General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Just finished KOTOR 1 and 2 in the previous week. Well almost. Still have the darkside part of kotor2 to play :)

I bought Oblivion today and i'm starting to see why some of you might be getting concerned.

C&C3. Bought it some 2 weeks ago, and returned to my last JA2 savegame after 3 days of playing.

Been micing the 2 ever since. Some nostalgic value (tiberium, Kane), but it just doesn't hold the simplicity and gameplay of the first installment...

It's all about learning shortcuts and being fast now.

I remember using my PS1 with Red Alert in my dad's garage, playing against my neighbour's kid, using 2 TV's. Before I learned about networking... Ahh, nostalgia.

Hellboy (360) - A fun brawling game, with a few cool boss fights. A lot of the combat obviously gets repetitive, though, and the lack of customization hurts replayability.

Quake Wars - An absolute blast. I love the fact you can sandbox the missions and let the computer handle the objectives while you just blow shit up.

Vagrant Story - I've never played this before, but I got a copy at E3 to try out. So far it's a little slower than I'd like, but it IS the beginning.

-Arcanum : I think that I like this one even more than Fallout. Probably the videogame I like the most.

-Flatout 2 : violent and dirty

-Raze's Hell : blasting Kewletts is just PURE ecstasy

-Half Life 2 Deathmatch

Well now that I have it. I am playing Overlord a bunch.
It's fun and funny at times. The "good and evil" aspect could have been done better.
In some portions of it it's trying to be Fable, or seems like it anyways.

I definitely noticed the Fable influences while playing the demo. In fact, I forgot which game I was playing, and became furious that for some reason the controls weren't working. (In Fable I have a bunch of keys mapped to things I don't in Overlord...)

MrBumble said:
-Arcanum : I think that I like this one even more than Fallout. Probably the videogame I like the most.
You're not the only one. :wink:

Playing DeusEx.

I'm no far left nutjob, but there is something incredibly creepy about accepting a EULA stating "This product is owned by the Government Of The United States Of America."

I'm pretty sure they didn't capitalize the "ofs", but still, creepy.

Although work leaves me with little time for games, I've been playing 3:

Planescape: Torment. I've been hearing about this for years, so some months ago I decided to try it. I tried some characters, but finally settled, and I'm about to finish it. Everyone here knows about this game, so I'll say no more about it. I think I'll give Arcanum another try after PST, since I never got to finish it.

Synnergist. I mentioned this game in the "unpopular games/bands" thread.

Action Quake2. The multiplayer mod that started the "semi-realistic FPS" craze that counterstrike picked up on. I've been playing this for over a year. Definitely worth a try if you're into fast FPS games and can get over the poor graphics.

Ugh...

Currently, I've been playing some really shitty games to review for my website...

(PS2) Transformers:The Movie: The Game: It's short, stupid and leaves you wanting to stab Micheal Bay with a rusty screwdriver (Just like the movie!).

(X360) Hour of Victory: Uninspired WWII shooter with retarded AI and levels that seem like they were made in five minutes by a monkey armed with a banana and a crayon.

(X360) Gears of War: I've hated this game for a looong time, I've reviewed it before, but since FO3 coverage has been comparing it to this game, I'm going to make another article titled...

How Gears of War ruined gaming forever

But I have played some fun games recently...

(PS3) Resistance: Fall of Man : It's a FPS with a surprisingly well-thought out story! You actually have to use different guns! You actually HAVE TO READ IN IT! That and the Multiplayer gets pretty hectic (which is pretty fun)...

(PS2) Odin Sphere: It's a beat-em-up/RPG with hand-drawn graphics. Simply put, it's a surprisingly deep and addictive game with a story that actually encourages paying really close attention.

Finished Beneath a Steel Sky. A great game indeed.
Right now I'm playing Wasteland (momentarily on hiatus), Arcanum as a dimwit and Metal Fatigue. I never was quite sure why MF didn't catch on, it's a pretty good RTS with a fantastic 3D environment.
Also, playing Arcanum as a dimwit made me love that game even more, therefore pushing it to the top of my 'best games' list.

Stag said:
I'm no far left nutjob, but there is something incredibly creepy about accepting a EULA stating "This product is owned by the Government Of The United States Of America."

I'm pretty sure they didn't capitalize the "ofs", but still, creepy.
America's Army Online?

Bingo.

Still, had some fun. Got pissed off because I kept getting called a "camper" while using the sniper rifle...I'm sorry I like being able to actually aim.

mr. pastorius said:
(...) and Metal Fatigue. I never was quite sure why MF didn't catch on, it's a pretty good RTS with a fantastic 3D environment.
Ah, I love Metal Fatigue. The combot fights are lovely to just even watch and rushing to obtain enemy parts to research and integrate into your own combots is just neat. Many RTS games use "capture and research" as a means to tip the balance, but the way it's done in MF is very unique and beautifully done. It's a pity that the game is bugged and lacking in other areas.

Stag said:
Bingo.

Still, had some fun. Got pissed off because I kept getting called a "camper" while using the sniper rifle...I'm sorry I like being able to actually aim.
:lol: .
It seems that some people couldn't understand what the game is about XDDDDDDDDDDDD .

Aye. It just gets very irritating to have the chat area spammed by "u camper n00b faggot!!!1"

Actually, that's sort of a good sign, that people are slowly getting smarter. Were I playing Counterstrike, the same message would be expressed as "u camper n00b f4gg0t nigger." I am no longer called a nigger for camping...Evolution.

Speaking of AAO...
The idea of using computer games to manipulate teenagers into going to army gives me creeps.

It reminds me of non-gamer magazines writing about "harmful social message" of games like Carmageddon, and GTA. Actually they treat games like some magical tool of manipulation that makes people accept all "values" present in games as a guide for their lives.
What gives me creeps is that there are people that are willing to purposefully create such tools.

Well, my take on it is that any kid who really wants to join the army, is. There's not much a video game is going to do to convince you one way or the other.

Back