General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by The Commissar, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    ^ Yup, standard length shooter.

I disliked Warhead cause it was less open-ended and more linear. Of course so is 2.

2. Ninjerk

Ninjerk First time out of the vault

Nov 8, 2008
    Well, I do really enjoy the way the NPCs are written, but I've always hated Bioware's tendency to overwrite dialogue for the player. I almost always want to either say less or say different than the options presented to me, whereas there's a handful of games that present dialogue options that are exactly what I want to say or what I should want to say but didn't know it (Lynette dialogue from FO2 anyone?).

3. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    We talking Blacksight 51 levels of dumb alien gamage here? Actually been meaning to give that game a whirl just for the hell of it.

4. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Not that much AlphaDrop, they had the taste to keep the aliens mysterious and dangerous rather than just token stuff from outer space. Yeah, Prophet gets annoying towards the end (and gets either better or worse in the sequel, depending on your view), especially for that one mission with him where his AI can go haywire.

But the first game is a very good shooter, and I think you do yourself a disservice not playing it because of the story. Wait until the sequel's price drops, or just play Warhead, it has more similarity with the sequel in mission design.

5. LinkPain

LinkPain Mildly Dipped

Jan 18, 2011
    Took last implant for cloak in Crysis2 and made the game considerably more easy...i don't need to turn the cloak at all anymore. Not even while running.

6. Hoxie

Hoxie King Queer oTO Orderite

May 19, 2008
    Me and Vault Dweller tried a game of League of Legends together and did quite well. Pretty fun stuff, hopefully another NMA'er or Orderite will try it with us some time. :D

7. PowahAwemah

PowahAwemah First time out of the vault

Jun 5, 2010
    I'd love to play a game with you! We shall schedule the playing times sometime tomorrow.

8. Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jul 9, 2004
    Got around to playing Arrival, and I'm left confused. What the fuck Bioware?

I expected something well written and awesome like LotSB. Instead I got a corridor shooter that has you going solo with zero meaningful choices and the worst writing I've ever seen in the series.

9. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Currently playing buy a new PSU. After a week of it being a bit shakey when it started up it's finally crapped out.
    Shame really as I had just got back into playing DoW II Retribution yesterday and had finally completed the IG campaign.
    Final Boss was a bit easy, all it took was one pissed off Lord Commissar + power fist and a Baneblade tank. Rest of my army just hung round the back shooting any reinforcements and repairing/healing.

10. LinkPain

LinkPain Mildly Dipped

Jan 18, 2011
    LinkPain username, so friend me when you want.

Why does Crysis2 multiplayer suck? They don't uncloak.
    Whereas in Crysis1 energy is conserved way more and gives more tactical options.
    So what did they want to make? Another CoD awesome multiplayer? Failure...

11. GreyViper

GreyViper Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jul 2, 2004
    I know what you mean. They have worst DLCs, hell compared to most of them F3 and F:NV are actually decent. Not sure who came up with Ostagar, Pinncle Station and Friewalker, but It feels like they dont have talent for DLCs. Yet sometimes they do manage, but dont learn anything from it.

As for Crysis 2 I like the plot and weapons better. Crysis 1 took its time to get rolling and to be honest wasnt that interesting. Best thing it had was big open maps. Not sure why but I liked FarCry over Crysis, maybe it was the map design.

12. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    The Dragon Age DLCs were handled, more or less, by a skeleton crew of only a few people, minus the voice actors and QA stuff. Of course, it shows in how short, linear and generally underwhelming they were, but yeah, it's not really "BioWare" so much as "some guys we dedicated to churning out add-ons every few months."

Mass Effect's Pinnacle Station was wretched (I can't believe I spent money on a fucking botmatch pack), but I'm pretty sure it was outsourced to another developer, not handled internally by BioWare, which explains how utterly horrible and devoid of value it was. Bring Down the Sky was done internally by the original team, I think, which is why it turned out significantly better. Firewalker, Lair of the Shadow Broker etc. for Mass Effect 2 were done by the original Mass Effect 2 team, which is why they're generally better (I don't get the complaints against Firewalker, I enjoyed it). However, once again, Arrival was done by a secondary BioWare studio (I think possibly the one who did that iPhone game?) and so once again turned out pretty crappy.

Bethesda, meanwhile, had their full teams more or less dedicated to making DLC, which is why Fallout 3 actually had some pretty worthwhile add-ons in the form of Broken Steel and Point Lookout. I'm not sure how things will go for Obsidian with New Vegas' DLC, but again, it seems like they have significantly more people working on theirs.

13. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    Good that someone mentioned it, I need help.
    I've downloaded, installed and updated that thing, created an account, and when I want to start the game (log in), it takes a while, and then Windows alerts me that the site I'm trying to log in is running on old certificate, or something. Can't really understands what my fucking computer says. When I click "Yes", it keeps on loading until it says "Server not found", or "Incorrect password or username". I'm pretty sure I typed in the right password.
    Help?

14. Hoxie

Hoxie King Queer oTO Orderite

May 19, 2008
    Not sure really, I haven't had any problems with it.

15. GreyViper

GreyViper Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jul 2, 2004
    Thank you for explaining that. I wasn't aware how much resources each company put in DLC production.

Since im done with ME2 and Crysis 2 is almost over, next up will be Blood Bowl Legendary Edition .

16. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    Heh, fixed it, but servers are now unavailable, they're doing the maintenance. :wall:

17. thegaresexperience

thegaresexperience Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Sep 3, 2010
    I've been playing the story mode for COD 4. Still holds up IMO, the sniper mission is still fucking intense (especially waiting for the batalion to pass right next to you).

I'll probably replay COD:MOD2 next, another good but overdone story.

18. Guiltyofbeingtrite

Guiltyofbeingtrite Vault Dweller

Oct 13, 2008
    I think the story in Mod 2 had some potential but was put together horribly and had major gaps that required way too much piecing together from the player.

I found COD4's story fine and the missions, especially on veteran, to be a ton of fun.

19. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Picked up BioShock 2 during the recent Steam sale and am making my way through it. So far, I've enjoyed it, but I went in with low expectations. Below are my thoughts after playing about 4 hours in. Based on the number of abilities, weapons etc. I've unlocked, I'd say that's about 25%, which means BioShock 2 is at least looking to be a decently lengthy experience.

The biggest flaw in the game so far, at least for me, is that the characters and world come across as far less subtle in their designs. BioShock wasn't exactly subtle, sure, but at least characters like Ryan and Cohen had a degree of depth and development over the course of the game - people with strong ideals who are consumed by them and made to question whether it was their ideas at fault, or themselves. That depth got you interested in them, and made you want to hear that next audio diary just to hear the next part of their stories. In BioShock 2, though, this is all eliminated: the characters are damn near one-dimensional, even Ryan, who is largely reduced to a dictator-type figure. Sophia Lamb, his "replacement", is no more interesting than even this caricature of Ryan, less a character and more a cardboard cut-out comprised of a checklist of polar opposites to Ryan. There's no internal monologue or discourse that draws me onwards through the game, only the traits that are established the moment you first discover her.

I also have to say that the story itself is a veritable train wreck. I've observed a number of major glaring errors with the original game's (somewhat vague) continuity, and they pile on the references to the first one thick, in hopes that they can retcon the events of BioShock 2 back into the first game's fiction. There's very little driving you through the story, either, and the game almost relies on your pre-existing knowledge of the first game, rather than provide any real motivation. Suffice is to say, it comes across as clumsy and forced, just like the characters. It's understandable - different writers, different designers, different team that was more or less given the green light on a cash cow. It's not the same people, and you're bound to run into differences when you task an entirely different development team with making a direct sequel to a game with very distinct qualities. Still, for a game that was entirely about its world, BioShock 2 feels like a step backwards in that regard.

However, outside of the story and characters, BioShock 2 is a pretty big improvement over the original. The level design, once the game takes the training wheels off, is a big improvement over the first game's, with environments that feel a bit more logically laid out and more like plausible spaces, but also with more side-passages. It's still corridors, but at least you have more options in reaching objectives, and the design of things is less "gamey" and purpose-built than the original. Unfortunately, there seem to be fewer "unique" locations, and more prefab buildings and hallways that comprised the latter sections of the first game. It's not awful, but the original game definitely offered more variety.

The improvements to weapons and plasmids are very welcome, with weapons feeling more distinctive from one another, and different ammo types being more important. Playing on hard, I'm starting to find ammo, health and money all fairly scarce, much more so than the first game, meaning that I have to really scrounge and consider risk versus reward in combat encounters. No more randomly taking on Big Daddies just for the hell of it! Dual-wielding weapons and plasmids makes combat faster and more fun, but you have to manage your resources carefully lest you run out of ammo or mana in the middle of a firefight. Considering the combat was kind of weak in the first game, any improvement is welcome.

My only real complaint gameplay-wise is that BioShock 2 has kind of dispensed all pretense of being anything other than a shooter. As a shooter, it's certainly an improvement over the first, but despite the beautiful art direction and excellent audio, the atmosphere, isolation and quiet that made for the best parts of the first game seem to have been largely dropped in favour of more combat. I would prefer more poignant scenes to stumble across, more creepy moments (the mannequins in Fort Frolic), and generally just more downtime for exploration and absorbing the world. It's a bit annoying when you're trying to listen to an audio log or a radio announcement in the background, only to get mobbed by some enemies halfway through. I've also noticed fewer scripted sequences, but again, that might just be because I missed them while under fire.

That said, there are some really cool, shocking, and creepy bits even a few hours into the game. The first time I was attacked by a Big Sister after harvesting too much Adam, for instance, took me completely by surprise (I have all tutorials and popups disabled), making me scramble frantically all over the level for health and ammo. The splicers worshiping monuments to Sophia Lamb definitely filled the "disturbing" quota for me, as did a few of the audio logs so far.

Jeez, I guess this turned into a mini-review. The funny thing is that I didn't even like the first BioShock that much, and I don't love the sequel either, but I'm finding more things to like about it the more I think of it as merely an atmospheric shooter as less as a follow-up to System Shock 2. It is undoubtedly more inconsistent, less intelligent and even soulless compared to the first, but it has some high points that I think make it worth playing if you don't mind more of the same.

20. LinkPain

LinkPain Mildly Dipped

Jan 18, 2011
    ^
    Did you read Atlas Shrugged too?

Finished Crysis 2 and by the gods i will never play or think about this piece of crap again. Transition is even worse than DA2 storywise, because they killed all NPCs from Crysis1 and they have the balls to tell you in the face while you play a complete mute masochist.