Favorite Power Armor?

Vicious_Squid said:
The armor from BOS is fucking stupid and looks unefficient and overly dramatic.

The best looking one, at least from what I can think of now, is the Advanced Power Armor from FO1 and 2 because the eye holes are bigger and it looks more aerodynamic and looks more feasable, and plus it just looks intimidating (but not overdone).

I think you're confusing POS with Fallout. I'm sorry but we're speaking of two entirely different games here. :evil:

DarkLegacy said:
Way to win the stupidest quote award. :x

We as humans are very fleshy and very easily cut/broken, as we have internal skeletons and are made of flesh/bone. Crabs have an external exoskeleton that serves like armor, but they sacrifice the internal skeleton in return.

So, having both an internal and external exoskeleton makes it sort of 'optimal' does it not?

I disagree. Power armor (like FO 1,2) is very heavy, clumsy, with too big silhouette (nice target for hidden guy with big gun), and still doesn't have enough armor, to protect body. Power armor will have no chance against large-caliber sniper rifles and machineguns. So come back already fom your dreams and fantasies.

Also consider this: Powered armor is meant to increase your strength, so this allows you to manuever even better than you normally could, as well as carry the 500 pound armor on you.

If you wish to work as a loader in sea ports... Good. But not in real combat. What will this armor do in, for example, mountains? Maneuver? Don't make me laugh. (c) Shao Khan.

Would you rather be running around with a regular bulletproof vest... or would you rather have 500 pounds of steel on you and super strength?

300 kg of steel? What armor will it be? Don't forget about hi-tech elements, which make this armor move... Nah. By the way, It's very expensive and fragile technology.

Best choice today is to hide. Because present-day weapons are very powerful. If you revealed, you will be destroyed. In 2100 weapons will be even more powerful. I believe. Invisible war is a war of future.

So yeah, saying powered exoskeletons are a bad way to protect soldiers is like saying having castle walls is a bad way to protect a town. :roll:

Lol. Today is 2007 year! Not XIII century! Castle walls to protect town? Today it's a lamest idea N2.

Sorry for my bad english... I' just learning.

ben-ten said:
I disagree. Power armor (like FO 1,2) is very heavy, clumsy, with too big silhouette (nice target for hidden guy with big gun), and still doesn't have enough armor, to protect body. Power armor will have no chance against large-caliber sniper rifles and machineguns. So come back already fom your dreams and fantasies.

Do research before you claim anything:

WestTek said:
The T-51b Powered Infantry Armor is designed with the latest passive defense features for both civilian and military disturbances. The back-mounted TX-28 MicroFusion Pack generates 60,000 Watts to power the HiFlo hydraulic systems built into the frame of the suit. Made of the latest poly-laminate composite, the T-51b shell is lightweight and capable of absorbing over 2500 Joules of kinetic impact. The 10 micron silver ablative coating can reflect laser and radiation emissions without damage to the composite subsurface.

This armor laid waste to Chinese armies on all fronts, pushing them back from Anchorange Front Line back to Beijing. Your point about the "big silhouette" is also moot, as the armor is only slightly larger than a muscled human. Check the Fallout intro for comparison. The armor does, indeed, stand a chance, as it helped defeat the Chinese. So come back already from your dreams and fantasies.

If you wish to work as a loader in sea ports... Good. But not in real combat. What will this armor do in, for example, mountains? Maneuver? Don't make me laugh. (c) Shao Khan.

As already proven, the T-51b Powered Infantry Combat Armor is slightly larger than a muscly human, so it is entirely capable of operating in mountainous terrain.

300 kg of steel? What armor will it be? Don't forget about hi-tech elements, which make this armor move... Nah. By the way, It's very expensive and fragile technology.

Are you a gifted moron, or just try real hard? It's not fragile, as it operates on hydraulics entirely encased within a composite shell, which is a. lightweight and b. protective.

Best choice today is to hide. Because present-day weapons are very powerful. If you revealed, you will be destroyed. In 2100 weapons will be even more powerful. I believe. Invisible war is a war of future.

Bullshit. Soldiers will have to fight on the front regardless of the era.

Lol. Today is 2007 year! Not XIII century! Castle walls to protect town? Today it's a lamest idea N2.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out the analogy.

Mikael Grizzly said:
ben-ten said:

Do research before you claim anything:

WestTek said:
The T-51b Powered Infantry Armor is designed with the latest passive defense features for both civilian and military disturbances. The back-mounted TX-28 MicroFusion Pack generates 60,000 Watts to power the HiFlo hydraulic systems built into the frame of the suit. Made of the latest poly-laminate composite, the T-51b shell is lightweight and capable of absorbing over 2500 Joules of kinetic impact. The 10 micron silver ablative coating can reflect laser and radiation emissions without damage to the composite subsurface.
Notice that he said large calibers sniper rifles and machine guns - i.e. those that use 12,7mm, 14,5mm and similar ammo. Over 2500 Joules suggests that it was designed to stop rifle caliber rounds like .308. 12,7mm has energy of about 16000 Joules and 14,5mm - 31700 Joules which means that being hit by them is a very bad thing.
However it would protect from most of small arms fire and artillery fragments.

Mikael Grizzly said:

As already proven, the T-51b Powered Infantry Combat Armor is slightly larger than a muscly human, so it is entirely capable of operating in mountainous terrain.

Are you a gifted moron, or just try real hard? It's not fragile, as it operates on hydraulics entirely encased within a composite shell, which is a. lightweight and b. protective.
Err...
He was talking about a RL future power armor concept and replying to the DarkLegacy's post in which he says being protected by 500 pounds of steel is a good idea.

Mikael Grizzly said:
This armor laid waste to Chinese armies on all fronts, pushing them back from Anchorange Front Line back to Beijing. Your point about the "big silhouette" is also moot, as the armor is only slightly larger than a muscled human. Check the Fallout intro for comparison. The armor does, indeed, stand a chance, as it helped defeat the Chinese. So come back already from your dreams and fantasies.

If we talk about fiction world of FO... It's all fantasy. How much power suits and ammo will need to stand agains those zerg ordes of chineese people? And, believe me, new materials will be used not only in power suits... But also in new weapons, bullets ans so on... What's the point in this inventions? Hide soldier or make him more protective (it's moot too) less dexterous, more expensive and with dangerous elements in his body (like that mini-reactor)?

Still it's less dexterous. Those knight helmets are increadibly bullshit. Like said Peter Weller about Robocop suit (which pretty the same) "hardest thing was to walk down the stairs". Maybe it's sounds quite exxagerate, but that's main idea. I know, that soldier needs to be protected... But power suit is not the right way.

Softer. 500 pounds - is a lightweight? It's a joke? What about war in jungle?

Bullshit. Soldiers will have to fight on the front regardless of the era.

Yes. But present-day wars resemble partisan wars. "Wall against wall" is bygone century.

To Sorrow:
Thanks, I didn't know how much Joules produce such caliber.

ben-ten said:
If we talk about fiction world of FO... It's all fantasy. How much power suits and ammo will need to stand agains those zerg ordes of chineese people? And, believe me, new materials will be used not only in power suits... But also in new weapons, bullets ans so on... What's the point in this inventions?
I suspect that they simply mowed them down with minigun fire.

ben-ten said:
What's the point in this inventions? Hide soldier or make him more protective (it's moot too) less dexterous, more expensive and with dangerous elements in his body (like that mini-reactor)?
Make him more protected than a normal infantry soldiers and more dexterous and less visible than a tank or IFV.

ben-ten said:
Those knight helmets are increadibly bullshit.
IIRC they have an additional optical equipment.

ben-ten said:
Still it's less dexterous. Those knight helmets are increadibly bullshit. Like said Peter Weller about Robocop suit (which pretty the same) "hardest thing was to walk down the stairs". Maybe it's sounds quite exxagerate, but that's main idea. I know, that soldier needs to be protected... But power suit is not the right way.
Except that Robocop suit was a movie prop - I doubt there it had all the electronic systems in place.

ben-ten said:
If we talk about fiction world of FO... It's all fantasy. How much power suits and ammo will need to stand agains those zerg ordes of chineese people?

An unarmoured squad with a minigun could take a hoard of unarmed people today. Hell, they could do it 100 years ago. What's your point?

And, believe me, new materials will be used not only in power suits... But also in new weapons, bullets ans so on...

And that automatically means they'll be able to penetrate the armour.. how?

What's the point in this inventions? Hide soldier or make him more protective (it's moot too) less dexterous, more expensive and with dangerous elements in his body (like that mini-reactor)?

Power armour enhances your bodies actions. So you'd be more dexterous.
And just because the word reactor sends up red flags of danger, it doesn't mean one couldn't be adequately shielded and protected within a powered suit, with the right technology.

What you fail to realise is that both those helmets come with visual enhancements to aid the soldiers.
Regardless, Van Buren went into a little detail on the helmets, and gave Perception penalties while wearing them due to the fact that yes, they are bulky and yes, they impair a little.
But so what? A guy in Power Armour does not need sniper-level accuracy. He needs something to help him survive long enough to fill the enemy full of lead.

Yes. But present-day wars resemble partisan wars. "Wall against wall" is bygone century.

When you're done wanking over weapon power and stealth wars, remember that defenses always catch up with weaponry. It's an ever evolving process. People have been boasting that front line soldiers would be obsolete ever since the era of ballistas. It still isn't true.

Sorrow said:
Make him more protected than a normal infantry soldiers and more dexterous and less visible than a tank or IFV.

OK. They achieved 2 of 3 points. Be more dexterous than a tank or IFV - strange thing. Tank have another targets and abilities.

What lacks:
-This armor very heavy, so how people wear it by themselves? Can it be weared in 10 minutes?
-That powerful armor can't resist large caliber weapons.
-Cost (i suppose, only elite, small squadrons equiped by this suits)
-Dangerous elements of suit
-Less dexterous moves.
-Complicated construction:
1) What if reactor damaged? Or damaged part of suit? You will not able to raise your hand or make step. Or it will even break your spine.
2) This suits need to be transported because of ther weight.
3) What about batteries for the suit?

(I think, much easier to equip soldiers with composite materials breastplate (like it has been done in WW II in russian guards army) and antiradioactive suit. You can equip like that a whole army...)

ben-ten said:
IIRC they have an additional optical equipment.

What the point in making such narrow visor?

Except that Robocop suit was a movie prop - I doubt there it had all the electronic systems in place.

Sorry, what is it - "prop"?

Vault 69er said:
An unarmoured squad with a minigun could take a hoard of unarmed people today. Hell, they could do it 100 years ago. What's your point?

What about 10 chinese soldiers, with simple vests, helmets, with "Kord 12,7" or another same-type machinegun... Or even sniper with new "Vyhlop"? Blam, blam, blam. Power suits are down. What the point in using them?

And, believe me, new materials will be used not only in power suits... But also in new weapons, bullets ans so on...

And that automatically means they'll be able to penetrate the armour.. how?

Penetrate those armors can present-day weapons. See upper post of Sorrow about power of large caliber weapons.

Power armour enhances your bodies actions. So you'd be more dexterous.
And just because the word reactor sends up red flags of danger, it doesn't mean one couldn't be adequately shielded and protected within a powered suit, with the right technology.

Enchanses your strenght, that you could move in this suit. And use heavy weapons like minigun.
Problem not only in reactor... Whole armor is a pack of mechanisms. Break part of them and suit will be uneffective, or even unmobile. In the game everything is way too conditionally...

But so what? A guy in Power Armour does not need sniper-level accuracy. He needs something to help him survive long enough to fill the enemy full of lead.

To survive you need 2 steel balls and brain to use tactics, masking, and help of Jesus Christ (last one is sarcasm).

When you're done wanking over weapon power and stealth wars, remember that defenses always catch up with weaponry. It's an ever evolving process. People have been boasting that front line soldiers would be obsolete ever since the era of ballistas. It still isn't true.

Look up and you'll see, that your beloved power armor is nothing but "seaman on zeebra". Even for today.

ben-ten said:
because optics break more easily than armor, i bet?

why are the windows (if any) on APCs so small?

Sorry, what is it - "prop"?
a prop is a movie 'fake' accessory. non-functional.

kinda like most guns in movies are non-functional with the exception of the real or blanc firing ones that are actually fired in the movie.

When will people learn *not to bleeding double post*. The edit button exists for a reason. So use it!

Also, ben-ten, you're making senseless assumptions at this point. You assume that armor is senseless (which it isn't, considering the fact that bulletproof vests are widely used)and that a powered armor would automatically mean less maneuvrability and too much weight (which is a silly assumption, considering the fact that such armor would be designed to counteract exactly that).

Armor has always been, and still is, useful since both armor and weaponry evolve in reaction to eachother. Armor is consistently being developed and improved - with success.

Ok, that's enough. Before we get into some holy war about how feasible or unfeasible fallouts power armor is, let's take a look at one critical reality. FALLOUT IS NOT REAL. We don't need to argue like a bunch of liberals about something that doesn't exist. I created this post merely with the intent to see what kinds of different power armors people liked, NOT to compare "facts" and get all technical about a 32 bit sprite. So, are we all gonna play nice or am I gonna have to knock your heads together?

SuAside said:
ben-ten said:
because optics break more easily than armor, i bet?

why are the windows (if any) on APCs so small?

Ok. So, if additional optics will be damaged, narrow visor will help. I think, visor needs to be more wide.

a prop is a movie 'fake' accessory. non-functional.

kinda like most guns in movies are non-functional with the exception of the real or blanc firing ones that are actually fired in the movie.

Thank you. Now i understand.

Ziltoid said:
When will people learn *not to bleeding double post*. The edit button exists for a reason. So use it!

Also, ben-ten, you're making senseless assumptions at this point. You assume that armor is senseless (which it isn't, considering the fact that bulletproof vests are widely used)and that a powered armor would automatically mean less maneuvrability and too much weight (which is a silly assumption, considering the fact that such armor would be designed to counteract exactly that).

Armor has always been, and still is, useful since both armor and weaponry evolve in reaction to eachother. Armor is consistently being developed and improved - with success.

No. I see advantages of this armor... But it's lacks override all of them. So I think, that this kind armors are almost useless in combat. But people see in me enemy ot simple idiot. So i tried to argument my words.

Sorry for double-posts.

P.S. What about new tread with this descussion?

ben-ten said:
What about 10 chinese soldiers, with simple vests, helmets, with "Kord 12,7" or another same-type machinegun... Or even sniper with new "Vyhlop"? Blam, blam, blam. Power suits are down. What the point in using them?

Because the soldier in Power Armour is going to stand right in front of them, perfectly still, and not be doing anything convenient like.. I don't know.. shooting at them.. for them to get that perfect shot off.

By the way, what's your argument? That Power Armour isn't invulnerable, therefore it's useless?
Well hey, a submarine can sink an aircraft carrier. Why use them?
A mine can take out a tank. Why use them?
A terrorist with a surface to air missile can take out a helicopter. Why use them?

Penetrate those armors can present-day weapons. See upper post of Sorrow about power of large caliber weapons.

Right, no matter what the composition, thickness and firing angle? Please.

Enchanses your strenght, that you could move in this suit. And use heavy weapons like minigun.
Problem not only in reactor... Whole armor is a pack of mechanisms. Break part of them and suit will be uneffective, or even unmobile. In the game everything is way too conditionally...

Yes. It's a machine. Therefore it has parts.
By your logic, a tank with broken treads is ineffective, so why use them ever?

To survive you need 2 steel balls and brain to use tactics, masking, and help of Jesus Christ (last one is sarcasm).

And this chest-beating mantra is relevant how?

Look up and you'll see, that your beloved power armor is nothing but "seaman on zeebra". Even for today.

What's that supposed to mean?

-This armor very heavy, so how people wear it by themselves? Can it be weared in 10 minutes?

Soldiers are equipped with it BEFORE entering combat and deployed on the frontline ready to fight. A power armor is generally a walking one-man tank.
-That powerful armor can't resist large caliber weapons.

How many soldiers on the frontline are equipped with large caliber weapons? Does the fact that a small portion of the army is equipped with large caliber sniper rifles automatically make the power armors useless?

-Cost (i suppose, only elite, small squadrons equiped by this suits)

Suppose. You know, this is the army, and a single suit of power armour out of prototype stage wouldn't be extremely costly, at least not more expensive than a top notch tank.
-Dangerous elements of suit

The greneades are dangerous. Rifles are dangerous. Heck, tanks, cars and APCs are dangerous.

-Less dexterous moves.

A power armor isn't intended for acrobatics. Nowadays military equipment neither.

-Complicated construction:
1) What if reactor damaged? Or damaged part of suit? You will not able to raise your hand or make step. Or it will even break your spine.
2) This suits need to be transported because of ther weight.
3) What about batteries for the suit?

Same concerns were raised about tanks and yet tanks are the main element of the battlefield nowadays.

No. I see advantages of this armor... But it's lacks override all of them. So I think, that this kind armors are almost useless in combat. But people see in me enemy ot simple idiot. So i tried to argument my words.

In your opinion they outweigh. In opinion of most, they do not.

That's why powered armor corps would be supported by regular soldiers, just like tanks are nowadays. You know, the Chinese would have to approach the armor to get it into firing range. And their crappy vests would pose little problem for the weapons of the PAs and supporting infantry.

He was talking about a RL future power armor concept and replying to the DarkLegacy's post in which he says being protected by 500 pounds of steel is a good idea.

Tell that to tank drivers.

Vault 69er said:
Because the soldier in Power Armour is going to stand right in front of them, perfectly still, and not be doing anything convenient like.. I don't know.. shooting at them.. for them to get that perfect shot off.

Power armor can take 2500 Joules, and weapons, i was talking about, do 16000 and more Joules... HOW guy in power armor will stand it? Impossible.

By the way, what's your argument? That Power Armour isn't invulnerable, therefore it's useless?
Well hey, a submarine can sink an aircraft carrier. Why use them?
A mine can take out a tank. Why use them?
A terrorist with a surface to air missile can take out a helicopter. Why use them?

My argument is that advantages of this armor killed by it's lacks. Heli, or submarine, or tank you will use without an alternative. But power armor isn't most effective way for infantry.

Right, no matter what the composition, thickness and firing angle? Please.

Power armor is low-armored object. It's not a tank.

Yes. It's a machine. Therefore it has parts.
By your logic, a tank with broken treads is ineffective, so why use them ever?

Tank is not a power armor.

And this chest-beating mantra is relevant how?

Luck smiles to brave ones.

What's that supposed to mean?

It's a joke about psyho attack. Seamans wear striped uniform, and zeebras also have striped skin... So power armor almost the same - cool-looking but almost useless.

Mikael Grizzly said:
Soldiers are equipped with it BEFORE entering combat and deployed on the frontline ready to fight. A power armor is generally a walking one-man tank.
One-man tank/army/so on - it's film about Rambo. Armor of power suit is uncompareble to tank's.

Suppose. You know, this is the army, and a single suit of power armour out of prototype stage wouldn't be extremely costly, at least not more expensive than a top notch tank.

Tank is not that simple to destroy. Especially new tanks as T-90C (but what machines will be over hundred years?). Power armor much easier.

A power armor isn't intended for acrobatics. Nowadays military equipment neither.

I'm not talking about acrobatics. But fast reaction and moves.

Same concerns were raised about tanks and yet tanks are the main element of the battlefield nowadays.

As i said before, tanks and power armor - different things.

That's why powered armor corps would be supported by regular soldiers, just like tanks are nowadays. You know, the Chinese would have to approach the armor to get it into firing range. And their crappy vests would pose little problem for the weapons of the PAs and supporting infantry.

It's not a problem. Fire range of sniper rifles and new machineguns up to 1000 m. Approach? Enough distance to cut them to pieces. So power armors don't make weather...

ben-ten said:
Power armor can take 2500 Joules, and weapons, i was talking about, do 16000 and more Joules... HOW guy in power armor will stand it? Impossible.

Again, they don't have to be invulnerable. What they are is more survivable.
You're also arguing specifically against the T-51b, which was designed in a world where directed energy weapons were becoming commonplace. Thus it provided more overall protection against rayguns that melt people.

So basically, you're arguing against the realism of a specific set of armour even though it is tailored against the threats of it's world. Any real Power Armour would be tailored to the threats of the real world and have different specs.

My argument is that advantages of this armor killed by it's lacks. Heli, or submarine, or tank you will use without an alternative. But power armor isn't most effective way for infantry.

You've yet to make a clear point as to why powered armour wouldn't be a viable alternative to tanks.

This doesn't change the fact that Power Armour improves it's wearer's survivability.

Tank is not a power armor.

It's an analogy.

ugh, i was going to stay out of this, but...

ben-ten said:
Ok. So, if additional optics will be damaged, narrow visor will help. I think, visor needs to be more wide.

by my logic the visor is just a backup sight. the actual HUD is in the helmet. so the visor is just an emergency measure for me, if the HUD fails.

this way isn't dead in the water, but they need to minimise the size of the vizor since it is weaker than ceramic armor.

ben-ten said:
this is a part of the 50's pulp background. of course men will have awesome powerarmor in the future that can take a beating! and stealthboys! and laser rifles! and plasma rifles!

but obviously it wouldn't be a game if you were invincible. hell, not even a war.

My argument is that advantages of this armor killed by it's lacks. Heli, or submarine, or tank you will use without an alternative. But power armor isn't most effective way for infantry.[/quote]
that is probably why all major armies around the world are working on the subject, right?

powerarmor isn't a matter of 'if', but 'when'.

ben-ten said:
low armor? it's the best ingame?

and the best manportable thing we can think of until we can somehow invent energy shielding or something like that.

ben-ten said:
So power armor almost the same - cool-looking but almost useless.
once again: that's probably why all major armies around the world are spending billions on the subject?

probably wont be for in our lifetimes though (not for a really futuristic one anyway)

SuAside said:
low armor? it's the best ingame?

and the best manportable thing we can think of until we can somehow invent energy shielding or something like that.

I assume he means when compared to an actual tank.
But like I said, he forgets that the T-51b is from an alternate world and not the best that world has to offer either; it's superseded by the Enclave's Advanced Power Armour after all.

Back