Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by 13pm, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Did you ... did you, just called Wasteland 2 shit!

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  2. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    Sure. MCA was their poster boy and they'll need to market their own talents more, but it's not like he did everything by himself (a ton of stuff from FNV praised on these forums had nothing to do with him, for example).

Why? As far as I know, he wasn't involved in brokering the deal, nor did he have an instrumental role in the development of the game. He did lead the DLCs, sure, and I'm sure some people would miss his authorial style, but it doesn't mean anything concerning a NV2. Hell, to play the devil's advocate, considering that MCA was the one that broke out the news about New Vegas' contract, Bethesda might even be more willing to work with Obsidian again now that he's gone.

3. Juza The Cloud

Juza The Cloud Nanto Goshasei

Jun 3, 2015
    MCA, I thank you for the hours of fun Ive had because of projects you've worked on and I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

4. Kilus

Kilus Not Australian Orderite

May 3, 2003
    RIP in peace MCA.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. ChildServices

ChildServices Banned

May 22, 2015
    I'm sure Obsidian will be fine as will any prospects we have of a "New Vegas 2"

New Vegas was mostly Sawyer's brainchild as far as I can tell, and Avellone only really worked on the DLCs.

6. AskWazzup

AskWazzup Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2008
    I have no idea how to feel about this, as he didn't mention anything about retiring. Can someone tell me how i should feel about this?

7. megafallout3fan

megafallout3fan First time out of the vault

Jun 6, 2015
    I'm so glad! Now the chances of another Fallout made by Obsidian is even less! It seems like Bethesda will be making the games from now on! Super happy right now.

8. AskWazzup

AskWazzup Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2008
    Are you looking for your father, middle-aged man? Have i seen him?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  9. Marionettetc

Marionettetc Banned

May 15, 2013
    I can't wait for more writing like this. Shoutouts to our very own oihrebwe here at NMA, his post with this image was one of the first I got when I googled "Bad fallout 3 dialogue" for reference.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  10. ChildServices

ChildServices Banned

May 22, 2015
    I see these posts about Fallout 3's horrid dialogue and so often I just refuse to believe I'm seeing it with my own two eyes. My memories of the game are a little nicer to it than this.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  11. Caeo

Caeo First time out of the vault

Sep 19, 2013
    Yeah, I think he'll probably join inExile.

12. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    To be fair, remembering something someone just said is probably the biggest show of intelligence for the FO3 writters.

13. Proletären

Proletären Mildly Dipped

Mar 15, 2012
    Josh Sawyer <3

14. Kilus

Kilus Not Australian Orderite

May 3, 2003
    [Intelligence] So you don't believe your eyes seeing Fallout 3 dialogue posts on No Mutants Allowed.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  15. fred2

fred2 Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 2, 2013
    Wouldn't it be a demotion ?

16. 4too

4too Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 30, 2003
    “‘Oh No, William And Mary Won’t Do …’”

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/06/question-time-your-interview-with-chris-avellone/

Chris Avellone says (sadly) he never met Todd Howard.

If MCA transferred in from Virginia Tech, they would have missed possibly mixing during freshman year, or during freshman / sophomore - area / sequence class requirements.

If TH was paying out of state tuition, he might have been psychologically wound up and be ‘too’ serious to hang with lotus eating (in state) humanities majors.

W + M is not a large college, but living off campus or in a frat would limit the social circle,

and if they both double majored to cobble together a more interesting degree, TH would have been spending his time on the newer campus (business, physics, and math),

and MCA between old campus (english lit classrooms) and the fine arts building (architectural studio).

The great “what if” would be if both played the same (OR RIVAL!) pen and paper RPG, fantastic chance for speculative drama at that nexus that never was.

Interesting fodder for fan fiction?

Vehicle for “meeting of the minds” game theory ideological soap boxing? ;)

4too

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  17. Knight Captain Kerr

Knight Captain Kerr Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 27, 2011
    The people at Obsidian are still great but damn, I'm going to miss him working there.

18. Hardboiled Android

Hardboiled Android Mildly Dipped

Jun 7, 2015
    There.... there's a Van Buren project?

19. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    @4too: Thanks, I stand corrected.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  20. Hardboiled Android

Hardboiled Android Mildly Dipped

Jun 7, 2015