Fallout: New Vegas companions revealed

Black said:
Is it only me who's pissed about magical properties of your companions? They don't make sense. Such perks may work in games like Mask of the Betrayed because MAGIC but no way in the hell it fits with SCIENCE!
Or maybe it's nothing to complain about and I'm just full of (righteous) hate?

Some of them like the repair guy doing minor repair work all the time can be easily taken as abstractions. I have a slight problem with the Four Roses Bourbon Armour of Armourness though, if only because someone has to while alec's away.

Faceless_Stranger said:
Tagaziel said:
Though she now lives a peaceful life tending to Bighorners in the community of Jacobstown, Lily was once a Nightkin in The Master’s army. Before that, she was an elderly grandmother enjoying a simple life in Vault 17. Heavily medicated, Lily struggles with her dangerous schizophrenia and distant memories of her old life.

Best character ever.
If done right.

After KOTOR2 and Alpha Protocol, I think we can trust Obsidian to make good, believeable characters.

Is it only me who's pissed about magical properties of your companions? They don't make sense. Such perks may work in games like Mask of the Betrayed because MAGIC but no way in the hell it fits with SCIENCE!

Would you prefer cardboard cut outs for companions like in Fallout 3? More features is good, especially if they factor into the gameplay.

As for making sense, consider this: Lilly is an expert with Stealth Boys, so she might finetune them for you; Gannon is a medic; the eyebot connects to your PIP-Boy's display etc. The explanations are endless, all very plausible, but in the end it all boils down to this: Obsidian is making more companions, with interesting stories and make them useful in more ways than just as bullet sponges. And that's good.

Tagaziel said:
Would you prefer cardboard cut outs for companions like in Fallout 3? More features is good, especially if they factor into the gameplay.
I'd prefer something like characters from Fallout 2. Myron was a chem guy so he could make some stims and such. Vic could repair some junk. See, furry? No magic and no cardboard characters. Even Cassidy "managed" to achieve that despite having no special skills.

Reconite said:
15ri3vs.jpg

What the? :?

Didn't stop him before.

The Fallout 3 dogmeat was a different dogmeat with the same name.

I am happy that there will be no new dogmeat in New Vegas.

Black said:
Even Cassidy "managed" to achieve that despite having no special skills.

Actually his special skill was having a bad ticker... well not all special skills have to be good. :V

Also hurray for the NCR and BOS trading something more than words.

Wonder if Rex will get distracted by squirrels.

Ian had the best special skill. I made the game much more tactical.
"Fuckfuckfuckfuck don't stand in front of Ian fuckfuckfuck".

Lexx said:

Yeah, I'm about done with it. Crowbarring in characters just because they're popular is stupid. See Silent Hill and Pyramid Head. If it doesn't fit, leave it out. Dogmeat should never have come back. Dog companions? Great. Dogmeat specifically? No.

But that's one nonsensical answer by Grandstaff.

Dogmeat will be in Fallout 4 by Bethesda and make no sense at all. They'll just say it's an ancestor of the one from F3 and that'll be that.

There was even a "Puppies!" perk which would spawn new dogmeats when you previous one died.
Ofcourse, the new ones are still called "dogmeat".

Thats what I call logic. :)

Lexx said:
Reconite said:
15ri3vs.jpg

What the? :?

Didn't stop him before.
What I'm getting at is that they think Dogmeat's first appearance was Fallout 3. And suggesting that the Dogmeat from Fallout 1 or 2 couldn't be in New Vegas.

Or something like that. I'm fine if we don't see him at all, as many others are.

Brother None said:
Lexx said:

Yeah, I'm about done with it. Crowbarring in characters just because they're popular is stupid. See Silent Hill and Pyramid Head. If it doesn't fit, leave it out. Dogmeat should never have come back. Dog companions? Great. Dogmeat specifically? No.

But that's one nonsensical answer by Grandstaff.
I don't see the issue with making a reference to a character from the little known (to most of the new audience) previous games of the series in their first go at it. It is only natural that they would add in stuff that gives a degree of familiarity. I don't get why old gamers are complaining about it. I personally would be more pissed if they just slapped the name on the series and brought back nothing from the previous games.

NiRv4n4 said:
I don't see the issue with making a reference to a character from the little known (to most of the new audience) previous games of the series in their first go at it.

Wha-? The fact that Dogmeat is in Fallout 2 already makes no sense, but y'know, easter egg bananas. Dogmeat died to a forcefield :(

Fucking forcefields.

NiRv4n4 said:
It is only natural that they would add in stuff that gives a degree of familiarity.

They never stopped adding in stuff!

Black said:

There are two counter-arguments that spring to mind:

1. RPGs are all about abstraction. Stuff like Raul's ability to slow weapon decay in theory represents a process that would be overly clunky and downright annoying in-game, akin to Raul constantly nagging you to take better care of your equipment.

2. Think of it in terms of the meta-game. The abilities reinforce theme by making each companion mechanically distinct beyond their dialogues and numbers under the hood that, for the player, don't make much practical difference.

NiRv4n4 said:
I personally would be more pissed if they just slapped the name on the series and brought back nothing from the previous games.

:D So instead they now made everything new and slapped Fallout names on it. Seriously, everything looks different. Weapons, armors, generic scenery... not even computer terminals do look like in the original games and no, that's not because the original scenery was only 4 pixel height. (Which is proven bei Van Buren and it's models, which nearly have been all like carbon copies of the original 2d graphics.)

I just had to watch a few videos of New Vegas online. Then I just needed to start lurking a little bit around the news forum. Then I just wanted to know how many different races of companions there were. DAMN YOU FALLOUT
I have some complaints here and there(Cass's perk and goofy weapons for example) so far. Small things like that are completely overshadowed for me by how excellent I assume the branching dialogue/quests are going to be.

As for the super mutant granny, I was just wondering yesterday why a dude is listed at IMDb as voicing a character named "Lily".

Back