Duke Nukem Forever

maximaz said:
It sure is ugly but it has a very good old vibe about it. Nowadays games are all about being taken seriously. Even comedy in games is striving to be on a certain level. This just feels fun. For games by gamers type of vibe... did I just say that?

As long as it feels natural, though. I still remember the disappointment over Serious Sam 2, because compared to the first two laid-back games, it was just trying too fucking hard.

Looking at the last trailer, I must say the voice acting is horrible, graphics mediocre at best.

I've never been so aware that the voice of the main character is coming from some fat guy comfortably sitting in a sound recording studio somewhere.

Also, lame humor throughout (and not 'cool' lame like before) has me doubting whether I'll even buy the game. :(

SkuLL said:
Looking at the last trailer, I must say the voice acting is horrible, graphics mediocre at best.

I've never been so aware that the voice of the main character is coming from some fat guy comfortably sitting in a sound recording studio somewhere.

Also, lame humor throughout (and not 'cool' lame like before) has me doubting whether I'll even buy the game. :(

Did you even play the first one?

Horrible voice acting? Check.
Mediocre graphics? Check.

Did it matter? No... it was fun.

I'm thinking were all forgetting that the original Duke Nuke'em 3D came out when we were at a physical and mental age very different from who we are now. One the one hand you want to see the developers cater to our newer more "refined" tastes yet at the same time the game has to stay true to its original style. There are plenty of games to choose from currently so I'd say do something different and stay original.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Autoheal.
Useless car stages.
Gameplay optimized for Xbawks.
Yet I still hope that it will be awesome.

well the first one was a side scrolling platform game, and if you are referring to duke nukem 3D it was dos, back in those days, (and I remember them well) graphics didn't really matter much, and graphic cards weren't really around. (while there were early sound cards, but they came a bit later

but anyway, back to the point, the graphics were dos, and old, the voice was cheesy anyway, but the game was fun

I wouldn't mind giving the new game a shot, lets hope its good

:)

rcorporon said:

Uhh, I though the voice was cool in Duke 3D! You gotta accept what the technology could offer.

But now, idunnohowmanyyears later, it sounds like they're still using the same methods! Flat-sounding one-liners, pasted over the rest of the game sounds. It honestly sounds really, really bad and lazy; more like someone talking over voicecom than anything. Very disappointing (seeing as virtually all of Duke's image comes from the one-liners).

The graphics I don't really care about, but it is surprising to see it looks so mediocre after so many years in production, etc. Not a biggie if the game plays well, of course. The sound is important, though.

Graphics doesn't look bad to me. Not Crysis, yes, but I don't really care. The game is in the void already since so many years, kind of a wonder it comes at all.

To be fair, most of the stuff like Driving stages and that seemed to be already in the original work by 3D Realms on the leaks near 2009(or was it 2010?). It's not really like Gearbox radically changed the game.

To me it looks like Gearbox just polished up what's there and maybe closed some holes.

Yea, there have been screens of the Duke monster truck for years, it's like seeing an old friend when it turned up in the trailer.

Only two weapons? So a gun and his kickin' boot then? :V

sea said:
rcorporon said:

Really, if you thought that Duke Nukem 3D had great graphics or voice-acting... you must have been on something. Duke's voice is iconic, but not great. What holds the games up today is the level design - it's still an extremely creative and varied game, it's pretty lengthy, and the action is fun on some sort of fundamental level. Plug it into the EDuke32 engine with the HRP updates and it is more fun than most modern shooters.

Gearbox's game seems more or less in line with that. While I'm not a big fan of some of the modern elements like the driving, my biggest fear is in how it's going to play. Duke Nukem 3D was a very fast and precise game, and that will likely suffer on consoles, especially once you get iron sights aiming and all that in there. If the PC version feels less Serious Sam HD and more awkward Call of Duty clone, then that'll be the real nail in the coffin.

I am not sure if that is really the point.

Dukes voice cant be and should not be changed. But the "quality" of the recording sure has changed. To simply say that "it was bad back then so it has to be bad today" is just ridiculous.

Visuals have been important (at least for me) back then with duke 3D just as they are today with any other shooter. That is one of their main points. Hence why Duke 3D was not again a 2D sequel (well Duke Manhatten was kinda funny and cool which was also just "pseudo 2D" gameplay). If they can improve the visuals than that is what they should do.

It's certainly not hilarious but I was actually hoping it wouldn't be. It's just campy fun, like the original. The trailer made me smile and a little brain dead and that's the way I remember good ol' Duke.

EDIT. Besides, it looks like they just finished the 3D Realms game, which should technically mean that the original feel should still be there somewhere.

Gearbox didn't have the time to rebuild the entire game from scratch, and why would they? They game was pretty much finished when they got their hands on it.

It looks like a good ol' time. Violence, gore, tits, cursing. Everything i remember about Duke.

It doesn't look bad. It doesn't look amazing. It looks like I expected it to look, like a fun couple hours of gameplay. Nothing special.

If you ask me DNF is just Call of Duty with a Duke Nukem skin. Regenerating health, 2-weapon limit and Xbox controls.

Really now, Call of Duty is irritating because of things beyond it's mechanics.

There's really nothing wrong with regenerating health when it's done well and the two weapon limit (stupid as it is) can be overcome if there's a lot of guns lying around rather than just giving the player weapons "when he needs them".

The key difference between the two is pacing, Call of Duty has mechanics that should make the game fast-paced, but they always lock the player into situations where they're held down by infinitely spawning foes, that's stupid design.

Provided that they don't do that in Duke and the gameplay stays relatively fast paced and insane, it'll be fun.

I seriously hate this new mangled way of making FPS.
Everything must conform to Halo (which wasn't that good anyway?) and I cannot figure out WHY?!
WHY does it have to be this way?
Because it is easier for gamepads?

I just don't get it. They're limiting everything. Make it simpler. Make it dumber.
Get more sales. Rape it to death.
Oh god I hate it so much.
And I think the fault lies here:
1208296135952.jpg

Back