General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Decided to replay Red Alert, never finished the Soviet campaign - Stalin's actor is awesome. Really should play games that were released after 2000, sometime.

you can boil an egg in the same time it takes to turn around. at least thats the case for ds ;)

---

just stopped playing civ 4, cant take the ai anymore. has half my score, sits at the other end of the map, but declares war after good relations, just to raid a bunch of cottages..yeah right. wish I had the time for some decent online gaming, hope they improve the ai for civ 5..cant wait

Roflcore said:
you can boil an egg in the same time it takes to turn around. at least thats the case for ds ;)

Bullshit, I can turn around in Dead Space in half a second. I just ate a couple of eggs I boiled few minutes ago, it took me quite a bit longer. You either didn't know about vsync bug or you simply had sensitivity set too low. And of course that also wouldn't be the case for RE4, because it has a quick 180 degree turn action.

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
You don't need to white-knight consoles every time they're brought up, you know.
Yet it seems like every time a console is brought up, everything has to be negative about it. Could everybody just chill their nuts and stop caring about what people on the internet say about consoles/computers? Sure, a computer is a better platform to play a shooter on, but most of us can't afford to upgrade every 3 months, so we play console games. I play console and PC shooters, and all the things pcfags bitch about in console shooters aren't very noticeable, so please take this faggotry out of the bar, kids.

console shooters aren't inheretly bad so it kinda annoys me too that people always jump the gun to call them crap. yes, most of them aren't that good and FPS's are better on a PC 99% of the time. but to blindly call every kind of console game that includes shooting in first or third person crap is pretty arrogant as well as ignorant.

anyways, installed ToEE last night and was going to install the Co8 mod but it seems like the download page was offline so I couldn't get it. I still started a game and consider playing it vanilla after all. since I never finished it before I might as well finish it without mods at least once before I install anything.

Einhänder said:
Yet it seems like every time a console is brought up, everything has to be negative about it. Could everybody just chill their nuts and stop caring about what people on the internet say about consoles/computers? Sure, a computer is a better platform to play a shooter on, but most of us can't afford to upgrade every 3 months, so we play console games.
Maybe people would stop caring if people like you didn't throw out strawmen like PCs needing upgrading every 3 months. I've had my current PC for 2 years and it still runs all the newest game very easily on nearly the highest settings. I won't need to upgrade it for another 2 years, I'd estimate. And no, it wasn't expensive. It cost me 550 euros (which in the PC world translates directly to $550). Before that, I had a PC that cost me about that and that I used for 3 years. Unlike an old console which I would throw away, it is currently being used as a file server and to deliver media to my TV. The only updates I made on either PC were buying additional hard drives. Plus, you already have a PC which you're using to post on this forum, so you'll always have one.

All this makes PC gaming about as expensive as console gaming.
Einhander said:
I play console and PC shooters, and all the things pcfags bitch about in console shooters aren't very noticeable, so please take this faggotry out of the bar, kids.
I like console games, especially sports games, but I can't stand to play console shooters. They and their control schemes just don't work for me. But that's a matter of personal taste and not a holy, absolute truth for everyone.

You guys wanna know some good console shooters?

The TimeSplitters series, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Turok 1/2. The main things I notice in a bad console shooter is:

• 1. Regenerating Health
  • 2. Lack of weaponry (so it can be easily mapped for console button controls) "HURR I CAN HOLD 2 WEAPUNS SO REALISTIC" is not really the case, it's just another part of dumbing down everything.
The games I listed above have neither the regenerating health or the 2-weapon disability.

Einhänder said:
but most of us can't afford to upgrade every 3 months
That's bullshit. If you know what you're doing you only need to upgrade every few years.
Man it feels good to have an internet connection again.

Einhänder said:
but most of us can't afford to upgrade every 3 months, so we play console games.

My box is over 2 years old easily and im only JUST getting to games i can't run maxxed out (Metro, im looking at you).

Even then it looks and runs WAY better than any console.

Protip: Buy them from a proper computer retailer or build them yourself. Don't buy them from large stores like Walmart or Kmart. Not only are they overpriced prebuilt pieces of shit, the staff know fuck all.

Jesus christ, exaggerations. You still need to upgrade a lot, or spend 500 dollars to get a bitching computer, note that no console is over 400 unless you want a super duper special Xbox or something. Believe me, I wish I had a better computer. I want to play games like Stalker and the new HD versions of Serious Sam, but I simply can't at this moment.

With the money you pay for Xbox Live Gold, $60/£50 console games, overpriced DLC, an Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter and an Xbox 360 console you could probably get a pretty good entry-level PC, and then gradually upgrade it.

Note that Steam (and consequentially Steam's sales periods) make PC gaming a lot cheaper in the long run, PCs also have free online multiplayer and no Xbox Live Gold subscriptions (Microsoft actually tried that shit with GfWL if I recall correctly).

True, it is cheaper in the long run, but for people like me, I just can't amass enough money to get a PC. However, I'm not bashing PCs, I'm just saying, people should stop bitching about how they're better than consoles. Goddamn.

oh come on, 400$? and you connect it to your toaster? whats the point of a ps3/xbox360 if you don't have a decent tv?

oh and we talked about alpha protocol. remember? yeah. alpha protocol, which ran maxed out on my 3 years old laptop. talk about exaggeration

/e anybody has played Fallen Earth? I generelly dislike mmos (except planetside maybe), but haven't played something post apocalyptic in years and really want to..

So what ARE you guys playing right now? I stick to oldies - Warrior Within, Dark Crusade and KotOR 2 (for the milionth time).

Finished Crash Bandicoot 3, and I'm almost done with Gex 2.

After that, I'll start a new game and try to beat Chrono Trigger for the umpteenth time.

Every time I've tried to play through it in the past, a new awesome PC game came out and distracted me. Since there are zero PC games worth a damn coming out in at least the next three months, I've got a decent shot at completing it this time around.

Minecraft is just sucking my life away. The free version isn't something very good to look at, but the constantly updated Alpha version(10 euros) is really(I'm going to say the unholy word) immersive. It's not graphics, it ain't realism, it's that the gameplay sucks you in so much you can spend 1 hour mining and you're having fun. And if you're creative, you can do great things.

I personally find the construction methods a fun part of the game as well. The most fun I had recently was building this underwater glass tunnel.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUJN6VrCnvM[/youtube]

Back