Fallout: Sonora, a new project by the developers of Fallout: Nevada

So the good folks that made Fallout: Nevada announced a new Fallout TC.
poster_FS.jpg

Link to the thread: http://www.nuclear-city.com/index.php/topic/818-fallout-sonora-обсуждение/page-1

Dev's response and announce, translated:
BlackDesigner said:
Due to BlackFlame's frivolity, I have to go online and explain the situation.

Yes, I'm developing Fallout: Sorona for a year so far. But I didn't quite had a time for press-release since a good visual base is required for that, which is left for last development stage (first goes scripting, writing, then graphics). News article is planned with poster and intro video, which are not quite ready yet.

Everything was revisioned. From weapon arsenal to cultural connotations. I had to do extensive research job - watch hundreds of old Hollywood films, study kilometers long worth of articles about America and Mexico, analyze other games of similar genres. The whole scripting-macro mechanics is redone, (the engine part is untouched, of course) all prefabs are redone, balance is drastically changed many more. And this is a completely different project than Nevada, don't even mention it.

Some of it you already know. The map is located to the right and bottom of F1 map, a bit on the edge of crossing (the region is chosen due to the story theme). Biggest city is named Phoenix. Tucson is also present (named Two Sun), with a crazy faction of tinsmiths. Rangers who established a bastion at Parker Dam - one of the central faction of the story. There are 11 big and 5 smaller locations planned (and almost all of them are tied to the main storyline). The project is aimed for roleplaying and storytelling, like all of you love. I won't tell anything regarding the story because it's too easy to spoil.

What about music, I warned Anton that I'm intended to use Fallout OST only. But if this person really wants to grow professionally, then be my guest to research do his best. I only need advisers/consultants/observers, and later - correctors and playtesters.

For now: a couple of screenshots showing off new architecture and loot. As you can see, the interface is also reworked.

P.S.: I'm really sorry for not responding in discussions (here and at VK) but the feedback is too distractive from my own business, besides I don't have that much of a free time. Every hour lost in talking could lead to a new script, dialog or graphics asset for the future game. Due to personal circumstances I already lost 4 months, although I could've been in time for Fallout 20th anniversary. Now the timing is very uncertain.
http://polariton.ad-l.ink/7YkXTyJXZ/thumb.png
http://meson.ad-l.ink/74xMmWVhL/thumb.png

About HRP and sfall integration - "Let the others to do it. My aim is to make a project, fill it with content, writing and gameplay. I don't have time for other things."
And some other screenshots.
P-iPh-B5eCc.jpg

WdJYoQh1t6c.jpg

Time to learn Russian, I guess.

Thanks to @0wing for the newsblurb (yes, most of this post was copy/paste from him, so really, all thanks to him).

Last edited:
Well, these cuties were planned for Van Buren.
latest

It would be interesting to see some pre-war animals, hopefully that's what that carcass hints at.

Heh I think you put in more thought into this subject than you should Golbolco.

But in all seriousness we should have seen more non mutated creatures or creatures that have been mutated in a different way than what we saw in Fallout 1 and 2.
That we only saw mutated variants I put on the fact that it would have required extra time to make more variants and if they are only used a couple of times it was perhaps not worth the effort.

That all animals are now mutated variants is sort of a flanderizing effect I feel is perpetuated by Bethesda's team.
We know dogs, wolves, and coyotes in general remained baseline (should there also have been mutated variants of those).
So do put in some normal cows, chickens, pigs, and horses (yes I know that it was mentioned in the Fallout bible that all horses died but I feel the design document needs to remain a "living" document, that there is room for change if it helps improve things or adds some variety. BTW I don't call the stuff Bethesda adds "improving" the setting)

Edit: I know it is a pointless exercise but I do think a lot about what kind of new human mutants could be added to Fallout.
But I always try to image some kind of "role" or "niche" for them and it is hard to come up with something new that fits the 50s mindset.

This is not news, just a fun fact about the intro video.

"According to the original idea, the video was supposed to end with a sandstorm. But we do not have such cool visualization capabilities. They did what they could do, given all the circumstances."

Referring to the people that worked on the intro obviously.

Have just played for an hour, and all I can say so far... it's ok. Yet another variation of the old plot about enemies targeting your home with you being the only one able to save your family/neighbours/village/town. Banal, but it sill works if all you need is to introduce your character and give him a kick in the butt. I just hope that saving your family is not the main quest of the game and that it will become more interesting to play after some time.

Strange, but unlike to F:Nevada there is no differentiation between male and female characters it the dialogs anymore. Here and there I hear "amigo" and "señor" from those addressing my female character. At first I thought it's a bug, but the dialog files i checked don't have any reserved lines for female chars. A bummer :(

Last edited:
Have just played for an hour, and all I can say so far... it's ok. Yet another variation of the old plot about enemies targeting your home with you being the only one able to save your family/neighbours/village/town. Banal, but it sill works if all you need is to introduce your character and give him a kick in the butt. I just hope that saving your family is not the main quest of the game and that it will become more interesting to play after some time.

Strange, but unlike to F:Nevada there is no differentiation between male and female characters it the dialogs anymore. Here and there I hear "amigo" and "señor" from those addressing my female character. At first I thought it's a bug, but the dialog files i checked don't have any reserved lines for female chars. A bummer :(
I've been playing it and I'm also somewhat bored by the plot which feels like a southern-flavored Fallout 2 story. I'm hoping that later in the game the plot will develop some kind of twist as it goes on.

I don't know much Russian, but maybe the writers do not understand gendered language like Spanish very well? Is Russian a gendered language or no?

But how are you playing it without knowing Russian? :D
I don't know much Russian, but maybe the writers do not understand gendered language like Spanish very well? Is Russian a gendered language or no?
It is. That's why I found it strange that it was not implemented. Meybe the devs didn't really have that much time afterall, half of the files within the dialog directory have the "last time changed" date between Feb and today.

Can't seem to get any of the sites to work properly, maybe the demand is to high...my spider senses mistrusts these Russian websites, no offence my beautiful Russian friends, but can someone up-load it to Google Cloud.

I was trying to extract some of the files but couldn't seem to get it to work, is anyone able to post an image of the world map by any chance?

If you guys are still wondering, the developer has confirmed that this mod takes place a few years after Fallout 1.

But how are you playing it without knowing Russian? :D
I started trying to learn it when I began reading the Nevada Bible and now I’m using this game to practice too! I’m hoping the developers will come out with a Sonora bible and similar materials later.

No one risks uploading the ready-made installer to their cloud yet

Why?! You mean by adding High Resolution Patch and Sfall it is somewhat more risky to upload installer version compared to the .zip pack without HRP and sfall beyond torrent?

I don't see the .zip packed version beeing less of a varez than the installer pack with HRP and sfall.

I've already checked
.zip packed version can be ran without any dependancy on any Fallout 2 files, hence it is a independant standalone game. It is using graphical assets, game mechanics,etc from Fallout 2 without the requiremet to have Fallout 2 purchesed and installed on the hard drive..

Nevada Band released one version on standard download, and the other is on torrents, why such a difference?? Zip version is already released in a way that breaks international Intelectual Property Laws, so how does it make 'less risky' to put it on regular download compared to the torrent version?? I don't get it??

I assume the only difference is that torrent version is bundled with an installer, HRP and sfall.. Am I right??
If that's the case how is it 'more risky' to upload the installer version to regular download? they're both interfere with intelectual propety laws... so what's the point?

If You'd want to 'go around' the problem You'd have to compose the game files in a way similar to Fo1,5: Resurrection, such that Fallout:Sonora is required to have Fallout 2 installed on hard drive ( or at least Fallout:Sonora should need some files from Fallout2, that Falout:Sonora does not come packed with already).

Anyways could You explain to all of us why there's a torrent only limitation to the installer version?

gustarballs1983, stop it, or at least postprone this nagging for a later time. I was browsing Sonora dedicated Russian discussion boards, and it looks like Foxx and the rest of the crew are now preoccupied with the problems and bugs the release has, so if you don't want to hear something edgy or borderline rude in respose, it's not the best time to bring this issue up.

If you're so paranoid about warez, just wait untill someone repacks it as a mod, as it was with F:Nevada. There is no translation yet available anyway, so you're losing nothing.

I started trying to learn it when I began reading the Nevada Bible and now I’m using this game to practice too! I’m hoping the developers will come out with a Sonora bible and similar materials later.
No "Bible" of Sonora yet, but there was a Nevada design document somewhere, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

gustarballs1983, stop it, or at least postprone this nagging for a later time. I was browsing Sonora dedicated Russian discussion boards, and it looks like Foxx and the rest of the crew are now preoccupied with the problems and bugs the release has, so if you don't want to hear something edgy or borderline rude in respose, it's not the best time to bring this issue up.

If you're so paranoid about warez, just wait untill someone repacks it as a mod, as it was with F:Nevada. There is no translation yet available anyway, so you're losing nothing.

@dozen
I'm not trying to be rude, it's just this issue could as well potentially bite back at Nevada band one day if somehow Bethesda finds out. It's always better to release stuff as a 'mod'.

As for Foxx and Nevada band post release problems.. relax it's as with every software 'on schedule' rushed release. usually there's going to be problems initially, take it cool at least I'm used to that, and am not complaining about it. Let them take their time to smooth things out. My initial game impression of first 20 min in the game was extremely positive anyway. Any fresh point of view in classic Fallout engine gaming probably feels kind of similar, it gives hype because it's new, right now I'm still about the hype.

As for Russian language, than I've told on this forum already, I've been 'shoveled' it into my head by my secondary school teachers for over 5 years, they had a tough job as I was a 'hard headed resistive' student however some of those teachings stayed in my head, so One might say that on a retarded kindergarden level I can understand Russian, more or less, just don't expect my reading or writing in Russian to be fluent.

If You'd want to 'go around' the problem You'd have to compose the game files in a way similar to Fo1,5: Resurrection, such that Fallout:Sonora is required to have Fallout 2 installed on hard drive ( or at least Fallout:Sonora should need some files from Fallout2, that Falout:Sonora does not come packed with already).
Sonora it's not a simple mod like Resurrection, almost everything was modified. And you need new executable file anyway... so what is difference?

Btw, if anyone playing...
Patch to version 1.01 (for original version) -
http://fallout-nevada.ucoz.ru/junk/Fallout_Sonora_Fix_01.zip
Patch to version 1.01 (for hires/sfall version) - https://www.mediafire.com/file/06q0rlaptz7ceb2/Fallout_Sonora_Patch_1.01.exe/file
Fallout Sonora, Fix #1, 23 марта 2020:

========================================

от Nevada Band Studio:
----------------------------------------
- Исправлены гендерные ляпы: GCPit, NCHimadr, PCBrtrB, PCLloyd, PCRedPst, SCSlave, PCCltSpy.
- Исправлены опечатки: Генри Бимис ("плачь") + Оррис ("не переношу на душ") + Гарт ("к дежурного") + COMBAT.BIO ("тем ни менее") + MCRdrBld ("не куда") + TCBoss ("В тоже время") + NCHimadr ("по своей воли") + NCApcLab ("Всклое") + SCBoss ("от колонизатором") + Эль Гиганто.
- Исправлена путаница фраз в диалоге: Тодд в Гараж-Сити + Аарон в Фениксе + утерянная реплика у Каррингтона (запись error) + Диане удалено упоминание реактора для силовой брони (чтобы не вводить в заблуждение)
- Особенность "Испанский язык" переписана обратно в оригинальный вид (хотя её воздействие осталось прежним, то есть это "Кровавая баня" + перевод испанского языка).
- Исправлен баг с восстановлением ловушек-мин.
- Повышен на 200 максимальный перегруз без повреждения ног.
- Вилла: жителям снижен порог агрессивности от репутации (обход проблемы движка).
- Гараж-Сити: Лукас и его банда теперь пропадают с Завода, если Коган прогнал их во время сделки.
- Гараж-Сити: теперь фальшивокрышечный станок можно уничтожить навыками Ремонт и Ловушки.
- Гараж-Сити: беженец по квесту рейнджеров теперь пропадает с карты после раскрытия лагеря Мохаве.
- Флагпул: оператору станка добавлена поясняющая реплика по квесту Кнута.
- Флагпул: через Уго теперь тоже можно завершить квест по побегу из шахты.
- Флагпул: частично переписана реплика 446 у бармена, чтобы вызывала меньше недопонимания.
- Флагпул: уточнения в скрипте бармена по первому квесту
- Сан-Брамин: рейнджер Оскар теперь возвращается в пуэбло после успешной битвы с миссионерами.
- Рейнджеры: увеличен радиус обнаружения ретранслятора с помощью рации.
- Пуэрто: реплика со сдачей квеста по уничтожению дамбы теперь доступна при Интеллекте 1 + введена недостающая фиксация диалога.
- Каборка: на всякий случай заложнику-караванщику переведен режим агрессии с 1 (клановая вражда) на 0 (личная вражда).
- Каборка: отряд БС больше не переносится в пещеру в удвоенном количестве.
- Расширены и уточнены партийные настройки для Каррингтона и других напарников.
- На всякий случай удалена сомнительная позиция из WORLDMAP.TXT (строка 07 в RNGR_D)

Дополнительно:
от Foxx:
- интегрирован фикс 0.2 для сборки Foxx (исправление настроек sfall).

от Pyran:
- Исправление оригинального интерфейса, Рука1 Рука 2. и прочие арты.
- Дополнительная правка sfall:
Активирована расширенная карта мира.
Активированы метки пути, как Fallout.
Активировано название ландшафта (горы, пустыня, город)
Активировано продолжение игры после 13 лет.
Версия игры переименованна в 1.01.
Быстрое сохранение на первой странице.
Активирована анимация убирания оружия при открытии контейнеров.
- добавлен редактор F12se.
- Добавлена иконка и новые ярлыки.
- Исправлено описание "Испанский Язык", переименнованно в "Испанская кровь", с соответствующим описанием.

Back