Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by 13pm, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    InXile apparently secured a "Van Buren" trademark. Fargo said something along the lines of that it's just in case they come up with something good after they finish working on Torment.

2. Ed of Vault 13

Ed of Vault 13 Lowly Old User

Sep 7, 2011
    I actually saw this being tweeted live on my API yesterday morning, kind of broke my heart. While I'll definitely miss him being a part of Obsidian, it's still a studio of veterans and incredibly talented people. The potential prospect of New Vegas 2 developed by Obsidian, of which we're all hoping for, would still very much be in excellent hands.

Wish both parties the best, of course.

3. fred2

fred2 Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 2, 2013
    Van Buren, not Fallout Van Buren. Since they can't used any Fallout stuff, its an empty name only useful for marketing purposes to attract more attention from old school guys..

Anyway, Avellon has been working with obsidian\inxile for a while. At Inxile he worked on W2, is currently working on the new PST and possibly will work on the new bards tale.

The thing that bothers me is that Obsidian is the larger and more established studio, if he moves to Inxile it doens't bodes well for its future projects.. (before pillars of eternity Obsidian was about to be closed)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  4. Dead Guy

Dead Guy Senate Board Director oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 9, 2008
    Why someone would move from Obsidian to InXile is difficult for me to imagine, but anyway.

I'm not sure whether to vomit in my mouth at the waste of talent, or foolishly light an infintessimal flame of hope at the prospect he'll work on Fallout 4. Actually, I think I'll vomit in my mouth since I'm fairly sure it's still going to be a bad FPS regardless of writing. But then there can't possibly be enough development time left on Fallout 4 for him to work on it.

5. fred2

Nov 2, 2013
    That why I speculated that he is retiring, but most seem to think he is going to InXile...

Also Personally, I don't like InXile or maybe its just Fargo, I think he is riding the whole old' school meal ticket way too much, with his mouth writing checks his ass can't cash a.k.a W2.

6. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    The guy is been working on a lot of projects recently, why would he be retiring just because he left one company?

7. Placid

Placid First time out of the vault

Jun 5, 2007

I asked if Fargo was doing anything with the Van Buren trademark. “Not yet,” he replied. “But there were some things, some ideas, that Chris Avellone had for doing something that made the post-apoc – a twist on the whole what-was-being-done that we really loved. So we talked about it and we thought why not grab the rights so we can entertain this one of these days.
    “But nothing now,” he stressed. “We have enough on our plate to be doing that right this second.”
    (Source).

8. fred2

Nov 2, 2013
    Exactly because he has been working on a lot of projects. He has been in the industry for a long time, the kick starter brought back the olden' glory and sometimes people like to leave while they are ahead... maybe he was planing on a carrier in writing e.g. primarily making novellas. To me it makes more sense then leaving Obsidian.. or going to InXile (but then again I am very uninformed on this)

Like I said nothing but marketing. Add 'old school' and 'bad publishers' to this "something something, Chris Aellone, Post-Apoc" and you get older fan crying like school girls for Fargo to shut up and take their money.

9. The Doctor

The Doctor Veteran of The Divide

Jun 6, 2015
    Just because a name that's been seen in one series pops up elsewhere doesn't mean it's been revived

For all we know, Van Buren will turn out to be some kind of dating sim

10. 4too

4too Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 30, 2003
    Rashomon Reading Tea Leaves

@ valcik

And, thank you for bringing up historical contexts.

We are connecting as many data dots as possible trying to divine MCA’s future.

If we were english literature / computer game industry double majors, we could save delving into the pontificating on the synchronicity of institutional enrollments for our master’s thesis!

Forever onward, higher and deeper! :D

Or, I could not spin the straws I grasp into anything more than a door mat to wipe clean, leave behind my personal tracks, staying comfortably in the obvious.

MCA and TH are more than chronological contemporaries.

4too

11. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009

Is it somehow shocking these days to tell the truth on NMA?

12. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Nov 26, 2007
    Just like Bethesda did with the name "Fallout 3".

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  13. Gnarles Bronson

Gnarles Bronson regular mutant

Oct 30, 2011
    I would be completely happy with fallout clone without any FO IP done by inexile -- they can call it Wasteland: Van Buren. Just lone-wanderer style, I didn't much care for the squad based bit in WL2

Sick burn bro.

14. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    WL1 was squad-based and that's why WL2 was squad-based. I'm sure you know that though.

15. veryblackraven

veryblackraven The Vault overseer

Jan 11, 2011
    Isn't MCA a co-owner of Obsidian Entertainment? I believe he is.

16. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Nov 26, 2007
    So ~as an owner; (if still), then he doesn't actually have to [day to day] work there, does he? He would get profits from any of their successful projects, while working on his own.

17. Gnarles Bronson

Oct 30, 2011
    I do know that, but that doesn't mean future games need to follow the same formula -- the transition from FO2 to 3 as example. I'm happy with the IP of WL2, and think there are probably more stories to be told in that world that don't necessarily need the squad element.

Of course I'd be happy with a completely new post apoc IP, but that doesn't seem like the most likely business decision to me.

18. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    And that worked out so well. :eyebrow:

19. Gnarles Bronson

Oct 30, 2011
    That's like saying "Mcdonalds made a hamburger with guacamole and it was gross so Eric Ripert's will be too!"

I'm confident inexile could succeed where beth failed.

20. fred2

Nov 2, 2013
    I would be completely happy with any old school RPG, it is FARGO insulting sales pitches that I can do without... WL2 wasn't that good (and i hate kickstarters. I backed to start them off, not to become a life time investor, show me the product i'll show you the money, no pre-oreders)

@Gizmojunk, nice, but I know you know that one is just a gimmick and the other is the keys of the kingdom, so I won't rub it in ;)