Game Informer The Pitt interview

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    A) Van Buren wasn't from the true creators of Fallout.

B) You may be ecstatic to be "forging through bad game play", by telling yourself "hey at least they ripped off Fallout", but I simply can't be dishonest to myself in that way. That's just ignoring reality.

2. 100LBSofDogmeat

100LBSofDogmeat It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 11, 2008
    No... no they don't. They like many American companies in the entertainment business have no original thought or ideas, they just lift from anyone else... either older work or foreign work. It is truly disgusting.

3. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    What I find more disgusting is the certain degree of ignorance amongst 'new' gamers who tolerate and applaud this copycat behavior.

Heck often they say its even better than the original, apparently having the idea that this was what it was suppose to be in the first place.

4. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    Well, they do own all of Van Buren stuff too.

5. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    Yeah, but do they really have so little creativity in their team that they can't come up with their own ideas? It's not like anyone had ever heard of this van buren stuff before; most of it was newly created ideas.

Think about it. What ideas did they contribute to the Fallout world? Teddy Bear launchers and a concrete saw that would never work properly because of its "COOL" design?

6. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Duh. If they could come up with their own ideas they would've never needed to buy a dead IP.

7. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    I can't say that Fallout was a 'dead' IP, more of 'hibernating' one.

Unfortunate it got picked up by the wrong kind of developers.

8. Ausir

Apr 20, 2003
    Maybe the trogs won't be hostile if you wear a trog mask?

9. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    The Michael Bay's of the gaming world.

The writing might be marginally better than the rest of fallout 3 as they don't have the write so much dialogue this time.
    Like how OA was better than the other combat sections of the game, which isn't saying much but is something.

I reckon the trogs will be a new creature, if it's the only one they are doing then it's possible.
    Though doubt new animations as the Auto Axe doesen't seem to use any.

10. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    Good point.

11. Ranne

Ranne Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 15, 2008
    "Write what you know", all writing courses teach. You wanted them to become better writers? Well, now you have it. After all, when it comes to dealing with depraved creatures that were once human, is there a more qualified expert on the subject than Howard's own employees? Exactly. Now, give the guys a break...

Oh, as for the clever "invention" of AutoAxe, it looks like somebody has been peeking at Gears of War 2 sales numbers. Tsk tsk.

12. bhlaab

bhlaab Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Oct 30, 2008
    There's a lot of stuff in Fallout 3 that was picked from the corpse of van buren.

13. TychoXI

TychoXI Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 20, 2008
    hehe! Are you trying to imply that they are still aiming for FPS action when they have admitted how FO3 sucks as one? Its still funny how they came with such a lame name for o-me-gawd-so-kewl-a-weaponz. "Autoaxe"? FTW!

14. Ixyroth

Ixyroth Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 18, 2008
    If Beth think that they can compete with real shooters, they're sadly mistaken. They need to stick with what they do best, which seems to be sandbox gameplay. Too bad they don't have anything else of interest to put in the sandbox.

15. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    :roll:

right. where have i heard that line before?

16. Ranne

Ranne Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 15, 2008
    Holy crap, I didn't even notice that one. The moral ambiguity of what? Antiviral therapy? Slaveholding? As far as absurd talking points go, this one seems cretinous beyond compare.

17. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    It's kind of hard to be morally ambiguous with Fallout 3's broken karma system, and I doubt they dumped that.

18. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    i'm not sure which is worse. that Bethie think they have it in 'em to actually write well enough to pose something in a morally ambiguous way or that for the life of 'em, they just can't.

19. Ausir

Apr 20, 2003
  20. Syraxith

Syraxith First time out of the vault

Oct 17, 2008
    Since they're starting to reuse material from Van Buren in the DLC, I wonder if we'll see references to Caesar's Legion in Broken Steel.