Fallout 2 Restoration Project 1.0 (Unofficial FO2 Expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a lot for this mod killap, in addition to your patch. I really admire your dedication to this game.

I still play through Fallout 1 & 2 once a year and read the NMA site every now and then, so I was happily surprised to see your mod. I never even knew somebody was working on this :).

McRae said:
... have you thought about reinstalling Fallout 2 with an HUMUNGOUS installation? Only then patched with Killap's mod? It often solves a lot of problem.

Exactly the way I've made...

Whenever I play the game with the mod there is no music. Is there something I have to do extra to turn the music back on?

Naissus said:
Whenever I play the game with the mod there is no music. Is there something I have to do extra to turn the music back on?

Put ze music files in ze music folder manually

Savegames invisible with the patch

Hi and many thanks.

When I added the (1.02.22)-patch the savegames became invisible. I un-installed and just re-installed the original KILLAP Restoration mod, with the crash-bugs, and the savegames are visible again. But whenever I patch it with (1.02.22) the saves dissapears in the load meny again. (The files are still intact in the fallout2 folder)

Any clues?

Thank you for the great mod =) Although I have finished Fallout 2 many times already, it made me install the game all over again and play. Nice job.

I haven't noticed problems with the gameplay so far, at least not many of them:

1. In the Den, I was about to finish the church quest. Saved right before the attack (outside of combat). Our party killed the church guards. I talked to Lara (that's her name iirc) and was transported to the Tyler party. I was killed there by a critical, so I reloaded. Once again, we killed all the church guards and I ended combat mode. When I talked to Lara, however, she did not transport us to Tyler. She used her text for when you meet her for the very first time, offering me some cash if I tell her what is stored in the church. No game crash, so I played on.

2. After finishing the orphange quest, I returned to the Den after ~two months and there were children on the streets (still trying to mug me). Is this normal or should they be gone?

3. I encountered Kaga for the first time when I was travelling from Arroyo to Klamath. After the speech, combat began. Luckily for me, I scored a critical hit with my spear against him and he fell down unconcious. He wasn't getting up (I could end combat at any time), so I just kept poking him with my spear until he was dead. Collected 1000$, a super stimpack and probably a spear or a 10mm pistol (don't remember). My feelings about it - this was too easy + the reward was too big. I hope I won't kill him the next game.

And now something crashing the game for me.

I'm in NCR and picked up the quest to kill the slavers outside. The game crashes every time the guy in the metal armor thinks of shooting at me. Every time he's in range and has line of sight, a crash. I didn't pick Awareness yet and I don't remeber what weapon he has. Does it have something to do with weapon sounds?

I have a fresh installation, with the 1.02 patch and your mod on top of it. From the components, I think I installed new sounds, missing children, b-team and Goris de-robing.

Thanks in advance for answering.

br13 said:
Does it have something to do with weapon sounds?

I have a fresh installation, with the 1.02 patch and your mod on top of it. From the components, I think I installed new sounds, missing children, b-team and Goris de-robing.
Was the ammo mod available when you installed the Expansion? If so, uninstall it and re-download it. Then try it without any of the optional mods, as they seem to be the major cause of crashes...

Didn't quite understand you there. Installed this mod on a freshly installed Fallout 2 1.02.

Anyway, I'll try uninstalling and installing again without the sounds.

I also remember I had a lot of trouble with b-team mod in the past. Game crashing lots of times. But seems to work okay now.

Fallout 2 is a really strange game. I haven't seen anything else that makes bugs this much of a problem.

br13 said:
Didn't quite understand you there.
Sorry. What I meant was: the Expansion installer (.exe) was updated on the site at least once, and the first time it was updated the "ammo mod" was removed from the installer since it caused problems. So if you have an old version of the Expansion installer (which includes the "ammo mod"), you should uninstall your current Expansion, re-download the installer from this site, and install it. Also, when installing, if you don't select any of the optional mods, there's less risk of bugs/crashes, since many of the problems found apparently are due to these optional mods.
EDIT: all of this info is available earlier in the thread, so if I'm still being confusing, just go back and read all the posts by killap. He's been very helpful with feedback.

Re: Savegames invisible with the patch

Agrippa said:
Hi and many thanks.

When I added the (1.02.22)-patch the savegames became invisible. I un-installed and just re-installed the original KILLAP Restoration mod, with the crash-bugs, and the savegames are visible again. But whenever I patch it with (1.02.22) the saves dissapears in the load meny again. (The files are still intact in the fallout2 folder)

Any clues?

Read previous posts in this thread, also try reading the information during install while using the Installer version of the Restoration Pack or read the ReadMe file in the manual version.

The bottom line is READ!!!

Firstly, thanks for the awesome mod, it's inspired me to fire up Fallout 2 again, been almost 2 years since my last jaunt on the wastes.

Slight problem however, not found any bugs as such, but could I get instructions on returning the word map speed to normal? To be honest it'd doing my tits in. :P

Random encounters seem a little over the top too, for a wasteland it's rather busy.

Thank you!

Re: Grave

killap said:
Ah, took me a minute to realize what was going on here. So, the installer checks to see what version of Windows you are running and then copies over the appropriate ddarw files. Since you are running Wine, it seems like the installer gets confused. So, I haven't used Wine in a good while, so I don't know how far they have progressed and how it might fool an installer into think what OS it is running. Either way, you probably want to just use manual install. The readme that comes with it will tell you what you want to do from there. You have either a choice of using the Win 9x (windows 95/98/ME) ddraw files or the Windows 2000,XP,Vista ddraw files. The readme should outline everything though. Just uninstall the expansion and use the manual one.

The readme.txt that comes in the package that I found from the first page of this thread "F2_Restoration_Project_1.0.rar" did not include installation instructions. "unofficialFO2patch_manual_install.rar" includes installation instructions in the readme.txt but that package was not needed if I understood correctly. Anyhow this is what I did:

I removed Fallout2 directory and started fresh. Installed FA2 (Humongous) and then unpacked the "F2_Restoration_Project_1.0.rar" into the directory. So I got lots of new files under "data" and two Windows* -directories. Then I copied all the files from "Windows 95-98-ME" to Fallout2 directory overwriting fallout2.exe and adding the ddraw.ini and sfall.dll. After this I started the game but the menu says 1.02 in the lower right corner and I could not find any rocks in front of the temple (Maybe I did not know where to look). I also tried with the "Windows NT-XP-VISTA" -files which did not do me any good.

The weird part is that if I take the fallout2.exe, and sfall.dll from the "unofficialFO2patch_manual_install.rar" then the version number in the menu is "FALLOUT II 1.02.22 EXP 1.0".. Haven't looked for the rock though... Would it work if just take these files from the "unofficialFO2patch_manual_install.rar" ?

tomten said:
br13 said:
Didn't quite understand you there.
Sorry. What I meant was: the Expansion installer (.exe) was updated on the site at least once, and the first time it was updated the "ammo mod" was removed from the installer since it caused problems. So if you have an old version of the Expansion installer (which includes the "ammo mod"), you should uninstall your current Expansion, re-download the installer from this site, and install it. Also, when installing, if you don't select any of the optional mods, there's less risk of bugs/crashes, since many of the problems found apparently are due to these optional mods.
EDIT: all of this info is available earlier in the thread, so if I'm still being confusing, just go back and read all the posts by killap. He's been very helpful with feedback.
I tried to find clues to solving my problem in this thread, but after reading ~8 pages, I decided to just post. It seems it was just a sound bug and after uninstalling this feature everything's fine. Thanks.

Hi there, my congratulations to Killap and his co-workers to have achieved so much for Fallout 2.

But i'm afraid I have still some work for you...
I run Windows Server 2003, and you already are guessing what's going wrong...

The facts:
1)FO2 installs with original CD without a flaw, but doesn't start (just the loading screen is appearing quickly before closing the app).
2)When installing US patch vers. 1.02d, the game runs fine...
3)From a clean install, patching to FO2_restoration will give the same problem UNLESS I remove ddraw.dll (guess this is our big hint).
4)Without that file (and keeping ddraw.ini) the game runs fine with new improvements FOR SO FAR I HAVE SEEN (wich means nothing, I just managed to get trough the temple until now).

How can I make sure it will work fine, and, if not, how can I (or someone else) make a compatible version of ddraw.dll for WIN2003?

Thank you so much for any help!

desim1985 said:
I run Windows Server 2003, and you already are guessing what's going wrong...

The facts:
1)FO2 installs with original CD without a flaw, but doesn't start (just the loading screen is appearing quickly before closing the app).
There's no reason it should be incompatible with win2003. Try setting the compatibility mode to windows xp. (Assuming win2003 lets you do that? I've never used it, so just going on what vista lets you do.) If that doesn't work, download the manual version and extract the contents of the 'windows 95-98-ME' folder on top of your fallout folder. (And if that still doesn't work, you can try win95/win98 compatibility mode)

desim1985 said:
4)Without that file (and keeping ddraw.ini) the game runs fine with new improvements FOR SO FAR I HAVE SEEN (wich means nothing, I just managed to get trough the temple until now).
Without ddraw.dll, any script using the new scripting functions will crash. That is certainly going to cause you problems later on in the game.

Thank you for bothering about me Timeslip ^^

Timeslip said:
There's no reason it should be incompatible with win2003. Try setting the compatibility mode to windows xp. (Assuming win2003 lets you do that? I've never used it, so just going on what vista lets you do.) If that doesn't work, download the manual version and extract the contents of the 'windows 95-98-ME' folder on top of your fallout folder. (And if that still doesn't work, you can try win95/win98 compatibility mode)

Indeed, compatibility mode with windows XP works,
but only for unpatched version and patched with US 1.02d version...
This is what I tried said:
WINDOWS XP MODE:
original
patch US 1.02d

patch US 1.02d + Restoration for XP
patch US 1.02d + Restoration for 98
patch Restoration for XP
patch Restoration for 98

WINDOWS 98 MODE:
original
patch US 1.02d
patch US 1.02d + Restoration for XP
patch US 1.02d + Restoration for 98
patch Restoration for XP
patch Restoration for 98

explanation:
Works
Shows spash screen and quits
doesn't load
calls for the CD

Timeslip said:
Without ddraw.dll, any script using the new scripting functions will crash. That is certainly going to cause you problems later on in the game.
I expected that...
anyway, all the possible versions of Restoration FOR XP without that file are loading to the menu...
(and even make a bit playing possible but I don't know until where).
So I think this file is the element that we have to examine.

Hi to all Falloutomaniacs here :) It's my first post on this forum so I welcome you all :D
First of all, this mod is superb! I fell in love from first sight :)
Now, to the point:
--SPOILER--
I've got (gameplay, not technical) problem in EPA...Where the hell is this gasmask?!?!
I've talked whith this toster and he (it?) said that every scientist had one. I also talked with this damaged hologram, and he ais to me, that if I need any help, I should speak to him...but only option I can choose is ending the dialogue...Maybe I'm blind and I missed a container or something...I have no idea :/
BTW: I'm on lv 12, and I killed 2 whanamingos, centaur, mole rat and radskorpions behind forcefield near that mad doctor...without using any shooting weapon :) I loooove instant kills :D

@ desim1985
Then the only other thing I can suggest is to install windows 95 or 98 into virtual pc and run it from there. :(

Hopefully someone with some experience of win2003 can help you more than I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back