Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Nevada (extended)

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Dionis, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Richardson

Richardson First time out of the vault

Nov 19, 2010
    Do you have an idea for my issue please ? I reinstalled the latest version (2.0.3.3) - in English - over a steam installation of Fallout 2 (but in a dedicated slot), and if I launch classic F2 it works normally, but if I launch Fallout Nevada from its directory, in HD (or not), I get the cinematics in English, and then the screen goes black, with music nevertheless, but the menu doesn't appear.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  2. _Pyran_

_Pyran_ Mildly Dipped

Jan 31, 2017
    Check the installation path where the mod is installed. ..steam\Fallout 2\Nevada or ..steam\Fallout 2? If the second option is used, then delete falout2.cfg. If this doesn't work, then write and we'll figure it out.

3. Richardson

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks. I've copied the Fallout 2 directory on an other disk, so the installation path is something like :
    G:\Game\Fallout 2\Fallout Nevada

And last time I've installed the game (but with a previous version of the mod, or maybe with Crazy Nevada, I don't remember) I've done exactly the same thing and it worked fine. I've tried to watch the full intro, in case the issue was linked to skipping it, but same things, after the intro, the ambiant music keep playing and the screen with the menu isn't loading.

4. _Pyran_

_Pyran_ Mildly Dipped

Jan 31, 2017
    1. Need a clean version of Fallout 2 (no Crazy, Fixed, etc.)
    2. Use the installation method from the header (first post).
    Usually, a black screen indicates an incorrect installation (wrong path).
    3. Read the FAQ file (in the folder with the mod), the keyword "music".
    Q: I have a black screen on Win 7/8/10/11 / does not turn around / slows down a lot or frequent crashes.
    A: In f2_res_Config.exe (located in the folder with the game) try another graphics mode Basic/Direct Draw 7/DirectX 9 or color bitness 8/16/32.
    Q: If you have a mode and terrible brakes: FullHD and DirectX9
    A: Try disabling VSync (Vertical Synchronization) in the system settings.
    Q: When starting the game\mod, only the black screen and music is playing. What should I do?
    A: It is very likely that the installation path to the game is incorrect, i.e. the mod is installed in the wrong place. Hence the black screen \crash\error message or no part of the characters. If you are sure that this is not your case, then:
    About: Run f2_res_Config.exe and change the screen resolution. For example, 800*600.
    A: Replace the sfall version (ddraw.dll ), to an earlier or newer one (for experienced ones).
    A: Replace sfall with an alternative one (if this is acceptable).
    A: Try the above option.
    4. Open the dont_use folder and take files from the sfall_e folder.

5. Richardson

Nov 19, 2010

Thank you for your help, just found the issue. I'm so stupide.
    Installation method:
    I - SubFolder
    1. Install Fallout 2, example C:\Games\Fallout 2
    2. Install Nevada to C:\Games\Fallout 2\Nevada
    3. Start Nevada from desktop icon.
    or
    II - main folder:
    1. Install Fallout 2, example C:\Games\Fallout 2
    2. Install Nevada to C:\Games\Fallout 2
    3. Chech "Root directory mode"
    4. Start Nevada from desktop icon.

I've done the first method, but I've checked the "root directory mode"
    Sorry to have wasted your time and thanks again for the help.

6. Richardson

Nov 19, 2010
    And now I've a new question, I've installed F12se (included with Nevada) (with the right config "config.ctg" and "NevadaHD.exe") and I was trying to use it. I can open the savegame, but if I change anything, when trying to save the change I get the following message :
    upload_2024-2-11_14-0-25.png

Any idea about the cause of this issue please ?

7. _Pyran_

_Pyran_ Mildly Dipped

Jan 31, 2017
    1. There is a screenshot with the settings in the folder with F12se.
    2. F12se - does not guarantee operability, after changes. This is written in the ReadMe for F12se. They need to be used carefully. There are situations when, after editing a save, the game turned on and worked, but when it reached a certain event, something went wrong and the game broke down.
    I highly recommend not creating "super-ten-man" by changing special or adding items unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  8. Richardson

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks and I've configured exactly F12se like in the screen, wasn't trying to create "super-ten-man" (as an old player of Fallout, I played the first one at the very beginning of 1999 when it was released with a boxed set that also included Baldur's Gate, and I still have the reflex (if I want to play a super ten man) to do it via a hexadecimal editor like in the old days) But I realized after I'd started that I'd created a "light weapon" build, whereas for this run I'd rather play an "energy weapon", so I wanted to reverse the skills.

Anyway thanks for your answer.
    It's strange however, I've never had this issue with F12se when playing Crazy Nevada with my last run.

9. _Pyran_

_Pyran_ Mildly Dipped

Jan 31, 2017
    There may be various nuances, I find it difficult to answer.
    But changing a skill shouldn't be a problem with crash.

10. Richardson

Nov 19, 2010
    No crash maybe, but I'm not even able to try it, as F12se doesn't late me save the change on the savegame, each time I've the same message about "the size of the data is not equal to the size in memory" But I've started a new game with the right skill, I've only played 3 hours before I realized my mistake, so it's frustrating but not too bad.