Fallout 2 mod FO2 Engine Tweaks (Sfall)

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Dude101, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Timeslip

Timeslip Water Chip? Been There, Done That
    Modder

Aug 15, 2007
    Again I ask, which version of sfall are you using?

Code:
    v1.35c
    >Fixed issues with negative hit chances wrapping around to 95%

2. Cubik2k

Cubik2k Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?
    Modder

Nov 22, 2005
    In F2wedit there are all needed options to set those EXT-FLAGS!
    The game know that the weapon is 1- or 2-handed and is small or big gun or Melee etc by setting Hold Frame and those bellowed options and the game know if it is Normal or Energy Weapon etc by setting Damage Type.

Look at those screenshots from F2wedit:

small gun 1-handed

big gun 2-handed

Energy gun 1-handed

Energy gun 2-handed (look that this is not big gun and has not checked this option as big gun!)

Josan, check your sfall version, please, as Timeslip suggests.

3. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Done.

4. Josan12

Josan12 Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 15, 2007
    Oooops. :oops: It appears i've been using 1.35b, which is pre thrown and wrap around fixes. You know i would never doubt you, don't you Timestamp .... i mean Timeslip? :wink:

I'll get the latest version and confirm my problems are solved.

@ Cubik: thanks for the screenies and explanation on the presumptions the engine makes about weapon types. I understand it much better now.

But unfortunately my problem remains. Let me explain: ever noticed how none of the melee weapons cause death animations, even if they cause non-normal damage? (such as the cattleprod which causes electrical damage)

I figured out this is set by the swing/thrust attack type that all melee weapons use. If you set a weapon to swing or thrust, it appears it will never cause death animations. So, in my quest to create a melee weapon that causes death animations, i created a weapon that uses the 'single' (shot) attack, laser damage, but has range 1, no ammo and has no projectile. It works. I have a 'melee' weapon that causes death animations (though of course, it's really just an ultra short-ranged gun) But the problem is the laser damage makes the engine think it's an energy weapon. Now, that's not the end of the world, but it's not ideal.

@ Timeslip: is this something you could remedy? It would also sort out the cattleprod, which i was always very dissapointed with as i wanted to see the Brahmin go ZAAP! and fry when i hit them with it. :)

EDIT: confirmed: the newest version of Sfall (1.37 i think) solves the thrown weapon crash problem. it seems to solve the hit-chance wrap-around problem (according to the numbers anyway) but my range 1 gun still has to-hit-chance-issues. The % displays correctly (about 20% for a lvl. 1 Narg using an energy weapon) but the attack ALWAYS hits. Even stranger, if i give the weapon range 2, it seems to hit correctly at 1 hex, but then hits 100% of the time at 2 hex's! It seems likely to me the engine screws up when giving a gun range 1. Has anyone else had this problem?

5. taag

taag Still Mildly Glowing

Aug 30, 2008
    Is it possible to add new addiction types somehow?

6. Timeslip

Modder

Aug 15, 2007
    You could script it. Something like:
    Code:
    set_fake_perk("Alcohol addiction", 1, 1, "You are addicted to alcohol");
    set_pc_extra_stat(4, get_pc_extra_stat(4) - 2);
    when you wanted to add the addiction, and then do the reverse to remove it again later.

7. taag

taag Still Mildly Glowing

Aug 30, 2008
    Thanks, but I would also like to bring up the little label where it says ADDICTED. Can I script that too?

8. Josan12

Josan12 Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 15, 2007
    @ Timeslip:

So what do you think about my two Sfall requests? (the Goris script and making melee weapons cause death animations)

9. Jordan

Jordan It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 8, 2008
    Hello Timeslip!

You can show an example for global script, which will work on the world map?

10. Helios

Helios First time out of the vault

Apr 2, 2003
    @Jordan
    It isnt very difficult :wink:

Example:

Code:
    procedure start;

procedure start begin
       if (game_loaded) then begin
          set_global_script_repeat(10);
          set_global_script_type(2);
       end
    end
    @Timeslip
    I have found usefull offsets, but you didnt release the last Version of Source Code, therefore I cant wrote it in sfall.
    I used the read_int function. A write_int function were usefull!

I found:

The Mouse on Iface is usefull because the speed time is different, also the fps a much higher on iface. I use a gl Script as timer, when the cursor is on iface I multiply the global_script_repeat. Its a dirty way, I know. But get_uptime crash always my game. I used on the same way as GetTickCount in the microsoft SDK.

Edit:

@All
    You have a second option to check where the player is btw. what the player do:
    get_game_mode, it return different flags:

11. Timeslip

Modder

Aug 15, 2007
    I should have done. I remember packing it up ready to upload... I must have forgotten to upload it. :(

I'll fix that as soon as I get home. Usually I only don't upload the source if I'm going to be making another update within a day or two; it's too much effort to pack it all up for such a short amount of time.

12. Helios

Helios First time out of the vault

Apr 2, 2003
    Nice, thank you :D
    Is it a bug or normal that the fps different, when the mouse cursor is on map or on iface?

13. Timeslip

Modder

Aug 15, 2007
    Uploaded the 1.37 source.

It's normal. The processing fallout does to handle the cursor when it's over the map seems quite slow, so as soon as you move it over the interface your fps will shoot up.

14. Alray

Alray First time out of the vault

May 10, 2007
    Hi, Timeslip. I don't know, maybe you already found this, but...

Now I can add new buttons to the game interface (such as pip-boy button, active-hand switch buttons, map button - on the main interface (IFACE.FRM)) and much more. Take a look:

Download "ppa_0_001_eng.rar" form:
    http://outlive.alfamoon.com/ppa_0_001.html

1) Install original Fallout 2 ver.1.02d
    2) Unpack patch000.dat to data folder
    2) Unpack all files from rar (folder - data) to "data"-game folder and sfall as usual.

I made this for my mod, and text on button in russian, but this is not a problem :) Just one caption :) This button now call Mr.Fixit.

Do you need this? Source code?

P.S. As usual - sorry for BAD english :) I hope you forgive me :)

15. Mr.Wolna

Mr.Wolna Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 15, 2007
  16. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    You are kidding me? Do you see this screenshot? We (Helios and me) made a button for fixit two months ago and besides the few screens here on NMA and moddb.com we only talked with TeamX about this and sended them prototype scripts.

/Edit: Wolna, wtf? Do you have any evidence that Helios stuff was used for this? Have you seen the scripts? Something else like this? Do you know more than me about this?

17. Alray

May 10, 2007
    It's a joke? First of all - here my nick is Alray. On TeamX forum - Ray. Timeslip, do you know me??? Do you belive Mr.Wolna?

Go to teamx.ru and look what I alrady done with fallout engine. I can explain every line of code! Every register and functions.

I can give just one link:

http://teamx.ru/smf/index.php?topic=40.0

There Mr.Wolna find "source code" of fallout. They decompile it with decompiler :D Yeah, source. Send to Timeslip code with comments and I'll do this. And then go to bann!!! :D

18. Alray

May 10, 2007
    Scripts? Are you kidding? This is code for sfall. Not scripts!

By the way, i'm not TX member.

19. Mr.Wolna

Mr.Wolna Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 15, 2007
    FIRST OF ALL!!!!

@Ray, iswenji menja paschalustja ja slischkam bistraj na4jal sudjit! Mne nada bilo sna4jala pasmatret na sorce a patom buschuwat i panekawat, ja nadejus ti durakju mne iswenisch, moj post ja editiruwal!

@All the others, i am very sorry it was my fault ITS RAYS WORK and by the way very nice! I was to fast with my post and i am very sorry for that!

@Ray again , i know you from the russian board and i am very sorry cause you was one of the guys i liked! Meaby you know me , from team x or fallout.ru , too.

So sorry for that, i wast jsut oissed on cause i do not understand some of our member! I thouth some one was in our Chanel and use the Files for public.. BUT THAT IS NOT SO!!!

SO i was not right, its all Work from RAY!

20. Alray

May 10, 2007
    I can add ANY button, to all places. Main menu, pip-boy, worldmap, character screen. Not JUST to game screen. I work with engine, this is addon to sfall.

EDITED. DELETED some rude text :D