Fallout 3: Van Buren (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by hexer, Dec 7, 2013.

1. hexer

hexer It Wandered In From the Wastes
    Modder

Dec 7, 2013
    No cash from this project, only immense satisfaction knowing that Van Buren will see the light of day :D

2. Orzie

Orzie Fallout Global Mods Freak

Jun 20, 2013
    Alright dude, tracking VB here as well. You've got a serious load of new followers on Facebook and ModDB recently. I wonder what was a catalyst. :)

3. hexer

Modder

Dec 7, 2013
    We didn't have a large influx on ModDB, those 100+ followers came slowly over a 5 month period.

For Facebook it was simple - RPGCodex tweeted about us and I paid around $90 for Facebook ads. The majority of FB likes were because of paid ads so there was no magic behind it. That's unfortunately how Facebook runs these days, if you don't pay Zuckerberg will let no one know about you.

Cash, cash never changes

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    There is also the word of mouth, now that you asked for more fb fans.

5. Orzie

Orzie Fallout Global Mods Freak

Jun 20, 2013
    Well, if only cash made more activity... There are still so little amount of likes and such. I hope it at least helps to find the team contributors.

Actually Youtube helps a lot. Every project of that scale should have it for nicer promotion.

6. hexer

Modder

Dec 7, 2013
    Cash doesn't buy you fake likes, it only makes fans you target see the game on their wall so they can choose to like it or not. But listen to this... Even after you like the page, you might miss the updates unless I pay FB for all fans to see it. If I don't pay, only 1-2% of my fans will see updates. That network is turning into a crap 200mph.

As for Youtube, I have a pretty decent channel with 1600+ subscribers we're going to use for promotion. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/user/FalloutFansEditor

7. SMBComix

SMBComix It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 22, 2014
    Hi guys! I am pretty new here, new to the Fallout universe too, and Van Buren really intrigues me.

I was sort of wondering whether or not a dedicated modding team might be able to either finish Van Buren, or use its assets/art style/engine to remake the first three Fallout games.

8. hexer

Modder

Dec 7, 2013
    Van Buren's tech demo engine is pretty much unusable for modding since we don't have the source code and editors for it.
    Everything that could be used from it is already transferred into FOnline engine.

9. SMBComix

SMBComix It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 22, 2014
    That's what I thought.

Such a shame that this got cancelled... but then again I likely would never have paid attention to it if Bethesda hadn't bought the license and made the games that introduced me to the franchise. :look:

10. tester123

tester123 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 16, 2011
  11. hexer

Modder

Dec 7, 2013
  12. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Also - off topic, but who cares, no? - people should check out this. It gets wait too little attention (none, as far as I can see), which is ridiculous. It makes playing FOnline games extremely easy, because you have to do like nothing at all now. Click a button, download, click another button, play.

13. hexer

Modder

Dec 7, 2013
  14. tester123

tester123 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 16, 2011
    I want to ask why there are too little people play fonline games? They don't know about it or afraid of loosing their equipment? :D I can't understand it.

15. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    It is far more harder and the community often sucks.
    Also, multiplayer are generally harder anyway, since casual always get owned by PGM.
    Then, these are often real-time, which could make uncomfortable those who prefer or are more used to turn-based.
    At last, there is a wipe every 6-12 months that will delete your character and all your stuff.

Otherwise, there are many things to do, too much things to do.
    Personnally, i stopped Fonline because i spent too much time on it, nearly missing my university exams.
    So it is better for me to avoid it entirelly if i want a life.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  16. hexer

Modder

Dec 7, 2013
    Richard Tongol, a Fallout fan and a 3D modeler, donated his 3D model of the original vertibird to us. Now we need to animate it so the Prisoner can enjoy a ride ;)

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  17. phillon

phillon First time out of the vault

Jul 23, 2013
    Very nice (in response to the vertibird model). I am happy you are not using the 3D Van Buuren engine from the demo btw...it sucked to me. 2D all the way tyvm. An engine that is amazing is the Fallout Tactics engine (2D with support for 3D lighting, basic shading, etc.), but using the retail shipped engine is out of the question (no source, etc.). There is however an open source project to convert and use a similar engine: http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?199644-FreeFT-open-source-Fallout-Tactics-engine; you might want to check it out. Tracking your project here and on ModDB (phillon); as the project progresses I will happily donate to motivate and support you guys from time to time. I will also try and spread the word. The project holds so much promise. Keep at it mate and thank you for all the effort from you and the team thus far.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  18. hexer

Modder

Dec 7, 2013
    Thank you for the motivating words :)
    I look forward to seeing what will the author do with FreeFT engine.
    But we are using FOnline engine which supports 3D models, ambient lightning and shaders. Soon there will be support for particles ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_system )

19. IYouI

IYouI First time out of the vault

Dec 15, 2013
    You are doing great job, maybe we will see soon Van Buren :>

20. phillon

phillon First time out of the vault

Jul 23, 2013
    Cool stuff Hexer. This far into development it will in any case be too much work to switch engines. The FO-Online engine is very nice as well I must admit; no problems with it. Really looking forward to this. BTW, if you ever need voice acting, let me know; I will be more than happy to help on that front.