Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Yesterday

Suggestion for future update: Make Angela romanceable/seduceable!

Unfortunately right now even with max charisma and all naughty perks I cannot overpower her robosexuality. :(

Suggestion for future update: Make Angela romanceable/seduceable!

Unfortunately right now even with max charisma and all naughty perks I cannot overpower her robosexuality. :(

We will! It’s a request we’ve recieved multiple times by now. She actually had two flirting paths. One is a dead end you saw, and the other leads somewhere but can’t be triggered due to a bug. I’ll bump it up on our priority list

The conversation with the old black man below doesn't make much sense. But maybe he is supposed to be rambling.

I have a suggestion for the conversation below. He mentions Rake and your option is to reply "Umm, who's Rake?". In the example below I had already met Rake. So I would suggest that if you have spoken to Rake prior to talking to the old black man then you should instead be able to reply "What about Rake?". Just a bit of reactivity,

Old-black-man.png

---

e:

I was thinking about a reference to the Quake 2 prisoners to put in Tibbets. Can one inmate have floating text that is like this? All the quotes can be found at the bottom of this page.

Last edited:
We will! It’s a request we’ve recieved multiple times by now. She actually had two flirting paths. One is a dead end you saw, and the other leads somewhere but can’t be triggered due to a bug. I’ll bump it up on our priority list

Yay, it would be great since she is a really fun girl to be around^^

Any chance of her getting such stuff in the next update...hopefully still in 2024?

Also will there be more joinable companions with quests and backstories? Maybe flings or/and romances too?

(Would be sweet if Angela was among them)

Hi, I'll write a larger post later when I'll have time, just wanted to share some bugs (some may be intentional) and thoughts:

- you can enter New Caanan but can't leave (no exit grid, just some black void here and there), also there is loot in the church that probably shouldn't be there
- during Goris encounter you can't talk to him after speaking about car, I'm not counting floating text
- as @The_Proletarian said, many texts lack reactivity, you can often say the same things again and again to NPCs
- I think it is intentional but I dislike how in Fort Abandon you are immediately attacked by Deathclaw (it wasn't like that in an older build). Maybe it's a bug but I got it twice.
- If you enter Boulder Dome you get immediately attacked by ghouls, that makes sense... but maybe PE/Outdoorsman checks could prevent that?
- In general I think that some exit grids/green grids should be larger/more visible
- Angela ''romance quest'' in Tibbets should give some XP imo and good/bad karma when resolved.
- Any chance that you'll add an option to repair/reprogram a broken robot in Tibbets? Player could earn a temporary companion that way (and XP). A friendly robot could help wih plant and slugs.

Which location do you want to finish next? I would vote Blackfoot, to add more to the early game (dog companion!).
Would be cool if merchants and caravans could be added soon, right now I have a loot that I can't really sell (or please tell me where can I find merchants apart from random encounters).

I love how Hoover Dam looks. Can't wait for more stuff.

Anyway, congratulations to the whole team! Great job.

I'm thinking of holding off playing the main quest for now since I wanted there to be voiceover for talking heads for that little bit more immersion, would using AI voices from Elevenlabs be an acceptable substitute until real VAs record their performance?

I'd also like to echo what Sagez said about exit grids, the last thing I wanted to say about Scrapheap is that I briefly had trouble finding the exit grid, especially because of the blue filter making it harder to see.

Thank you all for the feedback, it is all very helpful in order to improve the game and fix bugs. Keep it coming!

The conversation with the old black man below doesn't make much sense. But maybe he is supposed to be rambling.

I’ll have to double check what’s going on with his dialog. Might be that a change was made and his dialog wasn’t updated.

I was thinking about a reference to the Quake 2 prisoners to put in Tibbets. Can one inmate have floating text that is like this? All the quotes can be found at the bottom of this page.

Sure thing, sounds like he would fit in two places in Tibbets without breaking the immersion! I’ll add that to our todo list

Any chance of her getting such stuff in the next update...hopefully still in 2024?

Yes!

Also will there be more joinable companions with quests and backstories? Maybe flings or/and romances too?

(Would be sweet if Angela was among them)

There will be many companions. Right now there are 4 companions, 2 of those secret. They can’t level up which sucks but it’s on our priority list. Angela wasn’t planned as a companion because of things I don’t want to spoil but we’ll think about it!

- you can enter New Caanan but can't leave (no exit grid, just some black void here and there), also there is loot in the church that probably shouldn't be there

Many locations lack that final polish. We released them in order to attract more devs to the team but I believe it scared them off when they saw the scope of it

Right now Hoover Dam is recieving lots of attention!

- during Goris encounter you can't talk to him after speaking about car, I'm not counting floating text

I’ll check but Goris’ encounter will get changed. The purpose of that encounter is to get your hands on the Highwayman (not implemented yet) first and foremost, he is just there guarding it.

as @The_Proletarian said, many texts lack reactivity, you can often say the same things again and again to NPCs

Yes, I know what you mean. The lack of time is what made us reuse old lines. It’s on our list to fix later. It is all needed before any VA.

- I think it is intentional but I dislike how in Fort Abandon you are immediately attacked by Deathclaw (it wasn't like that in an older build). Maybe it's a bug but I got it twice.

That’s odd, the deathclaw should attack the Legion first. Sounds like it saw/heard you first and lunged. Will be sorted out.

- If you enter Boulder Dome you get immediately attacked by ghouls, that makes sense... but maybe PE/Outdoorsman checks could prevent that?

There are a couple of things happening there. The hostiles will not only attack if they can see you, but also if they can just hear you. This was rarely the case in previous Fallout games where hostiles would only rely on sight. That means Sneak is a lot more useful skill than it was before. Also, those hostile glowing one ghouls are there for a reason but that is something not revealed yet.

In general I think that some exit grids/green grids should be larger/more visible
- Angela ''romance quest'' in Tibbets should give some XP imo and good/bad karma when resolved.

These should all be doable.

Any chance that you'll add an option to repair/reprogram a broken robot in Tibbets? Player could earn a temporary companion that way (and XP). A friendly robot could help wih plant and slugs.

You mean the robot inside the SimTek hologram or some other like those that got wasted by the mysterious soldiers? Nothing from SimTek actually exists since it’s all a holographic simulation so he can’t become a companion. But to answer your question, we have some plans for this, yes.

Which location do you want to finish next? I would vote Blackfoot, to add more to the early game (dog companion!).

The next location on our list is Hoover Dam. After that, Mesa Verde, Blackfoot and Boulder Dome.

Would be cool if merchants and caravans could be added soon, right now I have a loot that I can't really sell (or please tell me where can I find merchants apart from random encounters).

There are two merchants in the Reservation (they don’t restock yet).

I love how Hoover Dam looks. Can't wait for more stuff.

Anyway, congratulations to the whole team! Great job.

Thank you!! :salute:

I'm thinking of holding off playing the main quest for now since I wanted there to be voiceover for talking heads for that little bit more immersion, would using AI voices from Elevenlabs be an acceptable substitute until real VAs record their performance?

Yes, I know what you mean. We also miss the VA and that’s why everybody wanted to do the main story first, so we can lock down the dialogs for it and do the VA.

I'd also like to echo what Sagez said about exit grids, the last thing I wanted to say about Scrapheap is that I briefly had trouble finding the exit grid, especially because of the blue filter making it harder to see.

I think the main problem there is that you don’t immediately see it, so it’s easy to miss. It should be an easy fix.

Hey, just found out this TC. Amazing work ! Can't wait to play it.

Quick question though. If i didn't become color-blind suddenly, i don't think this is supposed to look like this:

edit: Failed to notice that it is by design, sorry. As soon as i exit the grid, everything is normal.

color-blind.png

Attachments

• color-blind.png
    color-blind.png
    1 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
In the future, it will be very clearly communicated that you’re inside the simulation hologram and that’s why the colors are different. Enjoy!

The log screen is not working, is it by design too ?

Nope, that's a rare bug with sfall HiRes mod some players have reported.
To fix it, you need to switch to Mash's HiRes mod again and use that. This will be sorted out in the future but these are the steps:

1. in ddraw.ini set HiResMode=0
2. in f2_res.ini set UAC_AWARE=0 and GRAPHICS_MODE=0
3. run f2_res_Config.exe and enable the mod
4. adjust settings to your liking

The latest Dev Diary on Patreon was very interesting about how caravans were implemented in Fallout. I hope it's ok that I quote some of it below:

As I mentioned in the last dev diary, I was looking into getting caravan runs working. To say the least, the way they were technically implemented in Fallout 1 and 2 is atrocious. No wonder the dev working on them thanked someone "for keeping me sane throughout this project" in Vault City Designer Notes and then never worked on another game ever again -_-

To refresh your memory, basically what's happening is that you jump from encounter to encounter on the same desert map until you reach the final destination. So, you're not actually traveling the world map, and every world map encounter is "faked." Yes, you read that right; every caravan encounter was re-implemented there using a SEPARATE script. The world map code plays no role.

This means the devs had to maintain two world map code bases instead of one. It also robs the player of opportunities to experience much more exciting caravan trips where any encounter, even special ones, can be triggered, where the player is the one planning the travel route, and also where their Outdoorsman skill plays a role. So as you know, if you have a higher Outdoorsman skill, the game will do the usual "random encounter prompt". Here it is even more important because that means there's an equally higher chance of your caravan successfully reaching its destination because you're good at Outdoorsman.

So, I decided to revisit the whole thing, unsure if my plan is even technically possible. And, I can say that it was, so I'm much happier with caravans now!

In Fallout Yesterday, when you start a caravan run, the world map will pop up, and then you can set off to your destination along the route of your choice. The caravan will follow you as long as you don't stray from your path (visiting another city or returning to the starting town), steal from them, attack them, if it takes too long, and so on

A rework is a good idea if the original method is a big mess. Does the game tell the player when the travel goes to much off the track or anything? Maybe like a scripted encounter with a warning from the caravan? Also with the player actually planning the Journey, your kinda taking the role of caravan master instead of just a guard.

I would welcome a more fleshed out caravan mechanic in then OG games too. Quite enjoyed doing those back in the day. pity it had low variable encounters

Does the game tell the player when the travel goes to much off the track or anything? Maybe like a scripted encounter with a warning from the caravan?

Yes, exactly that. The caravan master will stop the caravan and warn you if you are running late.

Also with the player actually planning the Journey, your kinda taking the role of caravan master instead of just a guard.

That is true, and I've been thinking about it. So, when you take the caravan job, you will be informed that you'll be directly assisting the caravan master along the way with all your skills and experience in wasteland survival. The goal is to defend the caravan, ensure it reaches its destination on time, and provide healing to any wounded team members, if possible.

It's more of a jack-of-all-trades position due to the player's familiarity with the wasteland than a specialized guard role. I must say that it didn't always make sense in Fallout 1 and 2 when they would hire just about any character build as a guard. What if my character was a diplomatic pencil neck? Why would anyone hire him as a guard unless they were desperate?

And, of course, there are plans for the player to progress to the position of the caravan master someday!
Just you, the guards, and the precious cargo - bigger stakes, bigger earnings :deal:

some of the texts are not readable (white coloured "amount" texts in barter screen for example) because of this weird bloom effect. Is there any way to disable this?
Untitled.png

Yes, you can easily disable it by going to \data\shaders folder and deleting/moving file global.fx from it

Back