Fallout: New Vegas E3 Trailer

alec said:
Men in skirts, super mutants in drag and a city that looks and feels as horribly out of place as New Reno did.

Wow. They really nailed it this time. :roll:
So, city with lights and gambling automatically equals New Reno?

OakTable said:
Bethesda sucks at animation. Turns out their animation head failed his college course on animation. Twice. I'm not joking. Obsidian is also mediocre at animations but not as much as Bethesda.

To make it worse the animations used in that video are stock mo cap animations found for free on the internet. I used them at university once for a laugh.

I think Caesar's Legion is alright in the sense that it's set up after the Roman empire in terms of its hierarchies and all that. But I really wish they didn't copy the actual look of Roman soldiers. I think that era in history is very interesting but it just clashes so bad with the style of Fallout, it looks so goddamn ridiculous.

And that's really my problem with the trailer as well. It's no surprise that it was gonna be action-focused, that's not really my beef with it (though I naturally prefer trailers showing off all kinds of content, not just combat). It's the fact that it's so all over the place, reminiscant of Bethesda's "hey, let's throw all the cool shit in the game and see what happens".

We have dogs with snake-heads, we have extremely over the top 50s cartoonish rockets, we have a dude in a suit walking away with explosions going off in Vegas behind him, we have dudes in Legion costumes attacking with swords, we have an orbital laser thingie. It just gives me a feeling of "what the fuck is going on here?!", and not in a good way.

That said, some of the stuff that I'm looking forward to the most in this game is probably also stuff that might be very questionable in terms of the Fallout-iness so to speak. I'm really eager to explore Vegas for example, despite that it's not classically post-apocalyptically destroyed.

Silly theme-park orgy as expected from the makers of FO2 ridiculousness and with the FO3 number on it... :roll:

FO3: New Reno 2 ftw!

OakTable said:
Bethesda sucks at animation. Turns out their animation head failed his college course on animation. Twice. I'm not joking. Obsidian is also mediocre at animations but not as much as Bethesda.
lol..obsidian sneaking animation in alpha protocol .the (but funny)worst ever!

x'il said:
Silly theme-park orgy as expected from the makers of FO2 ridiculousness and with the FO3 number on it... :roll:

It's not Fallout 3?

Unless you're being like that

It's crazy seeing so many opinions over New Vegas everywhere, though. With Fallout 3 the opinions were pretty two sided. It's going to be amazing, or it's going to be crap. Unless the others were hidden somewhere.

Expresate said:
x'il said:

It's not Fallout 3?

Nah, i meant with the FO3 baggage...

x'il said:
Expresate said:
x'il said:

It's not Fallout 3?

Nah, i meant with the FO3 baggage...

I see. So what's your opinion on New Vegas overall? With the eye-roll I'm guessing not so good? Or was that over the trailer?

Tagaziel said:
I like it. Anyone who judges the game at this point is a MORON.
People should judge before buying. The easiest way to know it's because of trailers, since there are little demos actually.

It's still not justified to have opinions of the game when it hasn't even released yet, but the above logic works. If they decide to do a trailer about that, it's the little material people have to judge for deciding whether to buy it or not.

Expresate said:
I see. So what's your opinion on New Vegas overall? With the eye-roll I'm guessing not so good? Or was that over the trailer?

From all the the info so far it looks awful, plus, it reinforces the look that the ridiculousness of FO3 breeds with the ridiculousness of FO2 giving birth to an aberration of theme-park idiocy, including talking animals, 10,000 silly references, and atmosphere/setting raping at the face of which the original fallout would puke. :P

I think this might be much more entertaining than what beth came up with, minus the Fallout part. I'm getting kind of tired of basing my critiques on "Fallout sequels" by the standarts of the original games.... It's just not worth the effort, since a game like the original Fallout is just not going to be made.

Looking at it from a slightly different perspective, some of the ideas sound pretty interesting. I'm withholding my judgment on caesars legion for now. In the hands of bethesda it would probably turn out very badly, but obsidian could pull it off. I just hope that the story and the writing will be rock solid this time around, exploring and shooting things only takes you so far.

Tagaziel said:

I beg to differ. Knowing what we know about Fallout 3 and the DLC, and seeing what we've seen/heard/read so far, you actually have to be a tad naive to think New Vegas will live up to its expectations.

alec said:
Tagaziel said:

I beg to differ. Knowing what we know about Fallout 3 and the DLC, and seeing what we've seen/heard/read so far, you actually have to be a tad naive to think New Vegas will live up to its expectations.

Indeed, what are the positive differences we have seen so far?

None, but please do correct me if I am wrong.

I feel like the black sheep that actually liked New Reno a lot back in Fallout 2, even if it was totally out of place in the setting. And it's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to more in New Vegas. :)

I hope there aren't some new stupid minigames. The ones in Alpha Protocol are moronic enough on the PC.

A lot shit is improved already, compared to Fallout 3. So regardless of what happens, New Vegas will be better than Fallout 3 in any case.

Lexx said:
A lot shit is improved already, compared to Fallout 3. So regardless of what happens, New Vegas will be better than Fallout 3 in any case.

agreed, there seem to be so many small details they've improved upon (along with bringing back things that were there in the originals, more or less). this coupled with what I'm hoping to be better writing and more intelligence put behind quests makes me feel a lot more positive about this than FO3.

BUT, that is because I tend to like FPS gameplay and my main issue with where they've taken the franchise isn't that it's no longer turn-based isometric combat. if that's one of your major issues and you don't like FPS gameplay at all, then I can definitely understand being as negative about F:NV as with FO3.

Back