Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.0 (Unofficial FO2 Expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, 2.1 is certainly going to be worth waiting for, I stopped playing FO2 for a bit, as I will have to start again, plus I now in that playthrough, I could have done things a little different, and my stats a bit different too, so Im playing other stuff until this awesome mod is released

good work killap, and hope 2.1 is very soon, can't wait to start playing FO2, again, as this mod changes and enhances that game by miles :D :D :D

@shaggoth
is it running for you now?
please, also read my post here about resolution problems and 2.2e install problems under linux. Maybe it can help you.

BUMP*

I just wanted to say that replaying Fallout 2 with this patch for the SECOND time makes me want to send you MONEY.

I got the latest batch of map fixes in. I'm going through them all now and adding some last minute critter additions from the amazing critter animations thread here. RP 2.1 release is getting closer!

I WANT!!! I WANT!!!

utterly can't wait for this, been holding off from playing this game until this mod comes out, just can't wait to play this again

Was gonna ask whether I should update to the newest sfall 2.10.7z after installing Fallout 2 RP 2.0, but now I see Fallout 2 RP 2.1 is just around the corner!! ?

Not to sound ungrateful, but when might that be? Just wondering whether I should even bother starting RP2.0 or just wait for 2.1 - I gather that 2.1 will be a minor release and as such it might be ready soon?

Either way, wicked work there, killap!!!

SkuLL said:
Not to sound ungrateful, but when might that be? Just wondering whether I should even bother starting RP2.0 or just wait for 2.1
Definitely wait.

SkuLL said:
I gather that 2.1 will be a minor release
Not really. There really isn't any new content, but there are quite a number of bug fixes. 2.1 is an important stability update.

@everyone
I just got all the map fixes checked and everything looks good. I've also implemented all the new critters I wanted and they look quite good in game. Lastly, I think I also got nearly all my documentation done. I'm done for the day and going out to enjoy the evening. It looks like a release will be any day now. :)

Bug with Francis?

Broken Hills. Have a conspirators note (from the dead woman in the caves) in possession. Trying talking with Francis. He just says how cool I am and thanks for saving the town. Oh, and by the way, somehow he didn't talk to me at all when I first entered town (something about me being a bad guy - and that's with a highly positive reputation, before even talking with Manson or Jacob).

RP 2.0.2e, installer, all options on.

Savegame:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/yejgjzu5imm/Francis.zip

PS. Almost forgot to mention... After getting a quest to get Manson out of jail, went to the other jail (one with drunk mutant), picked a lock on the door opposite to the one with mutant, opened it.... And got an 1500 XP or something like that for getting Manson out of jail. Plus the game teleported me into Jackob's home. Sadly, the savegame is not available for that one... But it seems like, the game checks for any jail door, not a specific one. Or there are several instances of the same door. Don't really know how that works however.

I only just joined today after months of watching these forums, checking this thread in particular at least once a day. It just so happened that I got into Fallout around March or so (after it was recommended to me by my cousin waaaay back in the late 90s), played through the first game, and was looking to start Fallout 2.

Then I remembered all the patches I was strongly recommended to get ahold of for F1 before playing it, and assumed--rightly so-- that F2 would be a similar case. So I did some googling, and eventually found this particular thread. I had no idea what this "Restoration Project" thing was, but after reading the first post, I was pretty interested. Then I saw the date, and was all giddy, because it was around April 12th or so, and this thread was posted on the first, meaning that this was some seriously new stuff for a game I was about to play! I was very excited.

Then I started reading the bug reports. The many, many, many bug reports.

So I held off from installing RP 2.0, and have been waiting ever so patiently all this time for RP 2.1. I know there are purists who will tell me that I should play it without RP first, but screw that. I want it all.

Admittedly, it's not all peaches and roses.

I'm a little irritated about what I'm reading about the new maps. From what I hear, the ground is often times cluttered or so full of scenery/junk that sometimes, the only way to loot things is by having the NPC loot order thing turned on. Now, I'm not ungrateful to Pixote for all his hard work, but that really sounds like a temporary fix rather than the solution it's being touted as. Maybe I'm misinformed on that, but it just seems like a half-assed workaround, you know?

I'm also really hoping Morticia (The RP walkthrough lady, right?) will get onto making the RP 2.0/2.1 version soon, rather than letting it rot. I know I should play F2 walkthrough-less, but I'm really only planning on playing it once (for now) and I'd like to do as much as possible.

And now that I've alienated everyone, I just want to tell you, killap:

You, sir, are goddamn awesome for what you are doing, and enduring the constant bitching, all the confusion, all the bug reports, and all the clueless people who wonder what's wrong with their game but it turns out that it's some problem which like 10-20 other people have ALSO had and posted about, here (Were it me, I'd put some note about that ("FFS DON'T INSTALL SFALL OR THE 2.0.2e PATCH AFTER INSTALLING THIS. I AM NOT TELLING YOU AGAIN") in huge, bold red letters in the installer. Unless there's already something like that, in which case I would try to strangle them through the internet when they asked in this thread), and everything else.

You have made what is by all accounts a great game even greater.
You should feel good for what you have done, and be proud of it, no matter how much of a pain the journey was.

Now release 2.1 already, for God's sake. I'm going mad.

killap said:
I just got all the map fixes checked and everything looks good. I've also implemented all the new critters I wanted and they look quite good in game. Lastly, I think I also got nearly all my documentation done. I'm done for the day and going out to enjoy the evening. It looks like a release will be any day now. :)

Sounds good mate, Enjoy your evening. You've certainly earned it.

Suigintou said:
So I held off from installing RP 2.0, and have been waiting ever so patiently all this time for RP 2.1. I know there are purists who will tell me that I should play it without RP first, but screw that. I want it all.

I'm a little irritated about what I'm reading about the new maps. From what I hear, the ground is often times cluttered or so full of scenery/junk that sometimes, the only way to loot things is by having the NPC loot order thing turned on. Now, I'm not ungrateful to Pixote for all his hard work, but that really sounds like a temporary fix rather than the solution it's being touted as. Maybe I'm misinformed on that, but it just seems like a half-assed workaround, you know?

Play the vanilla version first…that was the proper release from BlackIsle. What you find with the RP is a major mod that certainly improves many aspects of the game, but fundamentally it is the combined vision of a dozen people, with Captain Killap at the helm.

I’ll ignore those last comments…but the maps have been slightly de-cluttered for 2.1. The issue with dead critters and scenery isn’t a map issue, but essentially a game engine issue…that hopefully will be rectified, remember even in the vanilla version a dead critter behind a rug was always lost - it’s a pain, but that’s life. :roll:

killap said:
Definitely wait.
There really isn't any new content, but there are quite a number of bug fixes. 2.1 is an important stability update.
Nice one. Good luck buddy!

well, I think if you are going to play FO2 first, ignore the offical patches and install killap's own unofficial patch, as the original game with patches is still buggy, for me personally, I prefer RP over vanilla FO2, so much more content, and a lot more besides,

@Suigintou
if you do play FO2, download killap's patch, but if you decide to give the RP a whirl, (certainly wait until 2.1 is released) just remember that saves from the vanilla game, killap's patch, or anybodies else's patches will not work for RP

but I think RP makes the game a lot better, personally think with it installed, its a brand new game, while I haven't completed FO2 vanilla, but jumped straight into RP, and glad I did,

but your choice

I haven't completed FO2 vanilla

20zs3le.jpg

NCR: In the Rangers dialog, after having eradicated the slaver camp on my own, she says she wants to shake my hand.
I ask "who are you" and get 800 XP for helping the Rangers. I think I should get these about three dialog choices later, if and when I agree to free the NCR slaver pens.

NCR: the police station in the outside map, very possessive critter, I just touched her shelves once, she went red and said get out of here, now I have returned to the map and she goes into combat immediately when I enter her building.

NCR: While the slaver boss goes red and says something about shooting me when I open his bedroom door, I can just walk in, pick any locks i want, and loot. They only go into combat when I speak to a guard.

2.1 coming out soon enough, :clap: Thank you killap.

well I tried playing FO2 vanilla, but encountered some problems with it, this when I originally got the game, but after trying to keep myself hooked to it, I couldn't, si I dropped it, when I thought of giving it another go, I found this mod, and so glad I did,

but I personally don't think its needed to play the vanilla game first, but that is my opinion, someday I will complete vanilla, but so far RP has me hooked, and plays fine on my system,

RP is so close to FO2 creators' original intent that it may as well be considered the official (and final) patch for fallout 2.

DForge said:
RP is so close to FO2 creators' original intent that it may as well be considered the official (and final) patch for fallout 2.

plus with sfall, makes the game a lot more compatible with new systems when without it, I rather play with more content then with less, ok I might get around to playing the vanilla version at some point, but I think RP is miles better, but I don't really see the need to play the vanilla version at all

matthewfarmery said:
...I rather play with more content then with less, ok I might get around to playing the vanilla version at some point, but I think RP is miles better, but I don't really see the need to play the vanilla version at all

I don't care whether you play the 'vanilla' version or not. Really. But, you are obviously missing a key point... one that others have said here before and one that can be reasonably inferred. Yes, of course playing with the RP would make for a better game. (Again, just a reasonable guess on my part, since I have only been reading through the RP threads but haven't actually played it.) But, in order to really appreciate Killap's work and how much was really added, you should play the 'vanilla' version. There is no way of getting a sense of how much different or better the game is by simply reading a changelog/readme file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back