(Fallout 2) What do I do after the village is destroyed by the Enclave?

ADeadCorpse

First time out of the vault
I'm a little on the deep-end.

About the moment the Witch Doctor's shriveled mutilated corpse told me about the vengeful Enclave, I'm a little on the confused side. I did do the quest to get the Vertibird plans for the Brotherhood of Steel in San Franciso now what do I do? I know about the oil rig and the ship but how do I trigger that certain questline in order to finish the game?

Did you do all the preparations to make the ship ready for travel? Getting it fuel from the Shi and the Tanker FOB from Navarro?

The questline is triggered from the get-go. Once your village is captured, it IS your objective to find and rescue them. A "certain encounter" has this coded into the dialog, where when asked what you quest is, depending on whether your village has been captured or not, the Chosen One will answer differently. Prior to capture, he/she will say they're searching for the GECK, post-capture he/she will say they're trying to save their village.

Getting the various steps to prepare the tanker for departure can be found all over San Fran. Just talk to people. The Shi will keep to themselves, but several will do business with you and/or let you know crucial information. The Hubologists will hold out on you until you join them and become their labor boy/girl. The Vagrants will shun you as an outsider, but the shop owners won't turn you away, and several key characters will tell you what you need to do in order to get on their good side.

Short answer, just keep playing. If you know about the oil rig and the tanker, then just wander around the tanker, trying to talk to everyone, and eventually you'll be given a task with instructions on what to do next.

SPOILER
Get the Tanker FOB in Navarro
Get the Fuel for the Tanker in San Francisco, there are multiple ways to accomplish this.
Tip for playing RPGs, specially old ones, Talk to the NPCs.

Fallout 1 and 2 is harder than some games to find the NPC's since they have very few unique character models. That would be one minor gripe about the game. It just makes me wish Van Buren was finished to see how they would have improved the series.

It's funny because I am at this exact part in my current playthrough. I really hate how unfinished San Fran is. New Reno is still my favorite area in Fallout 2.

You don't need unique models to pick a distinct model per chosen surrounding models. Also, room layout has a tendency of easily showcasing who's the important guy to talk to.

Also also, character descriptions trump all. "You see a thin man" is easy to spot amidst a sea of, "You see a guard with thin eyes".

You don't need unique models to pick a distinct model per chosen surrounding models. Also, character descriptions trump all. "You see a thin man" is easy to spot amidst a see of, "You see a guard with thin eyes".

There are exceptions to that in one or two cases I believe. My thinking on this is related to the companions as well. With the Restoration Patch their models respond to the armors you put on. It makes a world of difference. Yes, character descriptions are vital, but there are always ways to improve a game. That would have been one. I can think of a few characters that would have benefited from their own models. Whynotboth.gif

Can someone move this thread?

Edit: Some of the unique junkies could have stood out more. Maybe different models for the mob bosses so they don't share it with the junkies. Little things like that are great. Vic was unique right? I can't remember if there is a similar model elsewhere in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vic and Big Jesus shared the same model. Others did as well, though the only ones to come to mind were cut from the vanilla game.

You don't need unique models to pick a distinct model per chosen surrounding models. Also, room layout has a tendency of easily showcasing who's the important guy to talk to.

Also also, character descriptions trump all. "You see a thin man" is easy to spot amidst a sea of, "You see a guard with thin eyes".

Agreed, but still, a description should at least somewhat fit a description.
A guy in a trenchcoat and a gasmask suddenly becomes a generic guy in leather armor. Eh, it's ok because it's 1997, but when you think about it... How much more effort could it be to add a few more frames?

Vic and Big Jesus shared the same model. Others did as well, though the only ones to come to mind were cut from the vanilla game.

That's right. Forgot about him.

A guy in a trenchcoat and a gasmask suddenly becomes a generic guy in leather armor. Eh, it's ok because it's 1997, but when you think about it... How much more effort could it be to add a few more frames?

Wasteland 2 has this problem too. I see room for improvement in everything. It's just a minor fault as far as Fallout is concerned.

Vic was unique right? I can't remember if there is a similar model elsewhere in the game.

Nope, he had the "Balding fatman in vest and teal shirt model, Big Jesus Mordino had the same model and I think a few others too.

Say what you will but unique character models would've helped a lot. I guess it's part of the abstraction and it's kind of a staple of sprite based RPGs, and yes most of the time the level designs DOES single out special NPCs but still, would've been cool to at least give the companions unique models, Sulik always having a full head of hair in the overworld while his talking head had either a mohawk or bald with a tatoo in the middle is a bit disappointing.

Then again, it would've involved a lot of work to render each model with every possible weapon type from different angles, and with the limited time and budget they had would've resulted either in an overly expensive luxury or with companions that can only use 2 weapons at most.

That's right. Forgot about him.

Wasteland 2 has this problem too. I see room for improvement in everything. It's just a minor fault as far as Fallout is concerned.

Yeah, it really bothered me in Wasteland 2 as well. In Fallout 1 it's aceptable because it's all sprites, but in Wasteland it's just the models. But the budget-constraints were probably really hard, even with them breaking most of the stretch goals.

When a black guy looks like a white guy it gets a little silly, but I agree budget was probably a lot of it.

And by the way, I meant that "a depiction should at least somewhat fit a description."

Say what you like, but it IS both quite taxing to create more animated models as well as totally unnecessary. Would be more helpful, sure. I'm not arguing that it wouldn't. Only that there was no shortage of ways to KNOW where you were going and who you were speaking to, based on much more than just character models. Even in these days of much more limited features and far smaller production schedules, things made sense because the overall game design catered to the player's needs. (This in direct contrast to today's designs which excessively pander to the player well beyond simply catering to their needs.)

For example, a group of people in an open room:

|o o o o o
| o
|o o o o o
|

In the above formation, your eye is naturally drawn to the character in the middle. It didn't take unique symbols to accomplish this.

Now add the idea of objects, like furniture:

[ ]o o o o
[ ] o o o o
[ _____] o o
[ ] o o o o o
[ ]o o o o o o
[ .___. ] o o
[_] o [_]o o o

You're naturally drawn to the character centered between the objects, again without need for unique symbols. It could be a the bottom of the mass, in the middle, at the top, the sides, or anywhere. But the scenery itself directs you to where you need to go. When you add a social context to it, it has an even more powerful draw on the player. "Guy behind a desk? Must speak to him!" All of these are done very simply with visual design, not big signs directing you to where you need to go.

(I'd make much more dynamic shapes, except the forum formatting won't let me, so let's just make do with very simplistic, right-angle formations.)

Let's not forget, these designs are all IN ADDITION to character models (using a little bit of variation, not outright unique models) and descriptions. If you're used to newer games which have more money to throw around where all the goons you take out look the same so you know they're unimportant but you immediately recognize the important characters because they're the ONLY ones in the entire game that have their unique model, that just means you're conditioned to the current expectation. It doesn't make it necessary.

I continue to marvel at how much I need to "relearn" when playing older games (or games built on older principles) because of how modern games just throw conditioning at me all the time. Sometimes I notice it, like my complaint that all the NCR troopers in FONV or all the raiders in FO3 or all the hunters in TLU or etc etc all look and act and sound exactly the same. But much of the time it goes by quite unnoticed. Then, pull out an old classic, and there's huge traction because I've grown accustomed to being pandered to. I've forgotten all the skills that came so easily to me when I was younger. Because it really was EASY. We've just forgotten that.

And by the way, I meant that "a depiction should at least somewhat fit a description."
Now it makes sense. I'd still say that's a convenience, nothing more. If the description matches the look, great. If they all look the same but the descriptions are all I have to go by to set one apart from another, that's fine, too. Books got by on imagination, and games did too, once. They don't have to skirt by on nothing but player imagination, but they CAN.

Then again, it would've involved a lot of work to render each model with every possible weapon type from different angles, and with the limited time and budget they had would've resulted either in an overly expensive luxury or with companions that can only use 2 weapons at most.
I'd be shocked and stunned if they did not write a batch script that renders out all the art files for a given model.

*Yet we know they did not include all the art [needed] for all the character models. :seriouslyno:

You only have to animate it once, and then render it from six angles.

Last edited:
I guess the lack of unique models in Fallout 2 is mostly a result of rushed development, like most issues with the game. Just look at how terrible some of the new ("new" meaning "not ported from Fallout 1") models and animations are. Like the NPC policemen, the Reno bouncers etc.

I thought the lack of unique models had something to do with some horrible cloning accident in the past.

Back