General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Currently playing Romancing saga2 with snes emulator.
it's good game with non-linear game play, tough level scailing(maybe encounter scailing?) and good music.

Sub-Human said:
Metro Last Light. What a resource hog. Playing simply for the story now.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed to realize my machine can barely run it even on lower settings. I have a good mid-range card (HD 7850 OC) and a decent cpu, and this is the only game aside from Crysis 3 I haven't been able to play on max or near max settings.

It's sluggish enough that it just doesn't feel fun playing it. And there's something odd going on with shadows, they flicker in and out and almost look like a square mesh.

So right now I'm playing New Vegas instead. No mods, all dlc's. I've done Honest Hearts and Dead Money before. Really loved Dead Monet so I'll do that one again. But I'll try to focus on the other two first, and then just finish the game. I don't know how many times I've started over in this game, but I've only finished it once. I love it, but I always fall into the bottomless pit of exploration and collecting useless stuff. To the point where I get sick of playing. I've now realized it's so much more enjoyable to just play the frickin main story, do some side quests and NOT collect everything that COULD prove useful further down the line.

Sduibek said:
My favorite space games so far are Star Control II and Beat Hazard.
Haven't played any of them, shame on me! :look:
Star Control II looks mighty fine, according to reviews.

I started playing Star Control II and was blown away by the well-written and interesting dialogues. Then I quit playing because of the unplayable and obligatory arcade sequences. It's a shame.

After going trough Bioshock for the 3d time ever 2 days ago i decided to play BS2 for the first time ever! Everything was great and i actually feelt like i didn't have an endless suply of ammo and cash... Untill halfway trough the game and now i'm not even sure if i can be arsed to finnish it just because of this.

Seriously every game i play nowdays feels way to easy when it comes to loot.. Even back in the Fallout 2 days i got tired of the game when i started to have more crap than i could ever want :(
Guess i should play some RTS for a while..

Yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine in pretty much any game that has some sort of loot. I have even been on the lookout for a mod for New Vegas that takes out a lot of the junk and makes weapons and ammo more rare.

I long for a game where finding useful loot is a rarity.

Project Nevada let's you control the rarity of certain kinds of items in containers. Misc, Ammo, health, etc.

Walpknut said:
Project Nevada let's you control the rarity of certain kinds of items in containers. Misc, Ammo, health, etc.

Even with mods like that you will still be swimming in loot due to vendors.
Playing F3 and i'm not even 60% done and i can say that i will never run out of ammo now and i'm playing with FWE and lowered the ammount of loot you get and the price you can sell crap for.

Finished ME3 with all downloadable content. Played with the same character through the trilogy, using the save game transfer option.

I enjoyed the game, especially when played with the Shepard that went through all adventures that three games offer. There were some good choices and consequences, shooting elements of the game are perfected in this title, mixing the best of the two previous games. Dialogues were meek at some moments and are very two-sided (IIRC, in original ME they were thee-sided, at least), and there are not enough persuasion atempts, but it was fine.
Story was good, nice conclusion to the trilogy, but in general, I still place original game on the top of the list, but ME3 is definitely better than ME2.

Regarding the ending:

[spoiler:adfb70435c]I really don't see what's such a big fuss about it. I played it with the Extended Cut DLC, which is free, if I'm not wrong, and the ending is fine. Shepard sacrificing his noble life to become a martyr is somewhat a drag and cliche, but it is at least substantiated by a proper (more or less) reason....not just for the sake of it (khmFallout3khm). Besides, Shepard doesn't die in all endings, so that's a justification/excuse.
However, the epilogues are lacking, but I imagine BioWare did it on purpose, so that they can expand upon it in further games. Regardless, I'd have liked to know what happened to Normandy and the crew, at least.[/spoiler:adfb70435c]

In the end, it's a fine trilogy conclusion. Looking forward what Bioware will do next about the franchise. Hope they don't screw it up like they did with DA universe.

Also, kudos to the composer, great soundtrack.

Oh, Witcher 2. Your boss fights are still every bit as annoying and stupid as I remember them.

I wonder, what is it with RPGs recently, doing everything right but fucking up the bosses? :lol:

So Brother Non gifted me Rayman Origins and I just bought SMT4, so I have been playing those. Rayman Origins is a pretty awesome plataformer, the infinite lives thing doesn't detract at all because all the leves are very well crafted.
SMT4 is pretty good too, it ramped up the difficulty from the beginning but I managed to keep up.

And i'm done with Bioshock infinite! The game started out as a medicore game but later on it redeemed itself a bit. Still not as good as the first 2 but it was worth the time.

[spoiler:9aac3d125a]I did love how you came to Rapture in the end even for a brief time![/spoiler:9aac3d125a]

Finished BioShock.

I have waited a long time to actually play this game, and I'm quite satisfied with it.

Only thing I could actually point out as a major flaw is the game's ending.

[spoiler:e8c78c961b]The final fight was fine, but the ending itself, or to be more precise, cutscene representing the ending is really wrong. There are virtually 2 alternate versions of it (officially, 3, but c'mon, the tone of the narration is supposed to be a major difference?), and both are really rigid. Majority of the game is morally "grey", and suddenly we are faced with a pure black and white ending, both of them leaving us with more questions than answers, and both of them lacking in logic? Seriously, after a fantastic playthrough a whole experience should be stained with this...[/spoiler:e8c78c961b]

Hopefully, the sequel will have a more satisfactory conclusion.

But I won't play it just yet, I need a little break from Rapture.

Bioshock games are like Lost they both suck they depend too much in making you think the story is being mysterious because the writter had great ideas while not actually giving any kind of pay off to it, all the while trying to give pseudo philosophical drivel wrapped in a very linear experience and pretty but empty visuals.

Walpknut said:
Bioshock games are like Lost they both suck they depend too much in making you think the story is being mysterious because the writter had great ideas while not actually giving any kind of pay off to it, all the while trying to give pseudo philosophical drivel wrapped in a very linear experience and pretty but empty visuals.

I can't speak for other games, since, like I've said, I'd only played the first one, but I don't think I can agree with you on this.

[spoiler:fc55d5577d]I never felt the story was trying too hard to be mysterious (like Lost did), driving me, a player, deeper and deeper into the abyss of incomprehensibility. It was just slowly unfolding, and a player has to be thorough and meticulous when going through Rapture in order to have a grip of all small connections and traces left my other characters, audio logs, ghost sightings and very surroundings.
Piece by piece, and in the end, you have a fine picture (aside from the ending as I've mentioned).

Pseudo-philosophical?
I suppose you could label it as such, but I personally find it more as showing how ideals in ideal environment can give rise to something lot "lesser" in man. A strive for dominance. A collateral damage. Plain vanity. And blind idealism which all brought upon the downfall of what could have been humanity's greatest achievement.
So, pseudo-philosophical...maybe. It is far from perfect, but still better than most games out there, and far more interesting.

As for experience being linear...it is a shooter. Set in an underwater city. Which is collapsing. What are you expecting from it? Open-world gameplay?
It gives you enough freedom to explore levels while many of those levels don't present an necessity of being fully explored, but are still a rewarding experience. Most of the time.

As for visuals, I'm inclined to ask what exactly do you mean by "empty visuals"?
The environment is interactive enough, and there is great usage of light and shadow effects to create atmosphere. The way Rapture is designed is beautiful, and levels vary to show its many faces, and after, what 6 years after release, the game has aged pretty well.

Only thing I could maybe label as "bad" (I'd rather say underwhelming when compared to the rest of the game) are character models, which are too cartoonish for my taste, and there are very few of them too, with little or no variation to them. [/spoiler:fc55d5577d]

Per said:
I started playing Star Control II and was blown away by the well-written and interesting dialogues. Then I quit playing because of the unplayable and obligatory arcade sequences. It's a shame.

Yea, I wonder if there is an auto-win cheat or something out there. It's probably the most annoying combat of all time.

Back