"

Huh, I already knew this actually but for some reason my mind sorted it into the Van Buren stuff that we never got to see in its full realization. Maybe the game was going to elaborate on that and that's why I thought that but when I had seen this video I ignored the implications it had for Fallout 2 and just kinda thought I already knew some of this. Thank you though

Todd wanted to make quests differently than most of the other team members. He was the project leader so I'm sure what he said had weight but the sentiment seemed to be that some of the team really didn't like the direction he wanted to take

Todd actually designed some of the quests in Morrowind and they certainly stand apart from other ones.

For example he made the first quest for Imperial Legion. It's a murder mystery where you find a murder weapon with murderer's name on it and victim's ghost standing nearby confirms that it was who killed him. Murderer is not even hiding, as he's still in the same dungeon.

Compare it to Hlaalu murder mystery quest in Balmora where you have to interrogate the victim's servant and friends using Persuasion or bribes and then confront one of the suspects or take a bribe and leave it unsolved.

I also remember Ulysses claiming that there's nothing that will really stop the tunnelers as they are currently. It's been awhile though.

They are afraid of bright light- fire, flash bangs and even sun make them run.
They thrive in Divide due to all underground passages, but they still don't venture out to surface.

I never got around to playing it myself but I think the conversion mod Fallout Dust was based around that idea.

They successfully invade Mojave in Dust, because in that mod the Courier made every bad choice available and everything bad that could have happened did so.

Solar eclipse and massive sandstorms blocked the sun allowing Tunnelers to run on the surface. There was nobody to stop them because Courier did an Indenpendent ending after he butchered majority of minor factions, blew up the Fortification Hill bunker, nuked Long 15 and was branded as a terrorist by NCR.

Not to mention Vault 22 spores spreading in Zion and NCR finding Sierra Madre and accidentally releasing Cloud on Strip and Freeside.

Back