Fallout: New Vegas E3 Trailer

PainlessDocM said:
alec said:
Tagaziel said:
I like it. Anyone who judges the game at this point is a MORON.

I beg to differ. Knowing what we know about Fallout 3 and the DLC, and seeing what we've seen/heard/read so far, you actually have to be a tad naive to think New Vegas will live up to its expectations.

Indeed, what are the positive differences we have seen so far?

None, but please do correct me if I am wrong.

Well now that's all down to opinion. Somebody could love the idea of ironsights, for example, and somebody else could completely despise it. Just because one person doesn't like it/likes it doesn't he mean he's a prophet of truth.

That's why I mentioned the range of opinion towards NV so far. A good chunk of people seem to be looking forward to it. But another somewhat smaller group seem to hate it. Personally, I'm going to wait until I play it to form a concrete opinion.

aenemic said:
this coupled with what I'm hoping to be better writing and more intelligence

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlm6hqz1tQY[/youtube]

An amazing display of non generic characters and intelligent dialogues.

PainlessDocM said:
aenemic said:
this coupled with what I'm hoping to be better writing and more intelligence

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlm6hqz1tQY[/youtube]

You can't really compare since the two games have different writers.

PainlessDocM said:

Have you played the game? It has a better flow of dialogue than any recent release, and very few bland, generic characters. It is certainly miles beyond Bethesda's writing.

Expresate said:

Oh I see, I didn't follow the development of FNV that closely. I sure hope it's better than this insult to our intelligence.

edit:

Brother None said:
PainlessDocM said:

Have you played the game? It has a better flow of dialogue than any recent release, and very few bland, generic characters. It is certainly miles beyond Bethesda's writing.

No I haven't played AP and I certainly don't intend to buy/play/rent it, I have seen enough video's on youtube etc.to make up my mind. And how is that silly Russian girl not the personification of 'generic cool'? She would be a perfect character for a Jean Claude Van Damme movie .(aimed at 15 year old teenagers)

PainlessDocM said:
No I haven't played AP and I certainly don't intend to buy/play/rent it, I have seen enough video's on youtube etc.to make up my mind. And how is that silly Russian girl not the personification of 'generic cool'? She would be a perfect character for a Jean Claude Van Damme movie .(aimed at 15 year old teenagers)

Russian? You mean SIE? She's supposed to be German. But I got that mixed up too first time I talked to her because the actress does an excruciatingly bad job of faking an accent. I fucking hate SIE.

But here's what's interesting: I think a lot of people will hate the game's more colourful characters. SIE, Heck, Brayko. But that's not a sign of bad writing, instead, it's refreshing to see a game again that dares writes characters interesting enough to actually engender opinions, rather than Mass Effect's rota of bland characters, or boring daddy Neeson.

It has its weaker moments in general. And you can say a lot of things about it. But calling it weaker than Bethesda's writing would be a stretch, so "better writing and more intelligence" is not an inconceivable claim.

See if my review can change your mind.

Brother None said:
Russian? You mean SIE? She's supposed to be German. But I got that mixed up too first time I talked to her because the actress does an excruciatingly bad job of faking an accent. I fucking hate SIE.

Lol I am half German so yeah that's a pretty horrible job :)

Brother None said:
But calling it weaker than Bethesda's writing would be a stretch, so "better writing and more intelligence" is not an inconceivable claim.

As I said, the only knowledge I have of F3 (and thus beth's "writing") was looking at a friend playing the game for a couple of hours. And of course from reading this forum.

I haven't played Mass effect either so I can't compare. I just miss the days of Fallout, Arcanum, and Vampire. What I have seen of Mass effect certainly didn't appeal to me. Perhaps I am wrong, perhaps FNV will actually be alright (?) . But from what I have seen and read it will probably just be a slightly less retarded F3. I will read your review of AP when I am a little more sober tomorrow.

Brother None said:

But here's what's interesting: I think a lot of people will hate the game's more colourful characters. SIE, Heck, Brayko. But that's not a sign of bad writing, instead, it's refreshing to see a game again that dares writes characters interesting enough to actually engender opinions, rather than Mass Effect's rota of bland characters, or boring daddy Neeson.

It has its weaker moments in general. And you can say a lot of things about it. But calling it weaker than Bethesda's writing would be a stretch, so "better writing and more intelligence" is not an inconceivable claim.

See if my review can change your mind.
Actually, a lot of people on places like 4chan's /v/ideo games board like those AP characters. They like Sis because she is "their waifu" (don't even fucking ask. Fucking weeaboos and their random Japanese words), Brayko because he has an awesome boss fight, and Heck because... He's Heck.

OakTable said:
They like Sis because she is "their waifu" (don't even fucking ask. Fucking weeaboos and their random Japanese words)
donttalkshitaboutmywaifu.jpg

:lol:

OakTable said:
Actually, a lot of people on places like 4chan's /v/ideo games board like those AP characters. They like Sis because she is "their waifu" (don't even fucking ask. Fucking weeaboos and their random Japanese words), Brayko because he has an awesome boss fight, and Heck because... He's Heck.

Wait, were we talking about Sis?

Eh, predictable jailbait material really. The character was way underexplored to be interesting.

Brayko's bossfight was a tad predictable, though the sound and visual design is brilliant. I loved him because he shows the extent of research Obsidian put into it. Good stuff.

Just chiming in on the Alpha Protocol thing.

I love how they finally made a game that departs from the narrow view of good and evil. Heck, a year ago I've written a lengthy piece on a developers forum about why dualistic morality is a concept that comes with very strong limitations and why it should be superseded by, for example, a reputation based system. When a game revolves around black and white choices, you never really make choices. Beforehand you decide what kind of character you wish to be, and then stick to it like a maniac. You play the system, which like an artificial God continuously reports to you what your actions are deemed to be. Mass Effect did this, and the outcome is that you'll always end up playing a bland game of either paragon or renegade, but never really make a decision based on your own conviction. Worst case scenario: you'll reload to get those extra paragon/renegade points. This is also why these games don't handle unintended consequences very well, and thus choices are hardly ever unclear.

Going for an innovative take on morality has worked really well in AP, and its a showcase for how switching away from good and evil, and even from the idea of good or bad actions, opens up new options. You're freer in character design, because characters no longer have to be 'good' or 'evil'; they can also be Steven Heck. Actions no longer have to depend on and influence only one statistic which in turn governs a large part of a game. Instead, it's what characters think of your actions that defines both them and you. It's a nice way of delivering player character development while at the same time fleshing out the characters you meet, and all the while this ties in well with how you can implement choice and consequence.

The way they've tried to improve on the karma system in FNV is by adding a reputation system on top, as far as I understand from my reading. Although it doesn't insure that the game will have great writing and characters, at least its potential won't be hampered by the limitations of a stand-alone karma system. That a game without a good/evil system can still turn out to hold on to that basic dichotomy is sadly portrayed by Dragon Age:Origins. They had all the opportunity to go wild on a choice and consequence level, but in the end barely used their options.

Now that I'm rambling, might as well add a note on The Witcher. The main problem with that game's take on morality was that it tried just a little too hard to make a player regret his choice, or make it seem like a 'bad' choice. There weren't any good choices, but instead of easing the player into his own choice, there was always this nagging judging aftertaste when your decision plays out. Alpha Protocol on the other hand expressly wishes to convince the player that there aren't any bad choices, but just choices. The difference is that The Witcher sometimes made you feel like you weren't in control, whereas AP goes to great lengths to camouflage this aspect. It convinces you that you've tried your best and that the consequences weren't particularly bad, good or wrong, but that some people agree with them and others don't.

PainlessDocM said:
Expresate said:

Oh I see, I didn't follow the development of FNV that closely. I sure hope it's better than this insult to our intelligence.

If you haven't been following it that closely, then maybe you don't know the writer is Chris Avellone? He was the lead designer for Planescape: Torment and kept up the Fallout Bible for a while. I don't know what that will mean to you.

PainlessDocM said:

don't diss it before you play it. the writing in AP is on a completely different level than Bethesda could ever hope to achieve. in fact, AP is one of the best games I've ever played when it comes to dialogue and character depth. rarely do I get so attached to characters in a game, even the ones you only see for a few minutes.

but as has been stated, the two games don't even have the same writers so the comparison is moot.

The best part about Alpha Protocol in my opinion is the fact that despite the fact that (most of) the characters are memorable and interesting, Obsidian doesn't go the Bethesda route of making them untouchable until they tell you they can die, you get the choice to drop most of them.

Playing through the game and killing everyone who you run into is just as viable as trying to get everyone to like you.

PainlessDocM said:
alec said:
Tagaziel said:
I like it. Anyone who judges the game at this point is a MORON.

I beg to differ. Knowing what we know about Fallout 3 and the DLC, and seeing what we've seen/heard/read so far, you actually have to be a tad naive to think New Vegas will live up to its expectations.

Indeed, what are the positive differences we have seen so far?

None, but please do correct me if I am wrong.
the main sl,more humor,hardcore mode,weapon mods, improve companions, tweaked dialogue system,new vegas strip man, and the writing we know will be better. :clap:

PainlessDocM said:
Expresate said:

edit:

Brother None said:
PainlessDocM said:

give ap a try after 3 patches !the rpg parts of the game are great.

I don`t know why people hate New Reno... I`ll in fact I do but totally disagree. New Reno was great location, perfectly fitting post-apo environtent. In the world od decay and despair one this every one truly desires is... some fun! And mobsters know that`s true :wink:

I'd just like to chime in and say that I'm very happy that Brother None brought back that signature of his. Now... Never change it again.

Back