General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Portal 2

It has been great so far, but not THAT great to be honest. Definitely not a candidate for GOTY 2011.

Also, is HL3 going to be the next Duke Nukem Forever?! I mean I doubt they would fuck up the game or something, but seriously, it's time. An announcement would have been nice, just like Beyond Good & Evil 2, M. Ancel said that the game won't be seeing daylight until the next generation of consoles are out.

Also + Anybody on Steam/PSN up for some Portal 2 co-op?!

[spoiler:52cb731ed9]
half-life-3-rumor-crowbar-screen-shot.jpg

:mrgreen:
[/spoiler:52cb731ed9]

Just got Empire: Total War and Steam is updating it. Maybe I will be able to play it by midnight or so. I loved the other games in the series, so I hope this one doesn't disappoint me like the last Pc game I bought...

Edit: It didn't. Fucking amazing game. Games like Civilization tend to over-simplify things, but this one blew me away. I love how it is focused on that key 100 year period that changed the world. Now I need to upgrade my measly 1GB of DDR3, so it doesn't run so choppy.

I sort of went on a Gothic frenzy after playing the first one and adoring it. Afterwards, I ended up picking up 2,3 and Risen all in one shopping session. I booted up the 2nd installment and found myself not really getting into it at all. I found it to be overly difficult and just an overall pain to play. The game seriously felt like it was trying to destroy you. To this day, I've never played 3 and only tried Risen. I kinda felt bad for giving up 2 so I never felt encouraged to play the rest.

Thank god, I felt masochistic enough to give 2 another try. Finally got passed the place I was stuck at and now I'm hooked. It has been ages since I've played a game that made me double take at my clock and realize I'd been playing for over 7 hours straight. Gothic 2 is an amazing game. My advice, don't go into it with the same character building strategies you used in Gothic 1 or you will seriously have an unplayable character. I'm going to be sad when I finally finish this game.

Did you get the Night of the Raven expansion for Gothic 2? Anyway, yeah, what a fantastic game. Really glad you gave it another try. So what type of character build did you go with?

Mutoes said:
Just finished Deus Ex Human Revolution and while slightly dissapointing me for not having more than 2 hubs and some rather linear segments i found the game to be great fun and quality overall.

Yea, I thought the two hubs were great but would have much preferred at least 2 or 3 more. And it's too linear to really garner a replay.

Ancel said that the game won't be seeing daylight until the next generation of consoles are out.

Time to start the development cycle, then.

ZeusComplex said:
I sort of went on a Gothic frenzy after playing the first one and adoring it. Afterwards, I ended up picking up 2,3 and Risen all in one shopping session.

Be sure to check out community patches. They fix and improve these games a lot.

mobucks said:
Did you get the Night of the Raven expansion for Gothic 2? Anyway, yeah, what a fantastic game. Really glad you gave it another try. So what type of character build did you go with?

Yeah I got the gold edition. Ended up going with the paladins. Originally I was building my character like I did in one. I spent most of my LP's on secondary skills to try and gain as much money as I could. But this severely gimped me against practically everything. Plus I was a little bit more cautious about exploring in this one since I remember the first one being really cruel if you went too far away from the old camp.

My new playthrough, I left most of the creatures alive on the road to Khorinis. Made it to town, did the citizen quest, joined bosper and learned animal skinning. I went back down the starting road, skinned most of the wolves that I could and got me a decent sword. This gave me the chance to make it to the inn, get the leather armor. Of course at this point I was good enough to explore a good portion of the map and grind for experience.

Wooz said:
Ancel said that the game won't be seeing daylight until the next generation of consoles are out.

Time to start the development cycle, then.

I meant the 8th generation of consoles...PS Vita, Wii-U and so on. There are no news on a PS4 or a Xbox 720 so I guess they can't really start anything.

Yeah, Vita sure is sweet, especially if you are on the go.

Playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. It has a very slow and boring start, and it feels as if you're playing Assassin's Creed 2.5. Hope the game picks up at a certain point but I'm not holding my breath.

AC: Brotherhood got a lot more interesting after I put a few more hours into it. Rome is simply filled with a lot of interesting stuff to do and almost everything feels unique. The downside however is that the setting is very similar to AC2. AC 2 was a great game and probably one of the best sequels I have ever played, AC: Brotherhood is also neat but the thing is that it has that 'same as last year' feeling to it. Also the story isn't that interesting.

Anyway, I hope the 'AC3 american civil war setting' rumor is true because the series really needs a change.

Just finished Gothic 2, instantly bought Gothic 3 and now I'm waiting for it to finish downloading. I've heard some bad rep for this game so I'm a bit curious to experience it. I'm also in the process of downloading the Community Patch.

If Gothic 3 is anything as good as the other two installments, I'm definitely in for a treat. It's been a very long time since a series like this has had me this entranced by it. If people are curious of Gothic, but put off by the rumors of difficulty of the series, yeah It's pretty challenging, but it has yet to be unfair. It's intelligent, the meta-plot so far is great and the gameplay, while dated, is top notch. I'm so glad I bought in to all the praise and gave this series a try.

I have to say that Empire: Total War has impressed me. The accuracy of the combat and setting is impressive. I love playing as the United States or Britain during the 1700's. It was such a important time in history. I might have to go grab Shogun 2 if this keeps up. I love running people down with cavalry charges BTW. I would hate to be on the receiving end of a cavalry charge.

Anyone else enjoy Total War?

Still Star Wars: The Old Republic, and it rocks.

The Sci Fi nerd in me is very happy.

TorontRayne said:
Anyone else enjoy Total War?

I've clocked more than 1000 hours combined on the total war games I've got on steam. Medieval II, Empire and Shogun 2. I don't know how many hours I sunk into Medieval II: Total War (+Kingdoms, Stainless Steel, Third Age), Rome: Total War (+total realism) and Medieval: Total War before I had that evil counter telling me about it.

Shogun 2 is a lot more difficult, which I welcomed greatly at the time of release. Got a bit tired of the samey characteristics of individual campaigns though, clans are not very unique, so I haven't played any more after 4 completed long campaigns, including one on legendary difficulty as Oda, (the others were Chosokabe, Shimazu and Mori) where you can't save apart from the autosave before and after each battle and end turn. It's a different beast, playing like that. It also annoyed me to no end that they're using the Empire engine for Shogun 2 to the point where archers behave more like musket armed infantry than archers, specifically they've not bothered to adjust range according to the relative elevation of archers and their target, i.e. archers on hills do not outrange archers at the foot of the hill. This has always been a core mechanic, and has often been central to my tactics in battle. It's still a very good game though. The economy is also a bit messed up. Rice is king, while markets are counter-productive to long term growth and revenue. Global food surplus makes your town wealth or whatever it's called skyrocket every turn until it pays for your entire army by itself.

So... yes?

On topic, I'm playing Sim City 4. A tragedy that it's the latest title in the series and was released in 2003.

Skipped both The Darkness II & KoA: Reckoning, went for MGS HD Collection instead. :D

Playing Snake Eater, I'm lovin' it!

Back