Fallout Archaeology: Robert Nesler's concept art (Van Buren)

Tagaziel

Panzerkatze
Orderite
It seems that even after several years, something new can be found Robert Nesler, former art director of Interplay Productions, has made available three pieces of concept art directly linked to Fallout 3 (Van Buren).

<center> </center>

Spotted by veryblackraven, who also obtained the following explanation about the concept art from Robert Nesler himself:<blockquote>I developed these concepts with Chris Avellone sometime in 2001 or 2002--very early in F3 development. So the ideas may not fit the later design and story. But if I remember correctly:
The Fallout Female was simply a concept for a generic female vault dweller with some science/tech skills that you may have encountered or played. I made her more shapely because I felt that the female body of the previous Fallout games was unattractive.

The Hoover Dam concept existed before Chris had written much about it, so I was allowed to come up with a town that had been built on top of and down the face of the dam. I don't believe this idea found it's way into the final documents. I think my scale was a little off, as well.

The Shuttle was idea that Chris had that was intended to support the notion of an orbital space station that survived and had recent inhabitants (I suspect this became the "Ballistic Orbital Missile Base") I used design cues from a B29 blended with a more current space shuttle, as well as some excessive rocket engine placements to develop the notion of a 50's era space shuttle. This is a very rough and unfinished concept.</blockquote>We thank you, dark man-bird man.

Looks like a first draft of the Hoover Dam city. It feels a little bit too alien to me, especially compared to the map layout from the released design document.

I hadn't even realized this art was from Van Buren when I first saw it. I don't like the Vault Girl one, but the Hoover Dam and Shuttle pieces are good. And yeah, the first one definitely gives a Megaton vibe, and also reminds me of the recent Krater.

Isn't it also dangerous to build a city around a unexploded atom bomb?

AFAIK i remember, in developer documents of Van Buren was an option to blow it up with a dynamite, while the guards will go and try to defuse it with own lives.

Isn't it dangerous to build a city in a floodplain that's below sea level...?

I think I can forgive a city on a dam (or even around an active nuke) in a game world.

Alvarez said:
Isn't it also dangerous to build a city around a unexploded atom bomb?

AFAIK i remember, in developer documents of Van Buren was an option to blow it up with a dynamite, while the guards will go and try to defuse it with own lives.

You could place explosives, but it would kill you too and the game ends.

album_thumbnail.php

Hello new desktop background.

:ok:

I like that Hoover Dam town concept, Maybe it's because I love the idea of a settlement that expands vertically.

Fuck, I LOVE that spaceship. The perspective on the dam is a little wonky, but feels a lot like Megaton like others have said.

I like how the Vault jumpsuit on the girl is a reasonable compromise between the spandex tight suits of the older Fallouts and the baggy versions from the newer ones.

Back