General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Gave Spacebase DF-9 another go after having forgotten that I had it (bought it in early beta, didn't notice the "release").

Kinda fun, but I'm not sure why so many of my citizens are unhappy. They have pretty much everything they could get (pub, fitness, good medical care, etc) and no one has to do a job they hate. Only thing I haven't done yet is the assigning of specific bunks to a certain person.

You also didn't really answer my question, other than saying there's other games. Besides, why should I stop playing games I know I love to try out games I have no clue about? That's just a silly suggestion. =P

I didn't because Walpknut did:

"It's a game that is similar to the classic Rogue, the staples of the genre are Permadeath, randomly generated dungeons and being butt fuckingly hard."

Not every RL is the same, but those things they usually have in common.
That's not really enough, for the very reasons I initially gave when I asked the question. I said it would be like me describing Dota2 or games of similar genre to someone completely unfamiliar to any sort of RTS, and simply using "x-clone" to say what it is. That's why other descriptors were created, because saying a game is like another game still doesn't help if you're unfamiliar with all other examples. For how funny it reads, ASSFAGGOTS *is* the actual acronym for Dota and "Dota-likes", and for obvious reasons it was never officially adopted, but it's pretty precise about what the game is: Aeon of Strife-Styled Fortress Assault Game Going On Two Sides. Also it's pretty long for an acronym... XD

Apropo, I'm still the guy being told "it's a Dota-clone" without any clue what that means.

Fair enough. Here is a description from wikipedia:

"Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video games, characterized by procedural level generation, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, permanent death, and typically based on a high fantasy narrative setting. Roguelikes descend from the 1980 game Rogue, particularly mirroring Rogue's character- or sprite-based graphics, turn-based gameplay that gives the player the time to plan each move, permanent death and randomization.

In more recent years, new variations of roguelikes incorporating other gameplay genres, thematic elements and graphical styles have become popular, and are sometimes called "roguelike-like", "rogue-lite" or "procedural death labyrinths" to reflect the variation from titles which mimic the gameplay of traditional roguelikes more faithfully."

Note: Not all roguelike games feature turn-based gameplay, which may be the reason roguelite has been used to describe some games in this genre. I don't like quoting wiki sources since I assume that if someone is curious they would go to that source to find that info, but in this case I find it appropriate. I think this sub-genre will continue to morph and be adopted by other genres.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Just went trough singularity and i did love the game.. Besides the console parts. Check points? Check! Doors closing behind you? Check! Can't jump over the railing for some console reason? Check!

And for those who never heard of the game see it as a mix of dead space max payne and bioshock.

Edit: Going to try dreadout as fast as i find a guy to trade with. I won't add more funds to steam for a while :P

Last edited:
[Snipity Snoop]
Hmmm, so it sounds like, for instance, the Hardcore Mode found in Diablo II was a contemporary late-90s equivalent of Rogue-likes, if I'm understanding that, correctly?

In a way, yes. Diablo was something of a spiritual successor to the Rogue-likes to begin with, with the basic RPG mechanics and random dungeons. Diablo 1 was actually planned as a turn-based game in the beginning.
But I guess Diablo spawned its own kind of clone-genre back then :D

MURICA 2050 / REMOTE Kickstarter project

Hey guys, thank you for taking a moment to check this thread. This is a new revolutionary Kickstarter project! A game where you remotely control miniature vehicles equipped with cameras and weapons on a real life battlefield.

37n.jpg14n.jpg
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/352548363/murica-2050-remote

While waiting for Pillars of Eternity I'm currently playing Ori and The Blind Forest. I'm not much for platformers these days, but the art style and storytelling drew me in. It's fun, but gets pretty hard pretty early. Or I just suck at platforming. The atmosphere is pretty great though.

Man, Dragon Ball Xenoverse, if I would be to watch it objectively, it would fucking blow, the gameplay is pretty crappy and unpolished that it makes the obvious grind walls all the more frustrating, it's obviously full of obligatory Grinding even for Main story missions and the presentation feels like a fan game someone cobbled up together with the ripped up assets of the Dragon Ball MMO....

But I have a redhead female saiyan flying around in a cape and hooker boots, I give it a 10/10.

Man, Dragon Ball Xenoverse, if I would be to watch it objectively[...]
But I have a redhead female saiyan flying around in a cape and hooker boots, I give it a 10/10.
But that IS being objective!

Just.... a very different KIND of objective. ^_<

Anyone know which is the best Half-Life HD pack? I'm looking at a few right now...

I'm trying it out.

Edit: Doesn't work with non-Steam copies. Booo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should really get my Battlezone discs out.. Sadly i have a feeling the game won't be as awesome as i remebered it to be :/
@Makta You don't need discs anymore, the game is considered abandonware and one of the devs with the source code helped remaster the game for modern systems (modern resolutions etc.) and release it on the internet as a free download

http://www.battlezone1.com/downloads/index.htm

You can get both the original and the Red Odyssey, although they don't have the source code to Red Odyssey so it's not exactly optimized, although it's still playable

And even after all these years, it's still awesome:grin:

What was Battlezone now? I must've missed that train.

Every once in a while I get the urge to track down some abandonwares of games I played LONG ago. I downloaded Got of Thunder some time back, but I never got around to installing DOXbox to even PLAY it, so it just sat on my desktop until my computer crash of 2012... ~_~ But that's DEFINITELY a title I'd love to finally finish, sometime eventually. The shareware GOT was one of my all-time favorite time-sinks back in 1992. Great fucking game! =D

What was Battlezone now? I must've missed that train.

In a nutshell, @SnapSlav, Battlezone (not to be confused with the classic Atari arcade game) is a FPS/RTS hybird title that came out in 1998, and even after all these years it still has a cult following by a small group of dedicated fans. The plot of the game is that there's this material called biometal that allows scientists to construct really cool spaceships capable of levitating, taking a lot of damage, traveling fast and far distances etc. This game takes place during the height of the Cold War, and both the US and Soviet Union have access to biometal, although they are waging a war throughout the planets and moons of the Solar System over who has control of the metal. The missions are diverse, but they generally consist of a building up your base, gathering resources, attacking enemy units etc., although the unique thing about it is that the entire game is played from a first person perspective, so it's very immersive. Here's some gameplay

There's also an expansion called The Red Odyssey, which takes place on Ganymede and is centered around the U.S. vs China. It's not as professionally made as the base game (because it was made by a third party studio) although it's certainly more challenging and memorable, and its got a killer soundtrack

Last edited by a moderator:
^battlezone1 was awesome idk about 2 though

i am playing black and white 2.its fun and similar to the previous game.i think the only major difference is that you can take over towns by force which is fun.

also im surprised my low spec craptop can handle s.t.a.l.k.e.r. SOC .it runs really smooth.:grin: and holy shit guys what a gem.wow.its AWESOME and im playing vanilla except for a gore mod i added.

Back