General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Replaying Half-Life 2, I've come to realise how bad I've gotten at taking on entire squads while strafing, as opposed to the industry standard of playing whack-a-mole from behind chest-high walls.

Not that the latter is always bad - one of the series that get first-person cover shooting right is STALKER, because it fits with the risky survivalist gameplay that the whole game is centered around. That game does survival, atmosphere-building and level design in an open world just fine without needing gimmicks like town building and allowing saves only at a bed.

I wanted to buy Metal Gear Rising Revegenanceanceance but Konami region locked it so instead I bought Banner Saga, Hyper Light Drifter and Skullgirls.

Just playing Civilization V. I made the Roman Empire a hyperadvanced fascist superpower :twisted:, in the Modern Age whilst every other civ is just out the Renaissance :lmao:. Funny how i conquered a whole continent that has around 50 aluminum and 0 uranium. Well, making the USA a nuclear wasteland will have to wait :-(

Did you get the Master Key? If you did, you can skip the next two areas/dungeons. Figure it out if you wish ;).

No exploits needed. If you need exploits, you need practice ;)

Tastes differ though, and I can definitely see it's not for everyone. But it's one of my all-time favorite games and I'm pretty sure nothing will really top the first experience I had with it. It's the combination of several things, and it's hard to put into words exactly what I love so much about it. But the overall atmosphere of the game - the wondering of what the hell this place is and what's going on, the sense of hopelesness and loneliness, combined with the difficult nature of the game, makes it awesome to me. I love the artistic side of the game, the visuals and the music and how effectively certain things are used.

And on the more technical side, the gameplay concepts are brilliant. It does difficulty in an almost perfect way. If you just rush in, you will die. The game is supposed to frustrate you, but award patience and practice. When you finally get the hang of it, you feel great. And the game offers you other solutions - flesh out your character and come back when you're more powerful, or summon help. Which leads me to another part of the game: the online interactivity and the factions. Both of these tie in so well with both the atmosphere of the game, the story and the gameplay itself. The fact that you can't really team up with a friend and co-op the entire game, but rather have to rely on random strangers occasionally helping you (or being such a random stranger yourself) lends even more to how lonely and vulnerable you feel. Especially since you always risk being invaded by dark spirits when trying to summon help.

The fact that the game never tells you where to go and what to do (well, barely). It's up to you to explore and find out. And the story isn't shoved in your face. You can ignore it, or dive deep into it (it's so deep that there are hours upon hours of discussion and theorizing on the internet).

And the level design is genius...

Hell, just typing about it makes me anxious to play it again.
In summary: GIT GUD

Last edited by a moderator:
Pillars of Eternity and XCOM 2.

I'm trying to play through PoE's path of the damned for the sake of the achievement, but the combat's a lot less than spectacular, so I'll probably stop playing it after that.

I've downloaded a metric shitton of mods for XCOM 2, so I'm going to be busy with it for a while.

Getting a little easier to get through Dark Souls now, I forgot to post a picture of the undead merchant I killed by accident:

20160406220444_1.jpg

Did you get the Master Key? If you did, you can skip the next two areas/dungeons. Figure it out if you wish ;).
I got it as a starting gift.

In summary: GIT GUD
I suck at hack and slash games and could care less about getting good at them except a couple years ago I got this on a Steam sale for like $5 so I thought I might as well play it.
On the other hand I'm good at popamole and sort of at ISOTB

Pillars of Eternity and XCOM 2.

I'm trying to play through PoE's path of the damned for the sake of the achievement, but the combat's a lot less than spectacular, so I'll probably stop playing it after that.

I've downloaded a metric shitton of mods for XCOM 2, so I'm going to be busy with it for a while.
once i exposed by divinity original sin combat, suddenly and could careless with pillars, even though its story were just enganging. i like the idea of manipulatig enviroment and using it as puzzle solver.

Currently getting my ass handed to me in Dark Souls 3. And I love it! I've barely made any progress, but what little I've seen so far is beautiful. A lot of things from the first game that I missed in DaS 2 seem to be back. And it definitely feels harder than the previous games.

I like the Souls games, they're for sure worth a buy during a Steam sale.

They're worth the full price and then some ;) Got the collector's edition for DaS 2, but unfortunately couldn't get my hand on it for DaS 3. I waited too long and when I finally came around to pre-order it was already sold out everywhere in Sweden.

Eh not a fan of paying full price for games when I can get good deals.

Trying to install my Gamersgate copy of The Witcher Enhanced Edition but the installer must not be downloading it right or something because the exe isn't doing anything. So irritating but atleast I only paid $2.50 for it.

playing mad max right now, My God..the setting is so bleak than fallout 3 and fallout dust combined
at least in fallout, you got no ocean dried up and evaporate

the graphic is cool, and it is very perfomance friendly
2015-09-13_00019.jpg

playing mad max right now, My God..the setting is so bleak than fallout 3 and fallout dust combined
at least in fallout, you got no ocean dried up and evaporate

the graphic is cool, and it is very perfomance friendly
2015-09-13_00019.jpg

I loved the game far more than i expected. When i first saw the combat i feelt like it would get repetitive really fast but i went trough it 100% with all achievements and all :)

Never having played a Souls game before, I just bought and tried out Dark Souls 3. Certainly lives up to its reputation, which I found out with my first experience. I breezed through the starting area, thought its difficulty had been exaggerated all along, and was subsequently pounded into dust by the first boss. So much for hoping that the third game would be dumbed down for casuals and non-git-gudders.

It's also partially ruined Skyrim for me, with everything it has that Skyrim doesn't. Subtle storytelling, decent pacing, good level design, actual challenge, enemy diversity, etc. The only thing I've disliked about it so far is the clunky interface and the fact that the mouse cursor moves like it's drunk, though I guess that's a logical consequence of being a console port. Oh well, it's fun. Recommended.

Valkyria Chronicles 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Bloodborne (Replaying it for like the 6th time) and I'm about to start Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker because I never got around to it.

Never having played a Souls game before, I just bought and tried out Dark Souls 3. Certainly lives up to its reputation, which I found out with my first experience. I breezed through the starting area, thought its difficulty had been exaggerated all along, and was subsequently pounded into dust by the first boss. So much for hoping that the third game would be dumbed down for casuals and non-git-gudders.

It's also partially ruined Skyrim for me, with everything it has that Skyrim doesn't. Subtle storytelling, decent pacing, good level design, actual challenge, enemy diversity, etc. The only thing I've disliked about it so far is the clunky interface and the fact that the mouse cursor moves like it's drunk, though I guess that's a logical consequence of being a console port. Oh well, it's fun. Recommended.

I would highly recommend playing it with a controller.

I would highly recommend playing it with a controller.
Actually... It's way more intuitive, precise and comfortable than it looks. The controller i used for Ds1 and 2 isn't compatible anymore, so for desperation i have to get used to it for now.
And no DSFix, it's not out yet.
The strong attack (r2) is Shift + LClick is harder to use, but the leap attack/kick are waay easier to use now.
My knight and his Claymore are halfway the Undead Settlement now. Good times.

After another round of New Vegas, I've decided to finally start Wasteland 2.
Even through I've only really started the first Quest, I'm enjoying it.
There's a few issues I have with it but other than that, I'm really enjoying it.

I must be the only person to use a mouse and keyboard on Dark Souls 1. :P
Not my fault though, I don't care for gamepads and the amount of times I've broken them when I was younger is interesting. Lot easier to use the camera at 60fps but it sucks having to use backspace to occasionally make a jump.
Also didn't figure out how to sprint until I got to the starting area after ringing the second bell(the firelink shrine place or whatever it's called).
Fighting enemies is getting much easier for me since I've learned to pace myself when fighting and using a shield to avoid physical damage unless a roll would better suffice.

Back