Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.1.2 (Unofficial Expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One question for killap: will the new animations that x'il is working on (like female leather armor MKII) be implemented in future releases of RP? I ask because they are truly amazing, and I always felt like that the MKII versions of armors should have their own animations.

Psihotik said:
will the new animations that x'il is working on (like female leather armor MKII) be implemented in future releases of RP?
A few of his animations have already made their way into the RP. I plan to include more at some point. One reason I haven't done the leather armor MKII is that there is no easy way to use them in game. From a quick glance, it appears that it is hardcoded for the player to use the same animations for both regular and MKII leather armor. No simple file replacement is possible. This should be scriptable in a fairly easy way, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

@everyone
I still have a few more random encounter maps to add edge blockers to. It's a really monotonous task... I've also redone the master.dat patching process during installation, so hopefully there won't be any more problems of the master.dat not getting altered by the installer. This would result in players being unable to save their game. Very few people had this issue though, or at least very few reported about it.

Official RP 2.1.2 release is still planned for this weekend.

Isn't 2.1.2 already released? That is the stated version number in your signature Mr. Bear (also it is dated for a week ago?)

PS: Does it matter what version Fallout 2 is before installing it?

Goweigus said:
Isn't 2.1.2 already released? That is the stated version number in your signature Mr. Bear (also it is dated for a week ago?)
Check the first post in this thread. I always (at least with recent releases) have a week of NMA testing before I officially release it to the public and news announcements are made. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day.

Goweigus said:
PS: Does it matter what version Fallout 2 is before installing it?
It shouldn't matter. Don't go installing other patches first though.

Sorry, and thanks!

I haven't played Fallout 2 yet this year, should I wait another day or 2 for the final release of 2.1.2 or should I get started now? :P

PS: Is there any way for me to increase your wealth/possessions Killap? Your work in the world of Fallout is just so amazing, it almost feels like I'm stealing a whole new game with all this free stuff you throw out here. I recently gave about $100 to DoubleBear Productions (for Dead State), and so in the spirit of giving money out to Bear themed developers, do you have a donation bin of any sort anywhere? :P

PSS: Are there any other mods not included with yours that you recommend I play with? I seem to recall in the past including some Russian mods on top of yours, and I've been out of the NMA loop for awhile. Thanks, and sorry again since the answer to this is probably right under my nose somewhere (please ignore any stupid questions I ask)

Goweigus said:
I haven't played Fallout 2 yet this year, should I wait another day or 2 for the final release of 2.1.2 or should I get started now?
I'd say wait. I really do plan to release shortly, as there is essentially nothing holding me back expect one last bit of testing.

Goweigus said:
PS: Is there any way for me to increase your wealth/possessions Killap? Your work in the world of Fallout is just so amazing, it almost feels like I'm stealing a whole new game with all this free stuff you throw out here. I recently gave about $100 to DoubleBear Productions (for Dead State), and so in the spirit of giving money out to Bear themed developers, do you have a donation bin of any sort anywhere? :P
You know, my friends think I'm crazy that I never put up a palpal link for the work I've done. I've been asked this question several times and I always kinda ignore it. Honestly, I do this as a hobby, so I'm not expecting money. I do have a paypal account that I could link to if people really do want to donate. I'll think about adding it to my site. I won't actively advertise about it though.

Goweigus said:
PSS: Are there any other mods not included with yours that you recommend I play with? I seem to recall in the past including some Russian mods on top of yours, and I've been out of the NMA loop for awhile.
The RP installer includes all the extras that you need. However, I would recommend checking out these goodies. I've never used them myself, but they sound good.

killap said:
Psihotik said:
will the new animations that x'il is working on (like female leather armor MKII) be implemented in future releases of RP?
A few of his animations have already made their way into the RP. I plan to include more at some point. One reason I haven't done the leather armor MKII is that there is no easy way to use them in game. From a quick glance, it appears that it is hardcoded for the player to use the same animations for both regular and MKII leather armor. No simple file replacement is possible.

Killap- if you update critters.lst in ../data/art/critters/ with the animation sequence name and 11, 1 like
"hflmk2,11,1"
Then all you have to do is edit the specific item.pro file to refer to this new animation sequence. It really is that easy! I've tried it out and it works. To get the NPCs to use the animations is a bit trickier though, I believe.

Just wondering; The fast traveling is slow, really slow, even slower than Fallout 1, and after i took up Pathfinder(twice) its still that slow, maybe a car will help, but i have not tried yet.

lemonold said:
Just wondering; The fast traveling is slow, really slow, even slower than Fallout 1, and after i took up Pathfinder(twice) its still that slow, maybe a car will help, but i have not tried yet.

In my opinion the default travel speed of latest release of RP is faster than it should be and there are less encounters than it should be...

I remember my old days playing fallout 2 on the release of its first year... with my pentium mhz 133 and 8 mb ram it was incredibly slow... Walking between towns were really pain and I wasted so much time because of endless encounters and most of them used to waste me until my char got strong... The wasteland was more painful those days... And that's why more enjoyful.

Now the online game FONline 2238 has achieved something close to it with travel map speed... it is slow as it should be close to what I imagine.. but I think it should get even slower... encounter rate should be more and wasteland should really turn into more pain and a place much more difficult to travel and survive which should give you the feeling to think twice before starting to travel from a town to another and to encourage you to prepare yourself better for it.

In Den....

My char wiped out Tyler and his gang before talking to Lara... Then I went to Lara and she wanted me to get permission from Metzger to strike Tyler even the gang is eliminated completely... Then I tried to go to Metzger and Metzger attacked me... Well I leave it to your decision if it should be this way or not if you attack Tyler before you even speak to Lara about this

Save: http://www.2shared.com/file/bhpRmyld/SLOT02.html

killap said:
Psihotik said:
A few of his animations have already made their way into the RP. I plan to include more at some point. One reason I haven't done the leather armor MKII is that there is no easy way to use them in game. From a quick glance, it appears that it is hardcoded for the player to use the same animations for both regular and MKII leather armor. No simple file replacement is possible. This should be scriptable in a fairly easy way, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

That is good news. So, if you are going to implement them, are you going to wait for all the armors to be completed or add them one by one?

Killap- if you update critters.lst in ../data/art/critters/ with the animation sequence name and 11, 1 like
"hflmk2,11,1"
Then all you have to do is edit the specific item.pro file to refer to this new animation sequence. It really is that easy! I've tried it out and it works. To get the NPCs to use the animations is a bit trickier though, I believe.
I agree, if I remember correctly, you can even do that with the mapper, by editing the mk2 armors on the menu bar . You would need to replace all the mk2 armors already placed on the maps thought. If there are any, I can't remember.

Random encounters with "Brahmin fending off Mantis/Scorpions/etc." - the Brahmin never spawn and you only see the other critter type. It happens each time Brahmin are supposed to spawn with other critters (i've seen this twice so far).

Difficult to replicate with a saved game because of the rare nature of the encounter.

Sorry for the re-post, but the other thread is locked and the link to the file is out of date. Since some people were asking about the new animations..

begin re-post:

Hey guys, I threw together a few files for people to 'quickly' enable some of the new animations found in the animations thread in this forum.

This pack will let you use some of the new male + female hero animations found in the NMA thread New Animations 2. It enables the dark brown hero animations for combat leather armor mk2, rather than the default green. It also makes the combat armor mk2 hero animations black, and the brotherhood armor hero animations blue. The inventory / ground images have been updated with new community art.

mxmpF.jpg

NOTE: This will only work if you use the default male/female hero model, not the long hair dude, medium hair dude or baldie mod. It may work, and just give you the wrong model or it may crash your game.

This mod contains ZERO content made by me, it just modifies the leather armor mk2, combat armor mk2 and brotherhood armor protos to use the new animations made by Ursa, Grayswandir and x'il. (thanks guys, these are great)

Installation:

I do not include the animation files in this pack, you will have to download them seperately from the New Animations 2 thread. You must download:

Hero Female Black Combat Armor
Hero Male/Female Blue Combat Armor
Hero Male Black Combat Armor (fixed version)
Hero Female Leather Armor Mk2
Hero Male Leather Armor Mk2
HF + HA Black_CA_items (included)
HF + HA Blue_CA_items (included)

Unzip all the files and place the .frms (not including the folder each .zip contains) into ..\fallout 2\data\art\critters

Then, open up critters.lst, located in the critters folder, with NOTEPAD and paste this into the bottom of the file:
Code:
hmlmk2,11,1
hflmk2,11,1
hmcmbl,11,1
hfcabl,11,1
hmcmbtb,11,1
hfcmbtb,11,1
Take care to NOT include any extra spaces or lines in the critter.lst file, i.e. when your cursor is at the end of the file, it should be next to "1" and not under it, or have a space to the left of it.

Now, you need to A) add the new inventory / ground item pictures into the game's art files or B) edit the 3 .pro items I've included to reference the original pictures (black CA is CA mk2, blue CA is brotherhood CA)

To add Black Combat Armor inventory and ground frames, extract "HF + HA BLack_CA_Items". Place the *ITM.frm in ..\fallout 2\data\art\items folder and add "BLACAITM.FRM" to ITEMS.lst. Place the *INV.frm in ..\fallout 2\data\art\inven folder and add "BLACAIVN.FRM" to Inven.lst. Do the same for "HF + HA Blue_CA_Items"

Copy the .PRO files I've included into ..\fallout 2\data\proto\items and make sure they are set to READ ONLY in the file properties. Check items.lst to ensure that
Code:
00000239.pro
00000379.pro
00000381.pro
are included in the list. That's it, enjoy!

Download the new new animations enabler here.

I am having a few problems related to this new patch.

I just acquired a laptop with Windows 7 home premium, and thought on installing Fallout 2 so I could play it and see how it worked.

First time I installed it, I had the new RP 2.1.2 installed and loaded the game, the first issue I had were those rainbow effects on the texture, which at first I didn't cared. Then I went into the options menu and tried to change the resolution to 1024x728, then the game simply blacked out and I terminated it to try and run again.

Now Its simply unplayable, when I load I get a white screen which won't go away even though the game still runs, and no matter if I change back de the resolution, I still get this white screen that won't allow me to play.

The reason I'm asking this here is, I did tried to uninstall and install the game back a few times, and the last time I installed it I run the vanilla game just to see where the problem was, turns out the vanilla game runs normally (although the rainbow effects), but when I installed the RP 2.1.2, the game went back to the white screen when I boot the game. And for some reason I can't run Fallout 2 on compatibility mode.

Has anyone else had this white screen problem before? I tried searching the forums but I just couldn't find any related topic other than the rainbow effects.

@lemonold & kansar02

It is easy to modify the speed at which you move on the world map. In ddraw.ini find
WorldMapDelay2=
and chance it less to make movement faster or greater to slow down.

But I agree that for some reason encounter rate is quite low in my game. I had outdoorsman skill at about 40% and I got only one encounter between Den and Vault City. I think there should be more so it would be more scary to go into the wild when your character is still weak.

@AWildmann

Reinstall the game to ensure we are working from a fresh base. Next, set graphics mode to 4 in ddraw.ini. This file is in your main Fallout 2 directory.

It didn't worked at first, but I managed through alt-tabs to change the resolution in the SFall tab to scale to 800x600, then I closed and opened the game and it worked!

Thanks a lot!

Skrag said:
Random encounters with "Brahmin fending off Mantis/Scorpions/etc." - the Brahmin never spawn and you only see the other critter type. It happens each time Brahmin are supposed to spawn with other critters (i've seen this twice so far).

Difficult to replicate with a saved game because of the rare nature of the encounter.

Yes, I have come up with an encounter "Brahmin fending off Mantis" but there were only 6 Manti on the map, 2 or 3 of them were with 30 HP total health, and the rest with 14 HP total health. No brahmin either. No savegame too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back