General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Playing Morrowind GOTY edition. Kind of a coincidence eh?

So far... a very good game. Yes, that's exactly what I said and I don't care what any of you say about it. It could be because I played Oblivion first but it's so much better than I expected. In fact, now I know why so many people are pissed off about Oblivion (which I thought wasn't too bad either).

If you absolutely hated Oblivion, you won't like Morrowind. It's not an amazing game, it's just a lot better. If you disliked Oblivion but thought it had potential, then play Morrowind. You get way better quests. They are more varied and quite a few even have multiple solutions. You get tons of factions to join, some of which conflict with each other, so you can't join them all in one playthrough. You get to do a lot of questionable things for different guilds or members of the guilds. The world doesn't level up with your character so leveling up isn't pointless and there is a great loot variety. The world is unique, not a simple medieval setting of Oblivion. The NPC's are way more interesting. I could go on and on.

Some people don't like the combat or the graphics but I quite like them. Puts up his flame repellent.

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance & Sims 2.

The Sup Com follow-up is awesome.
Streamlined interface, more units and right from the start you get access to the full tech tree.
I swear they've also added more low-end to the sound effects too, as everything sounds a lot chunkier.
It's also not short by the looks of things, with the first level alone taking me an evening to complete satisfactorily.
Still undecided which game has the better artillery, this series or the original Ground Control, but I think SupCom may be taking the lead...

And Sims 2 is still awesome.
I created a nutter loner type character who I rarely play, but run into a lot at outings, and he's working perfectly, picking fights with anything that moves and constantly arguing with his cup-onna-stick friend.
His name is Beelzebub :D

maximaz said:
Playing Morrowind GOTY edition. Kind of a coincidence eh?

So far... a very good game. Yes, that's exactly what I said and I don't care what any of you say about it. It could be because I played Oblivion first but it's so much better than I expected. In fact, now I know why so many people are pissed off about Oblivion (which I thought wasn't too bad either).

If you absolutely hated Oblivion, you won't like Morrowind. It's not an amazing game, it's just a lot better. If you disliked Oblivion but thought it had potential, then play Morrowind. You get way better quests. They are more varied and quite a few even have multiple solutions. You get tons of factions to join, some of which conflict with each other, so you can't join them all in one playthrough. You get to do a lot of questionable things for different guilds or members of the guilds. The world doesn't level up with your character so leveling up isn't pointless and there is a great loot variety. The world is unique, not a simple medieval setting of Oblivion. The NPC's are way more interesting. I could go on and on.

Some people don't like the combat or the graphics but I quite like them. Puts up his flame repellent.

I honestly loved the game, I played it first.
While there were many manty flaws to the game, overall I thought it was better.

If they ever make another elder scrolls game, I hope they really take the best of both games and merge it into one. Morrowind was a pretty ugly game, visually, and had some serious balance issues, alot of useless skills, a poor balance of levelling, your character was simply too powerful in the end, lots of game options felt like they were tossed in last minute (such as the ability to enchant items with constant effect), and while the story was pretty good it seriously lacked good storytelling (with the exception of the expansions, they did a pretty good job of delivering the story, especially the northern frost island place that I don't remember the name of. Certain parts of the game were brilliant, such as being able to kill ANY npc in the game, and even if you kill main quest characters, you can still complete the game, and even after completing it you still get to wander around. Also, those fucking bird things are the most annoying shit ever to live. Lots of spells were useless as well, and magic never got as strong as physical combat. The game really had a beautiful mythology and setting though. How far are you?

If they ever make another elder scrolls game, I hope they really take the best of both games and merge it into one.
It is more likely that they take the CRAP out of both games and make it the most shitty ES/RPG ever ! :D

Finished with Bookworm Adventures for now.. because i finally got my hands on Splinter Cell (the first one), baby!

Splinter Cell was always the kind of a game which i heard lots of good things about, wanted to play it, but never really got around to actually do it. So far i'm in the third mission and i have a continuous hard-on.

I used to love Dark Reign ten years ago...I even used to think that it was better than Starcraft, Red Alert and Totan Annihilation.

I used to love Dark Reign ten years ago...I even used to think that it was better than Starcraft, Red Alert and Totan Annihilation.

I have a thing for old games. I played this one a long time ago on my x486 computer. Now it was all moving so fast that my army was dead before i knew what i was attacking. And i didn't remember what unit did what, so i kinda build a whole bunch of units and send them to the slaughter. Got bored really quickly.

I am still playing Fallout 2, but i'm thinking of playing Anachronox. I've installed it on my PC but never got around to play it.

Just started playing The Witcher .I am liking it except the fact that the dialogues give me headaches sometimes !
If i could understand polish i would have played the original polish version .it seems that the translation is not very good.
What is it to take out of Oblivion anyway besides the comedy value ? ...

Nothing actually,but you can make everything worst then it was once and bethesda never fails in doing such things.

Just to stay on topic, I'm also sort of replaying Mass Effect as an evil dude. It's pretty funny, as I mentioned in another thread.

Morrowind

How far are you?

I have no idea. It looks like there is so much stuff to do. I've only explored the southern part of the map but I've done a lot of quests for all three guilds and house Hlaalu. Now I'm asked to destroy one of the guilds and I can't decide whether I want to. Also, I'm being harassed by this sponsor prick in Hlaalu whose ass I really want to kick but I can't switch houses at this point. You know who I'm talking about. I wish I joined Redoran at this point.

I'm not far enough yet to notice any of the flaws you mentioned except for the very annoying Cliff Racers (bird things). I think they toned them down for GOTY because I killed them easily even early in the game but they're still annoying. I'd add the whole economy of the world as a flaw. It makes no damn sense that quite a bunch of stuff is worth around 15k while nobody carries more than 4k.

Overall, I'm really liking the game though. I expected it to be Oblivion with worse visuals, which would be ok but it truly surprised me. If I played it first, I'd be PISSED about Oblivion. The game could have a great sequel but it turned out a lot worse than MW. I have no idea how they could change so much for the worse. WTF were they thinking?

Vault 13 said:
Just started playing The Witcher .I am liking it except the fact that the dialogues give me headaches sometimes !
If i could understand polish i would have played the original polish version .it seems that the translation is not very good.
[shameless self-promotion]

You could download my fix here!

[/shameless self-promotion]

HoKa said:
Vault 13 said:
[shameless self-promotion]

You could download my fix here!

[/shameless self-promotion]

So, I've decided to make your lives easier! I found a way to get both the uncut dialogues AND english journal entries. You'll also get rid of the '[dev]' tags before each dialogue. All of this in a neat, easy-to-install package!

I do have english Journal entries ,and i don't understand what you mean by uncut dialogues !

Blakut said:
Just tried Dark Reign for a second time in a looong time. Annoying.
Dark Reign 1 is still a classic.

i dont see why you're saying it's annoying because it really hasn't aged that terribly. the expansion however does kinda suck (as does the sequel).

not to mention that the voices used are still the most awesome ones used in a strategy game EVER. i so need to get them all on .mp3...

Ew. BF2142 is probably my least favorite game ever. I prefer the copy of Mahjong that comes with Windows to BF.

There's something about science-fiction, walkers and Battlefield I find compelling.

Besides, it's one of the few games in which USA doesn't appear and Europe demonstrates it's true power. ;)

Back