Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

g3n3ral1466 said:
How do I properly install the 4.1 patch?
Just extract on top of your FIXT folder and "Yes" when it asks to overwrite files.

If it went through properly you should be able to see 4.1 on the main menu (bottom right)

Sduibek said:
Garl's father is normal if you're Male with high Luck.
What I'm saying is, I never turned on my StealthBoy, and the raiders still thought I was Garl's father.

1) I turned my StealthBoy ON. The raiders thought I was Garl, Sr.
2) I reloaded a save from before #1, and left the StealthBoy OFF.
3) The raiders still thought I was Sr. Garl's ghost, even though I was solid.

But I'll check it again next time I play.

Sduibek said:
Would it be possible to add more exclamations to the NPCs? By exclamations I mean when they say something out loud without going into dialogue. For example, as you walk around the Hub, Ian comments on all the places you visit: "This is the Far Go Traders, run by Butch Harris..."
Absolutely possible. I like this idea! Not hard to code, the hard part would be making sure it stays in character, if you're specifically talking about Katja/Ian/Tycho
Great. Right now Ian does almost all the talking. Katja says she hates dogs whenever Dogmeat barks, and there's a bit of dialogue near Bob's Iguana Bits in the Hub, but that's about it. Next question is, what do the NPCs talk about?

Katja should probably have some dialogue in the Boneyard, for one thing.

What we are telling you is that the stealthboy doesn't affect. Period. It's not about using a stealthboy or not, it's about being male and having enough luck. Just that.

I'm kind of new to getting mods to work in Fallout and I tried installing your mod. I noticed that every message relating to attacking came out as "." and getting hit by a rat caused the game to crash. I'm using the Gog 1.3.4 version of Fallout.

antiradaway said:
I'm kind of new to getting mods to work in Fallout and I tried installing your mod. I noticed that every message relating to attacking came out as "." and getting hit by a rat caused the game to crash. I'm using the Gog 1.3.4 version of Fallout.
Make sure the exe is "patched" (for the f1_res) using the corresponding patching exe.

It would help if I could see your files as well -- falloutw.exe, and all .dll and .cfg and .ini files in your FIXT folder

EDIT: Also make sure you installed w/ v4, then extracted v4.1 on top of that.

Oppen said:
What we are telling you is that the stealthboy doesn't affect. Period. It's not about using a stealthboy or not, it's about being male and having enough luck. Just that.
Ahh...I see! Not sure where I got the idea about the StealthBoy, then.

UniversalWolf said:
Oppen said:
It's pretty expectable to think that it was because of the stealth boy, being almost invisible with that on you should look like a ghost and it's easy to relate it to the fact people think you are a ghost :p

Oppen said:
UniversalWolf said:
Oppen said:
It's pretty expectable to think that it was because of the stealth boy, being almost invisible with that on you should look like a ghost and it's easy to relate it to the fact people think you are a ghost :p
I blame hearsay. I think I saw someone post a long, long time ago about the StealthBoy causing the ghost reaction and I absorbed it into my consciousness.

I want so badly to be working on this instead of homework. Real life is lame.

Garkonar said:
Sduibek said:
Yes I have. I tried playing around with different versions and using 256 colours and such but I keep getting the same message. I have the original Fallout folder backuped and that still works.
I also tested to reinstall both fallout and Fallout fixit and still got the same message

Try to turn off DX9 mode in ddraw.ini, switch to 0 and turn to 16 or 32 bit for color. Should start after that.

Drobovik said:
Garkonar said:
Sduibek said:
Yes I have. I tried playing around with different versions and using 256 colours and such but I keep getting the same message. I have the original Fallout folder backuped and that still works.
I also tested to reinstall both fallout and Fallout fixit and still got the same message

Try to turn off DX9 mode in ddraw.ini, switch to 0 and turn to 16 or 32 bit for color. Should start after that.
I think I have it disabled (Mode=0) by default, but yes I agree with this -- since Compat didn't help, you wanna play around with f1_res.ini and ddraw.ini

For me, I get the best performance with DX mode off and running at 16bit color (in f1_res, I leave it at 8bit in ddraw file)

A test to see if one of those is causing the issue is to one at a time move, delete or rename f1_res.ini and ddraw.ini

Just to be sure you have latest DirectX: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8109 and http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

Also appears some people have had luck simply renaming the exe. Could just change it to Fallout.exe for example

Yet another person said with these exact selections and nothing else selected on the Compatibility Options, it runs properly:
- "Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)"
- Disable virtual themes
- Disable desktop composition.

Sduibek said:
Yet another person said with these exact selections and nothing else selected on the Compatibility Options, it runs properly:
- "Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)"
- Disable virtual themes
- Disable desktop composition.

This actually solved my problem I needed only to use that compatibility on the "FALLOUTW" not the "64 bit OS" file. I do got another error message upon lunch but the game worked fine. This went away after I started up the game about 15-20 times, it said something about not being able to load a .dll file.
Thanks for the help - gonna enjoy a thorough play through this weekend :D

Update: The game now crashes when I open game preferences...
Edited again: I got it to work properly now by reinstalling FF - I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Back