General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Leo1 said:
Just got back into Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40k Dawn of War......been a while since I've played them and very rusty, feel like a newbie, but both great games

DOW 1 or 2? For some reason i got tired of COH way faster than expected. I still play some DOW 1 every now and then and i might finnish the normal and first xp campaign of DOW 2 soon.

Makta said:
Leo1 said:
Just got back into Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40k Dawn of War......been a while since I've played them and very rusty, feel like a newbie, but both great games

DOW 1 or 2? For some reason i got tired of COH way faster than expected. I still play some DOW 1 every now and then and i might finnish the normal and first xp campaign of DOW 2 soon.

DOW Soulstorm, COH can get a little boring, unlike DOW, the variety of units is awesome, haven't played DOW 2, meant to have less base building elements? also reinstalled Act of War Direct Action and High Treason, been gaming on the console way to long and neglected the rts genre

Leo1 said:
Makta said:
Leo1 said:

DOW Soulstorm, COH can get a little boring, unlike DOW, the variety of units is awesome, haven't played DOW 2, meant to have less base building elements? also reinstalled Act of War Direct Action and High Treason, been gaming on the console way to long and neglected the rts genre

DOW 2 is 90% like COH in gameplay but more focused on hero units. It's not bad but i'm a bigger fan of the first DOW! The last DLC is also the best but if you are going to play it you might aswell start with the vanilla part.

woo1108 said:
Alpha protocol second run!
Wow....this game is very interesting.

Me: Sounds fun!
Random poster on youtube:
horrible aliasing (no chance to force AA becuz glitches), texture load delays and blurry textures, choppy camera due to level streaming, bad walking and running animations, retarded and wooden gameplay, loading times on every fucking thing.

If you use PC don't buy this game. If you have a console buy it there because this is nothing but a rushed port . Screw you too Obsidian

Me: :(

Makta said:
DOW 2 is 90% like COH in gameplay but more focused on hero units. It's not bad but i'm a bigger fan of the first DOW! The last DLC is also the best but if you are going to play it you might aswell start with the vanilla part.

I'm a fan of base building, don't mind a unit focused game but I just prefer DOW, nothing like kicking Orc's ass with some Space Marines :)

I've got Alpha protocol on console and wouldn't know about the problems with the PC version, it was an okay game, a release day purchase, a James Bond RPG was its big selling point but the combat just didn't feel right, shooting just didn't feel well put together :/ but still a great game

Leo1 said:
Makta said:

I'm a fan of base building, don't mind a unit focused game but I just prefer DOW, nothing like kicking Orc's ass with some Space Marines :)

I've got Alpha protocol on console and wouldn't know about the problems with the PC version, it was an okay game, a release day purchase, a James Bond RPG was its big selling point but the combat just didn't feel right, shooting just didn't feel well put together :/ but still a great game

Space marine?! Imperial guards! Nothing like a baneblade with 2 Leman russ wrecking the battlefield while the artilery bombs the shit out of anything in range.

Makta said:
Space marine?! Imperial guards! Nothing like a baneblade with 2 Leman russ wrecking the battlefield while the artilery bombs the shit out of anything in range.

Imperial guards is the other race I use when I've gotten bored of using Space Marines, only race I have never tried is Chaos Marines, just can't get to grips with them

Trying out the new Tomb Raider. Best one yet. Hope it keeps up the pace...

Makta said:
woo1108 said:
Alpha protocol second run!
Wow....this game is very interesting.

Me: Sounds fun!
Random poster on youtube:
horrible aliasing (no chance to force AA becuz glitches), texture load delays and blurry textures, choppy camera due to level streaming, bad walking and running animations, retarded and wooden gameplay, loading times on every fucking thing.

If you use PC don't buy this game. If you have a console buy it there because this is nothing but a rushed port . Screw you too Obsidian

Me: :(
I don't care about that. I already buy it and enjoyed it. then what?
I feel everything is better thant Fo3 though

SnapSlav said:
Wintermind said:
No, dota-likes all have the single worst community in any game I've ever seen. People genuinely get mad when you're new to the game, and flip a shit if you do A) Worse than them, becuase you're not pulling your weight, B) better than them, because you're stealing their kills and hampering their personal growth, or C) exactly the same as them, because you're being a smartass.

Peoples hurtful remarks don't really mean anything, but if I want to induce rage and hate I actually want to earn it, not accrue it simply from being present.
Well actively pursuing resentment is an activity I've never indulged in, so I'll just take your word on how you feel about getting it "without trying".

But really, there are worse communities than DotA's, or the ARTS and MOBA scenes, in general. I've played every DotA clone of the past decade, so I've had AMPLE exposure to them, trust me. I'm not saying that you WON'T encounter some seriously childish, massively egotistical douchebaggery, because you most certainly will. I'm simply stating that it's not unique to DotA, and that there's plenty of players who AREN'T like that. Granted, you have to be ranked at such a high bracket that you only play against the same thousand people, and even then you'll encounter sore loses and whiners 5% of the time. But compared to the beginners bracket, where you are GUARANTEED to run into this? The level of maturity displays a staggeringly marked improvement.

But if there's ever some form of exposure to the genre that you feel would "encourage" you not to detest it, because you'll consistently see players being decent and generous, and actively express the importance of not being rude asshats, check out purgegamers.com and watch a couple of his videos. He's a DotA player any non-professional-level DotA player should aspire to be. Good at the game, polite and anti-troll, surrounded by gosu asians, and has a voice the ladies go nuts over. Actually, now that I summarized all of that, I'm feeling somewhat resentful... that lucky bastard. XD

You've seriously never done any griefing? It's what makes dealing with pubbies and other randoms tolerable because they get so mad about video games. Point being is that normally if you want people to send you angry, hurtful messages, you've got to put some effort into coming up with some creative or something. You merely show your face in a dotalike and someone will get pissy about you/your stats/anything. I've had more enjoyable/relaxing times playing Call of Duty and the like on the Xbox with strangers than anything else.

Additionally, I'm not going to A) play a game I don't like more so I can play it with people who might be less of a manchild or B) watch someone play a game I don't like to see what other people should play like.

All games have shitty communities, or parts of the community where it's extra shitty but fucking dotalikes are the absolute goddamn worst about it. It'd be sadder if I wasn't laughing at them.

I've always wanted to play Dota but I won't unless I can join in and play with my friends. I don't mind being verbally abused but not reported because I'm not good at a game.

But my PC is broke at the moment (hoping to build a desktop soon. I really want to play DoW 2 and Diablo II again), so I'm playing Fallout 3 on my PS3 again. I'm having a hard time getting back into it, but I got a bunch of shit going on.

I love LoL and have played it a lot. But the community does really suck, and unfortunately it's kind of ruining the game for me in the long run. I have to take long breaks (I haven't played for several months now, for example) to be able to keep some distance to the game and its community, but every once in a while I play and I have a lot of fun. Unfortunately, holding back like that means I never really get that much better. I've tried actually practicing and learning several roles and champions to be able to play rankeds, but the bullshit you have to endure makes it pretty hard. I guess you really need to be a 12 year old competetive asshole to actually become really good at these games. Starting at almost 30 will eventually lead to a heart attack, I'm afraid. It's still so damn fun to play with at a pre-made team. Even if you're just duo-queueing it's so much more fun than playing solo.

Anyway, now I'm playing Tomb Raider and it's a lot of fun. Never bothered with the old games as I was never into platformers, but this one seems to have taken things in a new direction and I really like it. It's a damn well polished game, too. Everything feels so fluent and well thought out, and there are countless of small details and nice touches that makes it so much more enjoyable. I was hoping for a bit more free-roaming though, but oh well. And funny enough, I usually hate quick-time events, but even those they've managed to do really well in this game. It gets a bit too much every now and then, but most of the time it feels pretty natural and more or less part of you controlling the character. And they're not as unforgiving as that stupid bullshit they threw into The Witcher 2.

Wintermind said:
You've seriously never done any griefing? It's what makes dealing with pubbies and other randoms tolerable because they get so mad about video games. Point being is that normally if you want people to send you angry, hurtful messages, you've got to put some effort into coming up with some creative or something. You merely show your face in a dotalike and someone will get pissy about you/your stats/anything. I've had more enjoyable/relaxing times playing Call of Duty and the like on the Xbox with strangers than anything else.

Additionally, I'm not going to A) play a game I don't like more so I can play it with people who might be less of a manchild or B) watch someone play a game I don't like to see what other people should play like.

All games have shitty communities, or parts of the community where it's extra shitty but fucking dotalikes are the absolute goddamn worst about it. It'd be sadder if I wasn't laughing at them.
Yeah, seriously. I've never trolled, griefed, or otherwise gone out of my way to intentionally upset people... EVER. That's just who I am; I see no point in trying to belittle someone for personal gain or amusement. If I do something offensive, it was to provoke them to think; if I insult someone, it's to illustrate a negative impression of themselves that they have left me. I always act with a purpose, which consequently means I'm very lethargic most of the time, because I'm otherwise completely reactionary, and not very proactive. But the internet phenomenon of using the safety net of anonymity to act childish and immature to one's own heart's content is something I simply raise an eyebrow at. It serves no purpose, to me. It's a self-indulgences that benefits nothing, so I don't understand why do it at all.

What do I do when I'm situations like you describe with players being lousy and asinine? I just stop helping them. My team-player instincts may still kick in on "autopilot" and I may help them anyway, but if possible, I'll try to avoid them. Does this mean I'll go out of my way to get them killed? No. Does this mean I'll announce their positions in All-Chat so they can get killed? No. Does this mean I'll do ANYTHING in the slightest that I would define as "griefing"? No. I find that behavior beneath me, hence "I'll take your word for it."

And I guess you're just being scathing towards the game because you don't like it, so if that's the case, there's really not much point in discussing it (with you) any further. That's just a cyclical beast, and there's no taming that. But really, in all honesty, the ARTS and MOBA community is NOT the worst on the net; they just have some of the worst people in them. You'll see the worst, but that hardly comprises the whole. I just found another (among many) DotA2 guides that addressed the issue of rudeness and people improperly attempting "constructive criticism" with respect to both teaching newbies and elevating the social standard of the game. These things aren't unheard of, they're just not sensational, so you don't generally hear about them. It's like the saying "The only good news is bad news"; of course it is, because it's catching, but that doesn't mean there isn't positive news to be found.

Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm. After a few boring tutorial mission, it's good to finally play as the Zerg. Also pleased to say Kerrigan is back to being the queen bitch of the universe, and not a damsel in distress like in Wings.

Leo1 said:
I'm a fan of base building, don't mind a unit focused game but I just prefer DOW, nothing like kicking Orc's ass with some Space Marines

IMPERIAL GUAAAAARD!

Seriously. One of my fondest DoW memories is the Kronus battle, where my guardsmen were holding a bottleneck opening into a river against the Necrons. Reinforcements were delayed and only guardsmen supported by constantly built and rebuilt bolter turrets held the pass.

It was absolute pandemonium. Just like in Warhammer 40K promo art. My guardsmen had balls the size of a continent and wth their lasguns, held the metallic monstrosities back, taking heavy losses, but repelling the assault. The frontline buckled, but never broke.

Because Guard.

Tagaziel said:
Leo1 said:
I'm a fan of base building, don't mind a unit focused game but I just prefer DOW, nothing like kicking Orc's ass with some Space Marines

IMPERIAL GUAAAAARD!

Seriously. One of my fondest DoW memories is the Kronus battle, where my guardsmen were holding a bottleneck opening into a river against the Necrons. Reinforcements were delayed and only guardsmen supported by constantly built and rebuilt bolter turrets held the pass.

It was absolute pandemonium. Just like in Warhammer 40K promo art. My guardsmen had balls the size of a continent and wth their lasguns, held the metallic monstrosities back, taking heavy losses, but repelling the assault. The frontline buckled, but never broke.

Because Guard.

Slowly building up my base and trying to hold 3 positions.. Getting hammedred by 2 computers at once.. All units dead or dying and base under attack.. Baneblade + 2 leman rus ready! Fuck you space marines! >:D Game won!

i do not know why, but i have been playing Towns a ton lately.

its a pretty horrible java game, but with a few mods its a great time waster.

Back