Fallout 4 does not make sense

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
I think this video will be relevant to any arguements regarding future installments.

+1 Hell yeah! Fo2, and New Vegas all the way brother! Let's hope obsidian, the ex blackisle employee's do it again with Fo4. I hope they completely do a re-hall of the entire game and bring back karma, a more in-depth dialogue system, skills and the perk system. IMO The new Perk system in Fo4 is total simplistic, toilet, butt wipe garbage. That's my major pet peeve with Fo4, it's boring as hell along with the terrible AI. But that's just me of course :ok:

Last edited by a moderator:
When you look at games like Planescape Torment and Arcanum, and look at how kickstarters have really helped developers, I think it's safe to say that the Fallout series would be in a better position today if it hadn't been put up for sale.

I don't think a Fallout license in the hands of Interplay's current incarnation would be in any better shape.

I think he was referring to the fantasy football games being like an RPG. The player is "playing" an entire team rather than an individual character; basically RPG's for jocks.

Other than that, I think you're right about his view being kinda off of what I would consider an RPG to be.

When you look at games like Planescape Torment and Arcanum, and look at how kickstarters have really helped developers, I think it's safe to say that the Fallout series would be in a better position today if it hadn't been put up for sale.

I don't think a Fallout license in the hands of Interplay's current incarnation would be in any better shape.

Interplay has been incapable of raising funds to make video games(beyond ports, a single wii ware title and publishing indie games) since 2004. There would be no Fallout titles beyond easily forgettable ones on Wiiware or XBLA with Interplay.

Last edited:
I think he was referring to the fantasy football games being like an RPG. The player is "playing" an entire team rather than an individual character; basically RPG's for jocks.

Other than that, I think you're right about his view being kinda off of what I would consider an RPG to be.
So if someone showed him a real time strategy game where you can control hundreds if not thousands of characters do you think he'd have an aneurysm?

A franchise that would have included Brotherhood of Steel 2 in it would be a preferable one to one that includes New Vegas in it? I find that notion disagreeable.

Heh, fair enough. I was meaning more that no games be made. But sure, if we have to have more games, then obviously I'll take New Vegas any day over POS 2.

So if someone showed him a real time strategy game where you can control hundreds if not thousands of characters do you think he'd have an aneurysm?

Maybe. Those games do typically require "collecting stuff" as part of the gameplay. That's enough to give it RPG elements in his book.

Just saw this and it made me smile.

32zjk1g.png

[...]

Gotta admit i would've sorted it similarly, though I would've lined up 4 together with FO:Tactics, as it's pretty much that - brainless shooting without any interesting story. Played Fo:T only once cause it felt so much worse than 1 and 2 by comparison. Well but I think I remember FO:T having at least SOME multiple choice in it, so that leaves 4....eh...Never played FO:BoS, gotta be a console-Spinoff then
And don't get me started on Preggo Shelter, seriously...
BTW, is the seemingly useless VaultTec-Lunchbox Item in F4 by any means connected to Preggo Shelter?

Well you can't really compare FO1 and FO2 with FOT on a gameplay mechanics. You can do it on the story, and lore but that's about it. I feel like FOT received a lot of unfair treatment because lots of people didn't realize that Fallout Tactics is a squad base tactics and not an RPG, and thus more comparable with Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance.

The limited choice in FOT didn't particularly bothered me, you are after all a recruit of the BoS, and consequently you have to follow the rule and order as the soldier you are supposed to be.

I love Tactics but it started the trend of Brotherhood focused titles that are different than the originals. It is better than Fallout 3 in a lot of ways.

LMAO!!! :drunk:

Interplay has been incapable of raising funds to make video games(beyond ports, a single wii ware title and publishing indie games) since 2004. There would be no Fallout titles beyond easily forgettable ones on Wiiware or XBLA with Interplay.

Well, if Interplay had still owned their franchise, they may have been able to successfully kickstart a large enough project to crap out a god-awful abortion of a sequel. My gut tells me their crowdfounding campaign in that timeline would have been much more successful than their MMOG-campaign was.

I certainly agree that Interplay could not have developed a sequel that was even as remotely as good as Fallout 3.

Without selling Fallout Interplay would have been dead dead. Every cent Bethesda has paid Interplay has gone to paying off crippling debt. There is no possible future where Interplay keeps Fallout and survives.

I absolutely agree with you, but considering the hypothesis, albeit extremly small, of endless universes, we should not rule it out completely.

This makes a lot of sense with the way the lore is divided. FO3 is East Coast, and draws on the Brotherhood splinter group they established in Tactics. And because of who the developers were, NV draws on plotlines developed for the legitimate sequel that never happened.

And the crafting/colony building aspect of 4 seems like probably the most heinous of the crimes in the series (haven't played BoS, though). I'm not sure why, other than me being sick to death of those games already. Hmm, actually, it's probabaly just because it's so far outside what Fallout stands for to me, the lone adventurer wandering the wastes. The vault dweller used to be Mel Gibson, now he's Tina Turner, mayor of Bartertown, collecting scrap and keeping his helpless townspeople happy because Minecraft.

Thematically, FoT does fit with F3 and FoBoS, but quality wise, not so much. FoT is so much better than either of those two.
I remember all those years ago, when I first played FoT on my own PC and read on the internet that it's such a terrible game, so much worse than the originals and the franchise is going to shit. Well, in retrospect everyone who said so at the time should swallow those words and sing sweet praise to FoT because now we know it was not nearly as bad as what was to come. :)
I would take FoT over F4 any day of the week.

Back