Fallout Tactics mod Equilibrium (2.2)

Any timeline for the ReDux 1.2 compatible version?
I know i can run this with 1.2 already, but I assume I'm gonna face some serious bugs with it?

Yeah, you probably will encounter bugs , he tampered with creatures some more in 1.2, and you also won't get any of his fixes in a few missions I modified.

I'm 90% done with sprites, some 20 left, a bit of polishing and I might try my hand at some projectile sprites. What's left is weapon sounds, some more tweaks to weapons, also quartermaster rework, a bit of creature rebalance and weapon progression which should be a lot faster than visual stuff. Unfortunately, the last two would ideally be done on his 1.21 version because he encountered some more bugs and I'd have to do it all over again once those are squashed and he releases the next version. So, if I'm done with everything else in a month and he releases the new version by then, it would probably be a month and a half. If he doesn't, then it will be two weeks after 1.21 comes out.

There is a few things that bother me. I started playing with Redux Version 1.1 and BalanceDux installed on it, I never played vanilla game, so I don't sure what cause one thing or another.
First thing, is that raider equipped with ak47 and broken bottle in random encounters, mostly spawned without ammo, and therefore just rush you with their broken bottle what doesn't seems right. Its reduces the firepower of raiders random encounters, make them easier. I don't know what cause this and how to fix it.
Second thing is that activator in bunker alpha what gives you 1500exp every time when you use it, probably was added in Redux, I'm not sure such thing must even be in the game.

There is a few things that bother me. I started playing with Redux Version 1.1 and BalanceDux installed on it, I never played vanilla game, so I don't sure what cause one thing or another.

Mixing different mods in a game usually isnt a good idea, wait for unexpected problems to happen.

After having played all the mod, I am a little bit concerned about the very last missions. The Vault 0 missions and the ones just before (the exterior entrance and the mission with the reaver leaders). First, I think there are too many Behemots in the reaver leaders missions. I think this is great that they are as much powerful and that we are obliged to avoid them. But they seems to shoot too quickly (really more quickly than in the original game I think). In the original game, I remember having fun playing a lot with these robots that was slow to make a rotation and unable to shoot when not facing the squad. So I was just moving around them and shooting them on the back. I think this is not possible anymore in the Mod. The behemots are too quick for their size and so deadly that it gets frustrating when there are too many in the map. Also, it seems to not make sense that there are more behemots in the reaver leaders mission than really close to Vault 0.

And finally, I think the turrets are too quick to shoot in Vault 0. You just can't run there and quickly shoot from a gun, or a missile launcher, the turrets will always hit you first (almost instantally) and almost always kill you in one attack. That made one particular place in a bunker (I think first mission of Vault 0) almost impossible to go through at some point because of the deadly turrets that (I think) can't be disabled anywhere.

First thing, is that raider equipped with ak47 and broken bottle in random encounters, mostly spawned without ammo, and therefore just rush you with their broken bottle what doesn't seems right. Its reduces the firepower of raiders random encounters, make them easier. I don't know what cause this and how to fix it.
Second thing is that activator in bunker alpha what gives you 1500exp every time when you use it, probably was added in Redux, I'm not sure such thing must even be in the game.
Yes, no ammo is a problem in the vanilla game too, i think Endocore did some more work on random encounters in Redux 1.2 but I haven't played it yet so I can't tell if it's fixed or not. The XP machine was removed in 1.2 so that's one thing off the list.

Mixing different mods in a game usually isnt a good idea, wait for unexpected problems to happen.
In this case it's the opposite, it won't even work properly without Redux.

After having played all the mod, I am a little bit concerned about the very last missions. The Vault 0 missions and the ones just before (the exterior entrance and the mission with the reaver leaders). First, I think there are too many Behemots in the reaver leaders missions. I think this is great that they are as much powerful and that we are obliged to avoid them. But they seems to shoot too quickly (really more quickly than in the original game I think). In the original game, I remember having fun playing a lot with these robots that was slow to make a rotation and unable to shoot when not facing the squad. So I was just moving around them and shooting them on the back. I think this is not possible anymore in the Mod. The behemots are too quick for their size and so deadly that it gets frustrating when there are too many in the map. Also, it seems to not make sense that there are more behemots in the reaver leaders mission than really close to Vault 0.

And finally, I think the turrets are too quick to shoot in Vault 0. You just can't run there and quickly shoot from a gun, or a missile launcher, the turrets will always hit you first (almost instantally) and almost always kill you in one attack. That made one particular place in a bunker (I think first mission of Vault 0) almost impossible to go through at some point because of the deadly turrets that (I think) can't be disabled anywhere.
It most likely won't be a problem anymore, I'm planning to do a full balance pass of all the missions so you can be sure nothing will oneshot you or not give you a sporting chance. Actually, I decided to go the opposite direction in the end, make weapons weaker overall but armor more sucky, damage threshold in particular is causing way too many problems if it's too high.

Unfortunately, Endocore discovered a few more bugs in 1.2 so I'll most likely be finishing this whenever he releases the next version. In the meantime and a metric ton of sprites later I finally completed the visual part :applause here: so it's just weapon sounds and that balancing pass on missions left. Want some teasers? :)

If the damage threshold is never higher than the highest damage of all weapons of the same type, example : Maximum damage threshold for the best armor to 150 for explosions, and all grenades and rocket doing all at least a maximum damage of 200, all explosions always have a slight chance of inflicting damage to a unit with maximum protection. Then, if minimal damage for explosion is, let say, 50, then most of the time the threshold protection works, but all player know that sometimes it fails to protect and don't give up fighting.

Also, I think mods could make a better use of combat damage threshold by assigning more clear difference between types of damage. I mean, creating armors than protect a lot from normal damage but not at all from electricity, a lot from fire but not at all from energy, etc.

Wasn't an easy decision but I ultimately went with removing damage threshold almost completely. The main reason was it rendered armor piercing almost completely ineffective unless we're talking about ridiculous amounts with no damage penalty like DU ammo. That happens because DT is applied before resistance in the same step with ammo damage penalty, so DT removes a higher amount of damage that it would to normal ammo, usually completely negating its armor piercing effect in the next step. At the same time, the ammo with hollow point effect isn't as ineffective against armor as it should be if DT is high, because ammo damage bonus renders DT less effective.

Here's an example, we'll use H&K CAWS which does 36-54 damage per shot.
Normal ammo does 32,3 damage to leather armor and 15,6 damage to advanced power armor
Hollow point variant does 38,5 damage to leather armor and 13,2 damage to advanced power armor
Armor piercing ammo does 31,8 damage to leather armor and 25 damage to advanced power armor

Now that's the way all three ammo variants currently behave in my current version and it looks pretty much spot on to me. In vanilla game AP ammo is about as effective as normal one or worse on light armor and JHP is better than normal even against power armor. Another reason for the change is high threshold renders high fire rate low damage weapons like miniguns completely ineffective, and it tends to screw up the damage of additional attack modes I gave some h2h weapons, like 'pummel' on power fist.

I did some armor diversification, for instance, power armor offers only basic protection against electricity and good protection versus gas, however environmental armor is better in both categories while not being much worse in others so it can be a solid option in some situations while Tesla armor is the king against energy and electricity. The reason for that is the game states pulse weapons were developed in the first place to be used versus power armor so they should be effective against it and robots, though I'll probably reduce their damage a bit to make them less effective than laser or plasma versus other targets.

I didn't know before that the two protections always works together... So if you add 20 fire DT & 90% fire DR (90 is the maximum effective value), then both reductions will be applied and the residual damage will be really really low, clearly less than 10%. Also, it seems that when you change the "normal" DR of an armor, it also affect the "resistance" of the character. Is that true?

Yeah, first you apply ammo damage modifier to the weapon damage roll, then you deduct the armor damage threshold from the remaining number after which you apply damage resistance of your armor. The 'resistance' stat on character screen is the same as your normal damage reduction on inventory screen, right, no idea why they put it there.

Yeah, working on it around the clock.

Well, not exactly around the clock but I've stepped it up lately, I started on more stuff while waiting for Redux 1.3 so I needed to finish that up first and Endocore hasn't updated the first post in his thread so I had no idea it even came out until a few weeks ago, silly me. Anyway, the end of the tunnel is visible and it's shaping up nicely.

Well I was really suprised too with 1.3 realease. anyway I am really looking forward to test your addon.

And I'm honestly looking forward to finishing it already :)

It was a lot of work, every single weapon and ammo piece got new sprites, the whole of weapon progression reworked and rebalanced from the ground up, crap weapons replaced with ones that make more sense, some brand new high level weapons added with unique sound effects and use modes, a few impact and projectile sprites, ammo system was also reworked significantly, empty handed combat got a full overhaul and so on. It's kinda amazing that most emp weapons weren't doing electric damage at all, the game is full of small crap like that.

I'm currently playing with sound effects, you can expect most weapons in the game to sound differently now instead all heavy guns sounding the same and some weapons (like cattle prod) had no swing sound at all, had to really put the elbow grease on some of them as it's amazingly hard to find a sound of swinging an energy weapon that isn't a bloody lightsaber.

Seems like I'll also need to have a pass at critters and races, Endocore changed it a lot in 1.2 so enemies would probably be impossible to kill and I'd like to soup up non-human races too, deathclaws in particular.

Redux was updated? :) Looking forward to checking it out. I guess I need to update to the new Mod Launcher, since I'm still using the old version. Hopefully the new version doesn't require an internet connection to run.

Almost done, only last mission left to go through, do some tweaks and fix some sprites that don't really look the way they should. Added some more things I haven't initially planned for too.

And here it is at last.

I hope everyone enjoys it, comments and feedback are very much welcome.

We have suffered a small setback, brothers. If anyone from here downloaded the mod before before 18:30 CT, he or she (you just never know) should redownload it, there were some problems with the package which have been resolved.

Last edited:
Back