Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

Truth told, it doesn't surprise me that much. He did so much other shit on the side in the past months / years. Writing for Wasteland 2, writing for FTL, doing that comic stuff, giving a helping hand in that Nuka Break web series, also doing the same for the Legend of Grimrock web series, oh and that Wasteland 2 novella that still isn't released yet, because apparently it became something bigger. Almost makes me feel like he is looking for something new already for a while.

Did you ... did you, just called Wasteland 2 shit!

Will Obsidian survive this ?

Sure. MCA was their poster boy and they'll need to market their own talents more, but it's not like he did everything by himself (a ton of stuff from FNV praised on these forums had nothing to do with him, for example).

That's probably New Vegas 2 down the drain then. It was nice knowin' ya Fallout series.

Why? As far as I know, he wasn't involved in brokering the deal, nor did he have an instrumental role in the development of the game. He did lead the DLCs, sure, and I'm sure some people would miss his authorial style, but it doesn't mean anything concerning a NV2. Hell, to play the devil's advocate, considering that MCA was the one that broke out the news about New Vegas' contract, Bethesda might even be more willing to work with Obsidian again now that he's gone.

MCA, I thank you for the hours of fun Ive had because of projects you've worked on and I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

I'm sure Obsidian will be fine as will any prospects we have of a "New Vegas 2"

New Vegas was mostly Sawyer's brainchild as far as I can tell, and Avellone only really worked on the DLCs.

I have no idea how to feel about this, as he didn't mention anything about retiring. Can someone tell me how i should feel about this?

I'm so glad! Now the chances of another Fallout made by Obsidian is even less! It seems like Bethesda will be making the games from now on! Super happy right now.

I can't wait for more writing like this. Shoutouts to our very own oihrebwe here at NMA, his post with this image was one of the first I got when I googled "Bad fallout 3 dialogue" for reference.

el8px1.jpg

I see these posts about Fallout 3's horrid dialogue and so often I just refuse to believe I'm seeing it with my own two eyes. My memories of the game are a little nicer to it than this.

Reactions: mef
To be fair, remembering something someone just said is probably the biggest show of intelligence for the FO3 writters.

I see these posts about Fallout 3's horrid dialogue and so often I just refuse to believe I'm seeing it with my own two eyes. My memories of the game are a little nicer to it than this.

[Intelligence] So you don't believe your eyes seeing Fallout 3 dialogue posts on No Mutants Allowed.

“‘Oh No, William And Mary Won’t Do …’”

“valick” said:
Who knows? MCA and Todd Howard are former classmates or something like that, aren't they?

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/06/question-time-your-interview-with-chris-avellone/

Chris Avellone says (sadly) he never met Todd Howard.

If MCA transferred in from Virginia Tech, they would have missed possibly mixing during freshman year, or during freshman / sophomore - area / sequence class requirements.

If TH was paying out of state tuition, he might have been psychologically wound up and be ‘too’ serious to hang with lotus eating (in state) humanities majors.

W + M is not a large college, but living off campus or in a frat would limit the social circle,

and if they both double majored to cobble together a more interesting degree, TH would have been spending his time on the newer campus (business, physics, and math),

and MCA between old campus (english lit classrooms) and the fine arts building (architectural studio).

The great “what if” would be if both played the same (OR RIVAL!) pen and paper RPG, fantastic chance for speculative drama at that nexus that never was.

Interesting fodder for fan fiction?

Vehicle for “meeting of the minds” game theory ideological soap boxing? ;)

4too

Truth told, it doesn't surprise me that much. He did so much other shit on the side in the past months / years. Writing for Wasteland 2, writing for FTL, doing that comic stuff, giving a helping hand in that Nuka Break web series, also doing the same for the Legend of Grimrock web series, oh and that Wasteland 2 novella that still isn't released yet, because apparently it became something bigger. Almost makes me feel like he is looking for something new already for a while.

Did you ... did you, just called Wasteland 2 shit!
More importantly he called FTL shit!

Back