Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Yesterday

I got a report that there are issues with sfall HiResMode and Windows 11.
The message box is empty. Turning it off in ddraw.ini fixes the problem.

Can anyone else confirm this?

upload_2023-12-26_14-33-28.png

I got a report that there are issues with sfall HiResMode and Windows 11.
The message box is empty. Turning it off in ddraw.ini fixes the problem.

Can anyone else confirm this?
If by messagebox you mean the thing in the bottom left corner, it works fine on my end. Win11 22h2. With the built-in hrp

Hi, I'll do my best to get the majority of the game done by the end of 2024. I can't say everything since it's an enormous game. The worldmap is 5 times the size of Fallout 2 and that one took a large group of devs 9 months to finish.
Now I can imagine there being lots of polishing and bugfixing in 2025.
What makes things great is that I can do focused work during 2024 around quests and NPCs. The worst thing for deadlines is when you are working in constant start/stop state and jump from one different thing to the other. This project is beyond that now.

Honestly, I'm not surprised by your reply - it would be extremely challenging to release that scope of game in span of the next 12 months.
Btw, personally I have no problem to wait 18 or even 24 months for final version.

Last edited:
GOG version does have patch000.dat

I think killap's patches used to unpack & remove it. Not sure about UPU/RPU.
That was probably it! I had RPU installed but I reinstalled Fallout 2 now and patch000.dat appeared in the folder.

I do have a bit of a problem with the graphics though, on sfall d3d9 I get this blue/gray tint, dunno if it's some palette problem
1.png

on sfall ddraw; mash ddraw; mash d3d9; it looks correctly, no blue tint. I reinstalled gfx drivers just to be sure, but it didn't help. Normal FO2 doesn't have this problem.

Edit: Or is that some shader thing? I have shaders turned off though.
Edit2: yep, it's a shader thing, after renaming data\shaders folder to data\shaders2 it works correctly. I have shaders turned off in ddraw.ini, I didn't know that they're applied implicitly.

Last edited:
I do have a bit of a problem with the graphics though, on sfall d3d9 I get this blue/grey tint, dunno if it's some palette problem
After a bit of investigation, the culprit is the Grayscale.fx shader. That said, I have the grayscale option if f2_res.ini turned off (maybe built-in hrp doesn't respect that). Also it doesn't look grayscale, although that might be a problem at a driver level.

Bottom line is, if anyone has the same problem, just delete grayscale.fx from data\shaders.

Edit2: yep, it's a shader thing, after renaming data\shaders folder to data\shaders2 it works correctly. I have shaders turned off in ddraw.ini, I didn't know that they're applied implicitly.
Thanks! Had that problem as well.

I'm really tempted to play this, but I would still rather wait till all side content is finished.
I'm playing with the intention to give feedback so that they can inprove upon it. Think I will do this before playing New Vegas again.

I do have a bit of a problem with the graphics though, on sfall d3d9 I get this blue/gray tint, dunno if it's some palette problem
1.png

on sfall ddraw; mash ddraw; mash d3d9; it looks correctly, no blue tint. I reinstalled gfx drivers just to be sure, but it didn't help. Normal FO2 doesn't have this problem.

Edit: Or is that some shader thing? I have shaders turned off though.

Thanks! Had that problem as well.

Hah, that's deliberate shading because you are inside a SimTek 5000 simulation hologram. I'll have to somehow indicate that fact better, it's not an issue with your graphic card or drivers.
Once you exit the simulation, the colors will return to their normal.

I wonder if the F2 engine will break as Fallout: Yesterday keeps getting bigger.

We already hit some of limits with strings and art limitations in a few spots but nothing we couldn't find a workaround for.
It did cause some workflow delays though but nothing I would be worried about. I think NovaRain from sfall helped sort out a few issues, when there were too many quests in Pip-Boy for example, so thanks for that.

I'm really tempted to play this, but I would still rather wait till all side content is finished.

Anytime you decide to play should be good! You could play this version to see what the main story is about while you could play the final version to see all the side content.

hexer said:
Hah, that's deliberate shading because you are inside a SimTek 5000 simulation hologram.
Haha that was actually what I thought to begin with because I immediately recognized Scrapheap.

Version 0.5.1 Hotfix

Heya mutants, here's the v0.5.1 hotfix for a bug found where a wrong variable ID was referenced for tracking down the escaped prisoners. Instead of 347, it said 348 which is a leftover from testing. Just drop WORLDMAP.TXT file to /patch001.dat/Data folder, overwrite the old one and you should be good.

ah ok, I just hope that the shaders are not critical to the game, otherwise you're locked into sfall d3d9.

Shaders aren't critical :ok:

Attachments

The simulation the Prisoner experiences at the beginning has some issues, I wanted to play through it before moving on to the main game, but the whole quest there doesn't seem to work.

I joined The Fools and she sent me to the Crypts hideout to "gather intel", but the object that seems to be the most obvious thing that would contain intel can't be accessed - the refrigerator. It's locked, and you can unlock it, but if you try to open it the text box says it's still locked. I was using sneak and lockpick at the same time so I wasn't noticed, but it still didn't work. So when that happened, I just initiated combat and The Fools jumped in and helped me kill all the Crypts, one of which had broken combat bark strings (they would spam a million times a second to the point where it slowed down the game), Rock, I think his name was. Then when combat was over, Baka had no update acknowledging that the Crypts were dealt with and they could go take over the power generator now, she was still asking if it was time to go fight them. On top of all this, when I decided to leave the simulation, the items in my inventory came with me to the main game, which didn't happen in the Van Buren tech demo in Tibbets.

One last confusing thing was that all of the prisoner's Lil' Pips were in ODYSSEUS' interrogation room, are those supposed to be there if you want to speedrun Act 1?

Regardless Hexer, I'm happy you and your team have come this far, and I'm looking forward to further updates of Fallout Yesterday.

I also had some problems with the simulated Scrapheap when I joined the Fools. It's a great idea to begin the game with that classic Fallout content it's just that it probably needs to be looked over.

The simulation the Prisoner experiences at the beginning has some issues, I wanted to play through it before moving on to the main game, but the whole quest there doesn't seem to work.

I joined The Fools and she sent me to the Crypts hideout to "gather intel", but the object that seems to be the most obvious thing that would contain intel can't be accessed - the refrigerator. It's locked, and you can unlock it, but if you try to open it the text box says it's still locked. I was using sneak and lockpick at the same time so I wasn't noticed, but it still didn't work. So when that happened, I just initiated combat and The Fools jumped in and helped me kill all the Crypts, one of which had broken combat bark strings (they would spam a million times a second to the point where it slowed down the game), Rock, I think his name was. Then when combat was over, Baka had no update acknowledging that the Crypts were dealt with and they could go take over the power generator now, she was still asking if it was time to go fight them. On top of all this, when I decided to leave the simulation, the items in my inventory came with me to the main game, which didn't happen in the Van Buren tech demo in Tibbets.

One last confusing thing was that all of the prisoner's Lil' Pips were in ODYSSEUS' interrogation room, are those supposed to be there if you want to speedrun Act 1?

Regardless Hexer, I'm happy you and your team have come this far, and I'm looking forward to further updates of Fallout Yesterday.

Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated!

Now about those bugs :drunk:
When you want to gather the intel on the Crypts, basically you just need to enter their hideout on either door. I'll make sure there's some message popping up telling the player that the intel has been gathered.

I'll also check out what's going on with the fridge, sounds like I accidentally locked the fridge inside Mapper when I should have left the code handle it.

I remember seeing the combat spams, and wrote a fix to address that. I made sure to faithfully implement all original F1 demo code, but it might need a bit modern approach if it's misbehaving.

The inventory items is a testing leftover, bug sorry. I'll fix it. No holographic items should come back since the replicators haven't been invented yet!

And finally, those Lil' Pips all conveniently lying around are a backup in case critical path ACT I quest breaks in some way. As it did, and we had to get a hotfix out. Of course, they won't be there the next time public release gets out since you'll be able to "corner down" every escaped prisoner in their intended end location, instead of relying on worldmap random chance encounter.

Thanks again and we hope you'll have much fun with this release!

If I just leave Scrapheap via the exit grid I get to bring all the loot I gathered back to the Prison.

Back