Garn Creations: A Soldiers Last Post

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Special effects artist Patrik Garn crafted an excellent piece of a game related art exhibition at the Museum of Technology in Stockholm, a soldier's grave as it might have been exhibited in the Fallout universe. View the WIP here and the final piece here.<blockquote>This was a project for a game related art exhibition at the Museum of Technology in Stockholm. The idea was to make a soldier’s grave as it might have been exhibited in a museum in the Fallout RPG-universe. For this project I gave a HELMET I made last year some well needed updates on the design and a paint job. A problem emerged when the process came to the base. It’s called a Swedish winter, or -25 degrees celcius (-13F). The grund was frozen and some decimeters of ice and snow was hiding all the goodies, such asasphalt and dirt, that would have been used as surface materials. The only thing left to do was to make it out of alternative materials such as styrofoam sawdust, crumbled rubber, gravel etc. The rifle was an easier procedure as it was made out of some scrap pieces of MDF board and a PVC pipe</blockquote>

Why would BoS leave a solid high-tech rifle behind? Or a fine-looking helmet.
They worship technology, they don't leave it for the dead.
And how do you exactly bury a person under asphalt without use of some heavy machinery? And why do you bury him among the pipes which seemingly have toxic waste in them?

It's nicely done, but honestly, looks stupid to me.

It's a nice exhibition piece! It might be worth pointing out that the Museum of Technology in Stockholm have had a lot of focus on teaching kids programming and various game exhibitions recently. Currently they are doing "Game On 2.0", the world's largest computer game exhibition.

What Atomkilla and .Pixote. say.

:roll:

Not to quibble, but he clearly says it's supposed to be indicative of a museum piece from the Fallout world, so it's a facsimile of a facsimile, an artist's conception of an imaginary artist's conception of a fallen warrior's memorial. Even disregarding that, sniper rifles and power armor existed long before the BoS came along, and this could quite easily be a pre- (or post-) war battlefield grave. We can be fairly certain the power armor wouldn't have been in operable condition if someone had been killed in it. As to the rifle, maybe it was wrecked? Maybe whoever dug the grave wasn't in any shape to lug any extra gear that heavy after surviving the firefight in uncertain territory?

At any rate, I think it's a great-looking piece, made all the more poignant by the fact that the poor (possibly hypothetical) sod had to make his last stand with such inferior equipment. Here's hoping you're wearing a shiny new suit of T51-b and fragging angels with a turbo-plas in heaven, little buddy.

Last edited:
OMG! I am schocked about you people. Thats so much wasted material right here, as no wastelander with some self-respect would leave a weapon AND power armor helmet just like that! JUST. LIKE. THAT! :V

No. Seriously. Looks pretty neat and the idea is pretty cool.

*Edit I missed Atomkillers post, my faith in this community has been restored!

Skillfully done! The only problem with these artistic creations that they are only one. Not a computer game model that can be sold infinitely. So he must set the price high enough to cover investment in energy & materials + his awesome skill.

Well, I'm getting a glorious 404, as for the naysayers, from what I gather, it's a museum piece, so we can always assume it's from early on during the Invasion of Alaska. :wink:

That thing you posted Akratus is way cooler.
The power helmet and rifle they look... Fake :cool: More like a toy, collectable miniature, than a museum replica (I have to admit, though, that probably most museums in the world have shitty replicas with some amazing examples). This is just some 3D concept art sculpt piece. Instead, check out Anselm Kiefer's apocalyptic stuff. On top of everything his stuff is monumental as shit!

anselm%u00252Bkiefer%u00252Bcinema03_8.jpg

When that guy wants something to look like a museum piece from a lost civilization, he goes all the way.

While many have doubts about the "realism" of leaving behind such equipment (which I agree is true) the skill to make something like this is incredible.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Back