Fallout: New Vegas companions revealed

Is it funny that the only non-Caucasian humanoids ended up being a Ghoul, and a (blue) Super Mutant? Am I allowed to pick at that? Or are we satisfied with these companions?

Ausir said:
As for the super mutant granny, I was just wondering yesterday why a dude is listed at IMDb as voicing a character named "Lily".
Just checked IMDb. So that voice actor was in S.W.A.T. 4? Huh. I bet he was that guy that gave you the mission briefings.

frosty_theaussie said:
Is it funny that the only non-Caucasian humanoids ended up being a Ghoul, and a (blue) Super Mutant? Am I allowed to pick at that? Or are we satisfied with these companions?

They could end up being the most colorful characters in the end.

KING SHIT said:
frosty_theaussie said:

Hmmm... Racial inuendo?

KING SHIT said:
frosty_theaussie said:

Well, it's not like it won't be immediately remedied with the <strike>TESCS</strike> G.E.C.K. I look forward to hearing Matthew Perry voice an eighteen year old Asian schoolgir-- no wait, I'm not into those maid clothing mods. I swear!

OakTable said:
Ausir said:
As for the super mutant granny, I was just wondering yesterday why a dude is listed at IMDb as voicing a character named "Lily".
Just checked IMDb. So that voice actor was in S.W.A.T. 4? Huh. I bet he was that guy that gave you the mission briefings.

I look forward to Lily saying "Excuse me sir, you're in my spot" over and over again.

I like how flawed these characters are, and their schizophrenic/mental instabilities sound quite promising.

So Rex doesn't like hats or people who wear them, what a bizarre little character quirk! Curious to see what happens when you wear one after recruiting him...I'm guessing that when you do these characters' "backstory missions" that with Rex you'll end up finding out who his evil, hat-wearing, enemy is.

Cass + Rex :D

willooi said:
I like how flawed these characters are, and their schizophrenic/mental instabilities sound quite promising.

So Rex doesn't like hats or people who wear them, what a bizarre little character quirk!

Yes they all seem to have their own quirks. Boone will turn hostile if you shoot NCR soldiers I guess.

I'm guessing also that Raul in his Vaquero outfit won't be compatible with Rex? And possibly other combinations

Is the new Raul supposed to be a ghoulified Raul the Mechanic from Navarro? I hope so, I always loved Raul kicking Quincy's ass. 8-)

@ Pialojo

That would be cool, but Raul the ghoul might be too old at age 230 years. Raul the Navarro Mechanic was alive around the year 2241 and let's say he was about 30, and New Vegas is set in 2280 so it looks unlikely.

Speaking of ages, I wonder how old Cassidy would've been when he had Rose of Sharon?

She is 37 at the start of NV, so born in 2243, around the time the Chosen One destroyed the oil rig. Cassidy must've settled down immediately after that. Also, as an aside, it sounds like she's suffering from the Jinxed trait =)

I also hope there's some mention of the Chosen One's 'children' after he donated sperm in Vault City?

Edit: Or even the Bishop kid wandering the wastes?!

Makagulfazel said:
frosty_theaussie said:
Is it funny that the only non-Caucasian humanoids ended up being a Ghoul, and a (blue) Super Mutant?
Hah! I didn't notice.
I noticed, but that's only because my mind has been rearranged and trained after having taken a gender studies course and literary studies courses. This bit of news alone would make any gender, feminist, postmodernism critic sit right down and write a 500 page essay on the way gender and race are represented in this game, in the gaming industry, and in society in general. They'd have quite the field day.

Anywaaay... the companions certainly add some interesting characters to the game. Characters that actually have character. How delightful.

willooi said:
I also hope there's some mention of the Chosen One's 'children' after he donated sperm in Vault City?

Or even the Bishop kid wandering the wastes?!

Chosen One could have 25 kids running around out there for all we know. My Chosen One never wore a condom and visited hookers quite a bit...

@ KING SHIT

LOL.

And just to add to some more timeline guess-work, from one of the endings of F2 regarding the Bishop child:

"Not long after the destruction of the Enclave, the Bishop Family of New Reno was blessed with a child. This child seemed to have little in common with the Bishops, preferring instead to spend his days exploring the wastes. When he turned thirteen, he seized control of the Bishop Family and led them to victory over the remaining New Reno families..."

So say he's born in 2244, by the time NV starts he'd be 36... If Obsidian considered that ending to be canon, could this Bishop/Chosen One kid be in the story? Benny??

Anyway I'll stop now. I just love plot continuity.

She is 37 at the start of NV, so born in 2243, around the time the Chosen One destroyed the oil rig. Cassidy must've settled down immediately after that. Also, as an aside, it sounds like she's suffering from the Jinxed trait =)

She's probably being sabotaged by Crimson Caravan, just like 3-Some Caravan was in Van Buren.

I like how they mention "the caravan wars", by the way. Or the NCR posters in her background "Woman of the NCR - Every one of YOU who serve is a SLAP! across Caesar's face!" that's already deeper than everything in Fallout 3 has been.

Black said:
Tagaziel said:
Would you prefer cardboard cut outs for companions like in Fallout 3? More features is good, especially if they factor into the gameplay.
I'd prefer something like characters from Fallout 2. Myron was a chem guy so he could make some stims and such. Vic could repair some junk. See, furry? No magic and no cardboard characters. Even Cassidy "managed" to achieve that despite having no special skills.

Huh? The NPCs in Fallout 2 had a neglible impact on the gameplay, apart from being another bipedal gun to shoot people.

* Myron was a drug dispenser - his presence had no impact on the gameplay whatsoever, apart from random floats in New Reno and Stables.
* Vic was tied to one plotline (tracking the canteen) and one minor event (Val) and could fix a staggering amount of five things throughout the game.
* Sulik was just a berserker, with no gameplay impact - no related quest, no bonus use, nothing.
* Lenny is the only character who can be considered gameplay-related, as he provides a rarely used Doctor skill that frees up your skillpoints. Also, he's not permitted into Lou's saloon or Vault City. That's about it.
* Skynet is a gun on tracks (literally). The hoops you have to jump through to get him are interesting, but expose one of the major flaws of Fallout 2 - even if you have Myron, you can't use him to fix the brain conundrum in SAD. Apart from getting him, Skynet is useless, he can't even talk with ACE in SF.
* Cassidy is a sniper with no questline, apart from the opportunity to get Stark to apologize to him.
* Marcus is similiar - he doesn't even react when you arrive in Mariposa.

NPCs in Fo2 are nothing special gameplay-wise. Bonuses they offer, if any, are very minor and for the most part useless - your character still needs to build up the skill they are an expert in to unlock content (eg. the combat implants in VC).

Now, Fallout: New Vegas introduces companions that:

a. have a questline related to them, each one,
b. affect the gameplay by boosting the player's character with a perk;
c. are tailored towards different gaming styles;
d. offer fire support.
e. are unique and fit in with the universe.

And the perks they give tie in with the character in question are no more magical than, say, choosing a perk every three levels.

I really have no idea why you're complaining about an upgrade from Fallout 2.

Back