General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Well, I would be playing my usual yearly round of Fallout 1, but the game decided to crash as often as fucking Fallout 3.
And since it specifically CTDs everytime Cabbott is supposed to open the BoS elevator for me I'm not really in the mood to play it any further.

Last edited:
I should really get my Battlezone discs out.. Sadly i have a feeling the game won't be as awesome as i remebered it to be :/
@Makta You don't need discs anymore, the game is considered abandonware and one of the devs with the source code helped remaster the game for modern systems (modern resolutions etc.) and release it on the internet as a free download

http://www.battlezone1.com/downloads/index.htm

You can get both the original and the Red Odyssey, although they don't have the source code to Red Odyssey so it's not exactly optimized, although it's still playable

And even after all these years, it's still awesome:grin:

Remeber playing it back in the days when i loved the soviet union/Russia.. Not counting the stupid politics part since i did not care for politics back then. Obviousy i used their stuff 90% of the game hehe.

Playing some stalker COP right now and it feels like it got a lot more bugs compared to when i played it the last time... Using the same mods and everything :| Soon done tho so maybe i should try to remod it with somehting new when i'm done.

I wanted to try "Cities: Skylines", but allready it pushed my computer too far for my comfort. Damnit, and it looked SO amazing!

I settled instead for Tropico 5, having only played the original first in the past, and missing it greatly. The old version had a habit of constantly crashing to windows on newer systems, and I avoided the latest sequels out of an old fashioned bias against sequels. But I read some uplifting comments about Tropico 5 being "stagnated", not introducing much new elements, which, hey, is perfect. You want new stuff? Buy new games. This reminds me of my friend who wants Fallout to become exactly like GTA, dude, go buy GTA instead...

Tropico 5 was quite entertaining! The whole rebels attack deal was a bit bothersome to begin with, but eventually served to lend a bit of dictatorial realism to the scenario (it is also super-cool to zoom all way in to, on ground level. For such a simple mechanism, I had lots of fun zooming far down to my troops guarding the palace, while civilians came rushing down the streets, as a sign that the rebels were now right around the corner. Awesome detail!). I've mostly been playing sand-box mode, where I still consider myself in training with all the micromanagement and such.
I tried to play "evil" in one save, not even all out. When rebellion struck, I got a portion of my military changing sides to rebels, and I thought "oops" but then my remaining forces won, and I thought "heh, up yours rebels!" and I continued my irresponsible ways. The next rebellion - all of my troops converted to rebels o_o
Which essentially is one, slow, long-lasting game over, not even worth watching unfold. I now realize that in order to be successfully evil, you must please your military faction. Now all I have to do is figure out how the hell to do that, without waiting in vain for them to approach me with tasks :I

But, very fun game, nice graphics, and absolutely delightful music to listen to, while sending the army after peaceful protesters.

Oh, and so many people wondering how to get rid of the shacks that AI puts up when they lack proper housing. <---hint right there, on how to get rid of shacks.
I know that people are struggling with this conundrum, since I Googled around to find out how the game *places* the shacks (it seems most obvious shacks form near the work-place of the shack-occupant, but a few shacks have gathered in the middle of nowhere in one of my saves. There was a mine there, but it depleted, but the number of shacks increased slightly over time)

I want a whole favela of shacks!

Last edited:
wasteland 2, only at canyon of titan after like 3 months of having it since i dont have time to play cos of gf/uni =/\

its good though, first game(single player) i've played for more then an hour since fallout new vegas came out

I got StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm the other day...and I'm not completely sure why I did it. It was on sale, went with a free mousepad and I had enough money with me which had unexpectedly landed in my pocket a few days ago, so I bought it on a whim.
Wings of Liberty kinda sucked in singleplayer and was okay in multiplayer - since I'm in a mood for some multiplayer RTS, I wager this will do. Singleplayer will probably be horrible, at least storywise. I don't feel bad about supporting Blizzard though. Despite making many shitty stunts over the years, they are one of the few remaining big budget studios that put out real expansion packs and don't DLCwhore into oblivion. Plus, they haven't adopted the shitty F2P model yet, which is another plus.

So yeah, I'll be playing that in the coming days.

Me and a buddy of mine tried like hell to beat Nuclear Throne, but the farthest I have gotten is the 6th level. I recently started to get into Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines, then Half-Life got my interest again with the Brutal Half-Life mod and that damn Half-Life 3 thread popping up. Cities: Skyline is a bit of fun, but I somewhat lost interest due to the building types being a bit bland.

Giving Mafia II a shot, and so far I am dissapointed. I'm in the very beginning of the game, but I'm getting a feeling of rushedness, and a focus on impressions rather than content.
Each mission is labelled a "chapter", what, why, to make it seem like time passes, giving it an "epic" feel? That doesn't help much when I'm in "chapter 3" after 10 minutes game play...

I'm actually considering walking on foot to and from as many missions as possible, just to force the game to feel like it lasts a bit.

I also don't like that the protagonist is younger and hipper, and, well, it just feels very forced, the Italian mother, the friend who hooks him up with mafia-magic, right away. And I can't stand loooong cut-scenes that are 1. boring, and 2. awkward to watch.

Sigh... I really liked Mafia, and I'm feeling bad for disliking Mafia 2 so hard, I even considered not even finishing it, but I'm at least gonna play it a little more and see if things improve.

Sigh... I really liked Mafia, and I'm feeling bad for disliking Mafia 2 so hard ..
That's okay. I think even the lead designer and original Mafia godfather Dan Vavra has left the Mafia II development because he couldn't withstand those changes ordered by Take 2.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

kYPN8wQ.jpg

I got StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm the other day...and I'm not completely sure why I did it. It was on sale, went with a free mousepad and I had enough money with me which had unexpectedly landed in my pocket a few days ago, so I bought it on a whim.
Wings of Liberty kinda sucked in singleplayer and was okay in multiplayer - since I'm in a mood for some multiplayer RTS, I wager this will do. Singleplayer will probably be horrible, at least storywise. I don't feel bad about supporting Blizzard though. Despite making many shitty stunts over the years, they are one of the few remaining big budget studios that put out real expansion packs and don't DLCwhore into oblivion. Plus, they haven't adopted the shitty F2P model yet, which is another plus.

So yeah, I'll be playing that in the coming days.
I dunno. I think single player is still what Blizzard does well. They were excellent at refining and expanding upon and fostering great multiplayer experience..... back in the Diablo II days. But they've since really lost their touch. The best aspects of WOW was its single player component. Yes... SINGLE player component. Its quests and story details filling a MMORPG that otherwise would have been a bunch of nondescript dull repetition. WOL had a pretty great single player experience... at the cost of the Starcraft series' integrity. Going back on all the themes and established lore of the original game just so they could excuse cool shit to do. But at least the EXPERIENCE of playing the single player campaign was pretty awesome.

What Blizzard still does well now are its campaigns and cinematics. Obviously one does little to foster the gameplay experience but it certainly benefits their hype machine. They're also not completely out of the loop as far as what the fans want, since they do pump out patches and expansions to address deeply wished or long-needed or desperately wanted changes, fixes, etc. The most in-touch game dev? No, definitely not. But at least they're no EA.

I still haven't picked up SC2:HOTS, myself, because of the distaste WOL left in my mouth for all the eviscerating of lore they did. The retcons... dear God THE RETCONS!!! But at least from the streams I saw, it looked like it was solidly designed.

Meh.

I should really get back to clear sky. Never tried it for some reason. Or get some great mods for COP that ain't missery or complete.

I never finished Clear Sky. It's a complete mess, highly annoying, buggy and just bad in general. The faction system is a nice idea, but it just results in you running around trying to keep your territory. The story is kinda "meh" and involves tediously long sequences without a chance to replenish your stuff. Worst, there are no creepy underground levels in CS. I really did not enjoy that game. COP was a lot better, but SOC with a nice mod like Oblivion Lost is really the best in my opinion.
Haven't looked into it a for a while, gotta check if they added more from the released alpha version of SOC...

]I dunno. I think single player is still what Blizzard does well. They were excellent at refining and expanding upon and fostering great multiplayer experience..... back in the Diablo II days. But they've since really lost their touch. The best aspects of WOW was its single player component. Yes... SINGLE player component. Its quests and story details filling a MMORPG that otherwise would have been a bunch of nondescript dull repetition. WOL had a pretty great single player experience... at the cost of the Starcraft series' integrity. Going back on all the themes and established lore of the original game just so they could excuse cool shit to do. But at least the EXPERIENCE of playing the single player campaign was pretty awesome.

What Blizzard still does well now are its campaigns and cinematics. Obviously one does little to foster the gameplay experience but it certainly benefits their hype machine. They're also not completely out of the loop as far as what the fans want, since they do pump out patches and expansions to address deeply wished or long-needed or desperately wanted changes, fixes, etc. The most in-touch game dev? No, definitely not. But at least they're no EA.

I still haven't picked up SC2:HOTS, myself, because of the distaste WOL left in my mouth for all the eviscerating of lore they did. The retcons... dear God THE RETCONS!!! But at least from the streams I saw, it looked like it was solidly designed.

Meh.

What kind of retcons are we talking about here? If you are referring to Terrans becoming a parody of their counterpart in SC1, then yeah, but then again, it's still not much of a retcon given how underdeveloped they were in the original game (not referring to other media such as books, comics etc.).

I'm familiar with the SC lore, played the original game and BW, and to be fair, SC2 single player is a disappointment in almost every way. The level design itself is great, with every mission having a different gimmick to it, and the achievement system is a real drug. However, the story and the writing sucked hard. Storywise, it was obvious what would happen even from the fucking trailer. Zero twists, zero excitement. Characters were bland as cardboard. Sure, voice acting was great, but horribly written dialogues ruined it. Besides, SC1 characters, despite being far less prominent, were more in the line of different shades of grey. In WoL, not so much.
I haven't played through HotS single player - from what I've heard, it's slightly better than WoL, but nothing substantial.

On the other hand though, StarCraft lore in general is a pretty bland one. Compare it to Warcraft lore, for instance (pre-WoW). There is far more content, far more coherence to the setting, and hell, even more logic. It may be a fantasy universe compared to the soft SF one, but it is quite obvious that far more attention was given to, say, WCIII's story, than SC1 and SC2 combined. And even then, SC1 has a better story. That is somewhat unfair to say, though, since I'm basing my opinion on the first part of the trilogy, but by the looks of it, it doesn't look like it would get any better.

Cinematics are great, that is true. It's the thing where Blizzard is best at. That, and creating hype.

However, I'm not sure about multiplayer being bad. In fact, I think it's great. Especially with HotS. Some new additions such as the XP system are making it even more addictive. Matchmaking is fine and ranked play is great. Of course, it requires skill and naturally, higher leagues are dominated by pros whom you stand little to no chance against, but such is life. It's still fun to play, both casual and otherwise. There are some balancing issues here and there, but patches are applied often, so it's nice to know that Blizzard is doing their job on that one...or are at least trying.
My favorite thing is that Editor is awesome (they've recently added WCIII's assets to it, the original campaign is being recreated by fans, which is beyond awesome), and there are plenty of great fan-made Arcade games.

Cause some comments ought to be addressed out of sequence, I'll split this up into parts, out of order...

I'm familiar with the SC lore, played the original game and BW, and to be fair, SC2 single player is a disappointment in almost every way. The level design itself is great, with every mission having a different gimmick to it, and the achievement system is a real drug.
That's EXACTLY what made them great. I never said Blizzard's writing was spectacular (in a recent Game Grumps of WC3:ROC, everyone was laughing at Ross's explanations of the WC lore because they thought he was bullshitting them, because it all sounded so ridiculous) I said their best is their single player experiences. Being able to choose between siding with the Protoss and cleansing an infested world or fighting back against the Protoss to try to save that world resulting in two vastly different missions to play, each challenging and distinct on their own, separate designs, was really great! But... on the story side, if you helped the Protoss cleanse the infested world, the character on your ship ends up tragically infested as well and Raynor needs to put her down with a heavy heart... yet if you fought the Protoss to protect the infested world and save as many Terrans as you can, the same character was always fine, and they even have a sappy ending to their character arc where she gives him a peck on the cheek, and all is well. The story goes for mutually-exclusive tales whenever the game diverges, and that hurts the story. But the gameplay ITSELF is still superb.

It's not representative of what you can expect in multiplayer, because the tech trees are COMPLETELY customized in the campaign with units never meant to be played online. It's a mash-up of both linear and nonlinear and it both works and hurts itself because of the different circumstances that brings about. It lacks some integrity because you determine the story through your mission choices rather than the story having been decided and you would only learn as much as you sought out. These are all definitive issues with the campaign, but they didn't make the experience of the campaign poorer, per se. They were problems on their own.

However, the story and the writing sucked hard. Storywise, it was obvious what would happen even from the fucking trailer. Zero twists, zero excitement. Characters were bland as cardboard. Sure, voice acting was great, but horribly written dialogues ruined it. Besides, SC1 characters, despite being far less prominent, were more in the line of different shades of grey. In WoL, not so much.
Yes and no. Yes in that, as a whole, the writing was bad. But no in the minor details. There were twists, they just weren't very clever ones. The characters had some depth, just nothing particularly special. The "unsuspected" elements were ridiculous and poorly thought out, and they were just there because it made convenience for the story. For example, Findley's "deal with the devil" which would have made zero sense, if you were in either Findley's or Mengsk's shoes. You take a con from prison, just because he has some history with one of your greatest adversaries, to infiltrate said adversary under the condition that he wins his freedom if he... a lowly human ...kills the greatest threat to the galaxy, who by the way is immortal. WHY is that supposed to make sense? The campaign develops some conveniences and makes it possible for a moment at the end of the story for Findley to aim a gun at Kerrigan's head and for that moment to have SOME level of tension, but by NO means should this have been something a dictator could have conceivably PLANNED. That's a fine example of poor writing, and it wasn't the only one. Worse was what they did to Kerrigan's character, but I'll get more into that below.....

However, I'm not sure about multiplayer being bad. In fact, I think it's great. Especially with HotS. Some new additions such as the XP system are making it even more addictive. Matchmaking is fine and ranked play is great. Of course, it requires skill and naturally, higher leagues are dominated by pros whom you stand little to no chance against, but such is life. It's still fun to play, both casual and otherwise. There are some balancing issues here and there, but patches are applied often, so it's nice to know that Blizzard is doing their job on that one...or are at least trying.
Trying doesn't makes the efforts automatically successful. For instance, during the WOL days, Terran were WOEFULLY overpowered. Like, ridiculously so. At its worst, the Zerg in SC1 days were NEVER as abusive and OP as WOL Terran were. The Terran Ball was widely and infamously reputed for being an excessively unstoppable "strategy", with the best players in the world at Zerg and Protoss getting regularly crushed by far less skilled players simply utilizing the Terran Ball. Those days were Hell. Blizzard didn't so much "address" that as much as they waited for HOTS to make any changes to fix the problem. Back in the 90s they didn't wait for an expansion to fix problems, they patched them then and there. They applied TONS of balance fixes that actually resolved many issues, whereas they basically left the Terran Ball be for all the years leading up to HOTS. It was only with the units they introduced in HOTS that made particular abusive strategies harder to pull off. Hell, even in the WCIII days, they didn't wait too long to apply fixes to the "mass x" strategies running rampant. They even invented a new armor type JUST to engineer a solution to players massive Huntresses and Shaman.

What kind of retcons are we talking about here? [...]On the other hand though, StarCraft lore in general is a pretty bland one.
This is the big one...

For starters, SC2 (and WC3 and WOW, for that matter) was RIFE with retcons, and terrible and massive ones, at that. SC1 established that the Xel'Naga were the most advanced race in the universe that sought to create new races that would be an "ideal", and in their tampering with the Protoss and the Zerg, they ended up causing their own extinction. It firmly set that the Overmind was a cunning entity that saw through its creators' intentions and engineered their downfall, then set its hungry eyes on the Protoss to become "perfect". The backstory concerning the Protoss and the Zerg and the Xel'Naga was very rich and, SC2 tossed it to the wind. Suddenly the Overmind did everything not out of its insatiable thirst for perfection but out of a fear of its creators and that it was, the entire time, a slave to the Xel'Naga (even during the events of SC1). Suddenly the Xel'Naga didn't accidentally manufacture their own extinction but contrivingly and absurdly orchestrating the meticulously apocalyptic doom for the whole universe..... just because. Suddenly the Overmind's goals wasn't to embed itself in Aiur and something something "become complete" but rather it was ALWAYS to find the perfect entity to infest to create a method to combat the Xel'Naga, and that entity was conveniently Kerrigan, and Kerrigan was the key to everything, and killing Kerrigan would doom the universe to the Xel'Naga's planned apocalypse of everything. Suddenly Kerrigan was never a power-hungry omnicidal psychopath who murdered her way to the top of the food chain JUST because she could, and she had the power to do so, but now it turns out that was just the Zerg DNA creating a "different Kerrigan", and that somewhere buried deep inside her subconscious she's still a good-hearted person, cheering Raynor on to end her own tyranny.

There's more, but let's just stop with that for now. It's ridiculous! These things were all done to manufacture circumstances that would allow for the campaign Blizzard ended up making, and that's nothing new, as they've done that before with their previous works. But at least they did it WELL in previous decades. When WCII came out and they had to take a story divided between 2 campaigns that were mutually exclusive in the original game and find a way to decide which one was canon, they took the best ideas from BOTH and made them all canon. The Orc ending was the canonical ending, but events from the Human ending were also canonical. Likewise the Beyond the Dark Portal expansion for WCII determined that the Alliance ending was canon, but kept details from the Horde campaign intact, such as Gul'Dan's betrayal and the invasion and destruction of Quel'Thalas. By stark contrast, WCIII UNDID many of the established lore to make way for the possibility of its campaign. Suddenly Medivh survived his slaying AND was purged of Sargeras's spirit so he could redeem his actions from the first game by saving Azeroth in the third. Suddenly it was Sargeras' INTENTION to lose to Aegwynn so he could infect her unborn child millennia later (again, just like the Findley plotholes, this was just ridiculously contrived) and so on and so forth. You get the idea, I hope.

The worst of SCII's retcons turned the Xel'Naga from a naive but well-meaning race of demi-godly aliens into a race of purely malevolent assholes for no apparent reason, and trurned the Zerg from an endlessly voracious and destructive race bent on consuming the galaxy into a misunderstood race led by a fearful arbiter trying to save the universe from destruction at the hands of its creators, and so on and so for. It WILDLY mutilated the established lore of the series that was very creatively and colorfully established back in Starcraft, and more's the pity. The lore used to be rich, now all the details that made it so interested have been tossed to the winds to make way for new and silly ideas just to excuse an audacious series of campaigns. This is where Blizzard's really lost their touch. They've grown too large, they've lost their way with what made their games so great. Yeah, they patch pretty frequently, but pardon me if being spoiled by Icefrog has left me unimpressed with Blizzard's efforts. I've seen far better, far more meticulous, far more dedicated efforts, so while Blizzard certainly hasn't been brushing off issues, I just can't see them in the same complimentary light as I once had.

They aren't manufacturing failures as far as multiplayer experiences go. I was simply saying that that's not what they do well anyway. They make great cinematics and great single player campaigns. The rest of their creations are varying degrees of successes and failures, but the common thread they all share is that they don't hold a candle to the quality of the campaigns and cinematics. That's not a terrible thing, but it's neither a necessarily good thing, either. =|

Trying out Mount and Blade: With fire and sword, and it's sooo coool :0

First of all - it's no replacement for Warband, there is something epically unique about being mister shoot-the-wings-of-a-fly-with-an-epic-bow-in-the-mythical-fictional-continent-of-calradia, that a real-setting game ain't gonna manage to replicate, but what fire and sword loses, by bringing it to "the real world" and introducing gunpowder - it gains by introducing a real world and gunpowder!

I thoroughly enjoy the slow mechanism of the old-school pistols - even shooting arrows was a more "personal" experience, cus you can't "spray" arrows, you have to aim each one at a target, but.. if you miss, it takes you only 2 seconds to send another arrow flying. With the pistols and muskets, each bullet has to strike its target, or you waste half a minute of battle, riding around, readying another shot! This leads to most of my bullets being fired at an almost intimate range, I would ride away to load, then charge my target, pistol aiming, and not let loose my bullet untill I was close enough to stab the fucker :D Often the target is aiming back, turning the situation into a duel

Lead bullets flying across the battlefield also add a certain "sudden death" factor to the game, and playing on easy, I've seen half my health pop-away from such lucky hits from the enemy - comparable almost to the impalement of charging spear-men, that are so devastating in old Warband (and persists in this game as well)

I'm still getting to know the game, I'm still getting to know Warband for that matter, so I'm testing and trying around, yesterday I managed to join a castle defense, and it was a rare satisfaction to wait at the end of a ladder, and reach my pirate-pistol out and pop a gunpowdery lead bullet into the first bastard who stuck his head up above the wall :D dooown he goes, while I had to start the gun-reloading process :D

Last edited:
I am THINKING of accelerating any plans I considered not ever acting on of acquiring a PlayStation, 4 solely so I can play me some Bloodborne. That game looks DAMN great.

A long-desired Demon's Souls v2.0 delivered? Yes please! =D

Also never heard of the above title, so unfortunately I cannot comment at all on it. =/

@SnapSlav huh, sorry, I missed your response on the whole SC2 discussion. Will respond as soon as I can.
*Stares at size of aforementioned response*

You missed THAT? Really? o.o

All joking aside, it's no biggie. Take your time. =)

The only comment that left me sort of stunned was the "what retcons" question, cause uh... yeah, Blizzard retcons A LOT, and often! It's sort of mind-blowing at this point just how effort they extend into mauling their own lore to make way for newer, less interesting lore.

You know what time it is? It is F.E.A.R time! Gone trough the first game and the 2 expansions and i'm really stumped how it gets much worse from the vanilla game troughout the expansions. Low res textures and just a low quality work.. Especially in the last expansion.

Thankfully i'm done with it all so i started the second game last night and as i remember the only really bad thing is the "consoleization" with stuff like not being able to bind keys to the extra mouse buttons and the checkpoint system + the infinite ammount of ammo and health.

Might pass on the third game tho since that is way worse :P

Back