Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

I actually saw this being tweeted live on my API yesterday morning, kind of broke my heart. While I'll definitely miss him being a part of Obsidian, it's still a studio of veterans and incredibly talented people. The potential prospect of New Vegas 2 developed by Obsidian, of which we're all hoping for, would still very much be in excellent hands.

Wish both parties the best, of course.

Will join Inxile for the Van Buren Project, I'm calling it.
There.... there's a Van Buren project?

InXile apparently secured a "Van Buren" trademark. Fargo said something along the lines of that it's just in case they come up with something good after they finish working on Torment.
Van Buren, not Fallout Van Buren. Since they can't used any Fallout stuff, its an empty name only useful for marketing purposes to attract more attention from old school guys..

Anyway, Avellon has been working with obsidian\inxile for a while. At Inxile he worked on W2, is currently working on the new PST and possibly will work on the new bards tale.

The thing that bothers me is that Obsidian is the larger and more established studio, if he moves to Inxile it doens't bodes well for its future projects.. (before pillars of eternity Obsidian was about to be closed)

Last edited:
Why someone would move from Obsidian to InXile is difficult for me to imagine, but anyway.

I'm not sure whether to vomit in my mouth at the waste of talent, or foolishly light an infintessimal flame of hope at the prospect he'll work on Fallout 4. Actually, I think I'll vomit in my mouth since I'm fairly sure it's still going to be a bad FPS regardless of writing. But then there can't possibly be enough development time left on Fallout 4 for him to work on it.

Last edited:
Why someone would move from Obsidian to InXile is difficult for me to imagine, but anyway.
That why I speculated that he is retiring, but most seem to think he is going to InXile...

Also Personally, I don't like InXile or maybe its just Fargo, I think he is riding the whole old' school meal ticket way too much, with his mouth writing checks his ass can't cash a.k.a W2.

Last edited:
The guy is been working on a lot of projects recently, why would he be retiring just because he left one company?

Will join Inxile for the Van Buren Project, I'm calling it.
There.... there's a Van Buren project?

InXile apparently secured a "Van Buren" trademark. Fargo said something along the lines of that it's just in case they come up with something good after they finish working on Torment.

I asked if Fargo was doing anything with the Van Buren trademark. “Not yet,” he replied. “But there were some things, some ideas, that Chris Avellone had for doing something that made the post-apoc – a twist on the whole what-was-being-done that we really loved. So we talked about it and we thought why not grab the rights so we can entertain this one of these days.
“But nothing now,” he stressed. “We have enough on our plate to be doing that right this second.”
(Source).

The guy is been working on a lot of projects recently, why would he be retiring just because he left one company?

Exactly because he has been working on a lot of projects. He has been in the industry for a long time, the kick starter brought back the olden' glory and sometimes people like to leave while they are ahead... maybe he was planing on a carrier in writing e.g. primarily making novellas. To me it makes more sense then leaving Obsidian.. or going to InXile (but then again I am very uninformed on this)

I asked if Fargo was doing anything with the Van Buren trademark. “Not yet,” he replied. “But there were some things, some ideas, that Chris Avellone had for doing something that made the post-apoc – a twist on the whole what-was-being-done that we really loved. So we talked about it and we thought why not grab the rights so we can entertain this one of these days.
“But nothing now,” he stressed. “We have enough on our plate to be doing that right this second.”
(Source).
Like I said nothing but marketing. Add 'old school' and 'bad publishers' to this "something something, Chris Aellone, Post-Apoc" and you get older fan crying like school girls for Fargo to shut up and take their money.

Last edited:
Just because a name that's been seen in one series pops up elsewhere doesn't mean it's been revived

For all we know, Van Buren will turn out to be some kind of dating sim

Rashomon Reading Tea Leaves

@ valcik

And, thank you for bringing up historical contexts.

We are connecting as many data dots as possible trying to divine MCA’s future.

If we were english literature / computer game industry double majors, we could save delving into the pontificating on the synchronicity of institutional enrollments for our master’s thesis!

Forever onward, higher and deeper! :D

Or, I could not spin the straws I grasp into anything more than a door mat to wipe clean, leave behind my personal tracks, staying comfortably in the obvious.

MCA and TH are more than chronological contemporaries.

4too

Truth told, it doesn't surprise me that much. He did so much other shit on the side in the past months / years. Writing for Wasteland 2, writing for FTL, doing that comic stuff, giving a helping hand in that Nuka Break web series, also doing the same for the Legend of Grimrock web series, oh and that Wasteland 2 novella that still isn't released yet, because apparently it became something bigger. Almost makes me feel like he is looking for something new already for a while.

Did you ... did you, just called Wasteland 2 shit!

Is it somehow shocking these days to tell the truth on NMA?

Van Buren, not Fallout Van Buren. Since they can't used any Fallout stuff, its an empty name only useful for marketing purposes to attract more attention from old school guys..

I would be completely happy with fallout clone without any FO IP done by inexile -- they can call it Wasteland: Van Buren. Just lone-wanderer style, I didn't much care for the squad based bit in WL2

...its an empty name only useful for marketing purposes to attract more attention from old school guys.
Just like Bethesda did with the name "Fallout 3".

Sick burn bro.

I would be completely happy with fallout clone without any FO IP done by inexile -- they can call it Wasteland: Van Buren. Just lone-wanderer style, I didn't much care for the squad based bit in WL2

WL1 was squad-based and that's why WL2 was squad-based. I'm sure you know that though.

Last edited:

WL1 was squad-based and that's why WL2 was squad-based. I'm sure you know that though.

I do know that, but that doesn't mean future games need to follow the same formula -- the transition from FO2 to 3 as example. I'm happy with the IP of WL2, and think there are probably more stories to be told in that world that don't necessarily need the squad element.

Of course I'd be happy with a completely new post apoc IP, but that doesn't seem like the most likely business decision to me.

Last edited:

I would be completely happy with any old school RPG, it is FARGO insulting sales pitches that I can do without... WL2 wasn't that good (and i hate kickstarters. I backed to start them off, not to become a life time investor, show me the product i'll show you the money, no pre-oreders)

@Gizmojunk, nice, but I know you know that one is just a gimmick and the other is the keys of the kingdom, so I won't rub it in ;)

Last edited:
Back