General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Has anyone ever played Dead Island? It's buggy as hell but I found it ok. I like the environment in it, lots of nice scenery especially at the top of the mountain in the Tomb of Natives area. Wasn't too happy with the bikini wearing grannies though.

It was a pretty enjoyable rental for me. I liked the combat, despite the constantly breaking weapons.

Has anyone ever played Dead Island? It's buggy as hell but I found it ok. I like the environment in it, lots of nice scenery especially at the top of the mountain in the Tomb of Natives area. Wasn't too happy with the bikini wearing grannies though.

Yeah. I loved it. The story and the characters don't have much depth but the environments look very eerie and cool. The island is fun to explore and the crafting & modification of weapons is great. Give it a try if you are into that sort of stuff.

Yeah. I loved it. The story and the characters don't have much depth but the environments look very eerie and cool. The island is fun to explore and the crafting & modification of weapons is great. Give it a try if you are into that sort of stuff.

No joke my retired father loves the Dead Island series, he's currently playing Dying Light in the other room. For a guy who hates horror genre, he sure likes killing them stupid zombies. But he mentioned similar things to what you said, likes the exploration and crafting mechanics.

I didn't care for it. The respawning world felt weirdly static and dead. . . in a bad way.

I have just finished Fallout 1. And now I'm playing Fallout 2 (for the very first time)! It's so exciting: geckos, GECK, Enclave and other new features! Going to walk it through without any mods for the first time, though.

I am SLOWLY winding down from my inseparable attachment to Bloodborne as the weeks pass. Mostly because I've been GRINDING (and that's never fun) all my characters so that they're "complete" before my 3 month PS+ membership expires and it's back to offline-only for me, so that's sapping all the fun out of the game. Also, when that deadline hits, all that work to make multiple different kinds of characters for specialized PVP will have sorta gone down the drain. I'll still have ENJOYED the PVP will it lasted, of course, but afterwards those online-only characters will have to wait in limbo until Sony comes around and stops requiring PS+ for multiplayer or until something else gets me to pay for another brief membership period. Sadly the latter is far more likely.

But while I'm gradually cooling off from it, I'm still mostly playing Bloodborne, and mostly having a real blast. I beat the game at the lowest level possible, and I made a video of defeating the "final boss" to share in that achievement. ^^ I have a total of 8 different characters that I play in alteration, from the character I'll never stop leveling, to different classes, to characters that play identically but which I've stopped leveling so they can play the game at different stages. For a game where the biggest criticism is commonly "there isn't enough of it, we need more of it", it never ceases to amaze me just how deep it is and have far down the rabbit hole it entreats me to travel.

I picked up a couple titles during Steam's latest Summer Sale, so besides Dota2 I'll have a few other things to enjoy when Bloodborne FINALLY bores me... assuming my code for The Last of Us REMASTERED that came with the PS4 doesn't beat them to it. =)

Valkirya Chronicles is rather fun, it was fairly normal challengewise, until I got to the Seventh battle, and holy shit that one was extremely punishing. Even when I was about to beat it it made me skip a beat because the Magna Tank almost destroyed the Eldeweiss in one hit (The Eldeweiss Tank getting destroyed means automatic game over) on the very last turn. THis Hybrid of Turnbased RPG Tactics with Real time TPS is rather interesting. With some additional Unit types it could get really hectic.

Too bad the two sequels were moved to PSP....

Last edited:
Something finally comes along that has distracted me from Bloodborne (for now): Banished! =D

Considering it's essentially a medieval Sims game, it's delightfully engrossing and engaging. It's a real challenge getting a settlement together without everyone dying off in one winter from starvation nor freezing to death despite their full stomachs. But once you get your village established and you pass the first decade mark, the challenge shifts towards growing your community to prevent it from dying out in a generation or two without enough children to propagate future generations, but not growing it too quickly so as to deplete all your resources and die out in a single season just like when you were first getting started. The balancing act and watching the little guys perform their jobs and the joy of seeing a civilization thrive from start to finish is a neat and tidy package that has really been keeping me enthralled for the past couple days. I deliberately avoided buying this when it first came out and waiting for a sale, and I'm extremely satisfies with my choice, now! ^^

Boy, that had a lot of "e" words strewn about in there... Should I said it was, perhaps, excessive? Eh? Eh? =D

No joke my retired father loves the Dead Island series, he's currently playing Dying Light in the other room. For a guy who hates horror genre, he sure likes killing them stupid zombies. But he mentioned similar things to what you said, likes the exploration and crafting mechanics.

You have an awesome dad! ;)

I just finished Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Meh, it was okay, but the companion quests were rather lazy, and also bugged as all hell. Maybe "bugged" isn't even the right word, I got the feeling that the scripting was fundamentally bad so that it's unfixable. Let's not even mention the Neera romance, the dialogue options were so cringeworthy that I had to pick the "clueless" options (basically acting as if my character doesn't even understand why Neera is talking to him). What really infuriated me, however, was the fact that they put their own shitty soundtrack in Baldur's Gate city. What the fuck, part of the charm was that soundtrack, specifically the one that played during the day (the night soundtrack they left alone, I guess that's something). They also made that the final area only has a soundtrack when the final battle is on. Again, part of the charm of that final area was that the main theme was playing whilst preparing for the battle against Sarevok.

So yeah, if anyone is thinking about buying and playing Enhanced Edition, don't bother. Get BGtutu instead, and install the banter pack - that's actually okay written, unlike most of the new content Beamdog put in. I'm gonna play BG Enhanced Edition 2 now, maybe that's actually worth it, I just have to avoid the new NPCs - apparently, they actually managed to make them even worse. I just hope they didn't fuck with the soundtrack this time around.

I just finished Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Meh, it was okay, but the companion quests were rather lazy, and also bugged as all hell. Maybe "bugged" isn't even the right word, I got the feeling that the scripting was fundamentally bad so that it's unfixable. Let's not even mention the Neera romance, the dialogue options were so cringeworthy that I had to pick the "clueless" options (basically acting as if my character doesn't even understand why Neera is talking to him). What really infuriated me, however, was the fact that they put their own shitty soundtrack in Baldur's Gate city. What the fuck, part of the charm was that soundtrack, specifically the one that played during the day (the night soundtrack they left alone, I guess that's something). They also made that the final area only has a soundtrack when the final battle is on. Again, part of the charm of that final area was that the main theme was playing whilst preparing for the battle against Sarevok.

So yeah, if anyone is thinking about buying and playing Enhanced Edition, don't bother. Get BGtutu instead, and install the banter pack - that's actually okay written, unlike most of the new content Beamdog put in. I'm gonna play BG Enhanced Edition 2 now, maybe that's actually worth it, I just have to avoid the new NPCs - apparently, they actually managed to make them even worse. I just hope they didn't fuck with the soundtrack this time around.

That's really disappointing, thanks for the heads up.

When you see what happened to the BG "legacy" with Brotherhood of Steel, what made you think new BG would somehow be something you ought to look forward to?

I played both, they did a great job bringing the game uptodate technically, added few fixes, but overall little new content compared to the quantity\verity\quality of mods available for the originals.

I recommend that you stop by shsforums and check if there is version of BWP (Big world project) for the Enhanced version of the game. Its an automated program that allows you easily and quickly install a huge amount of mods without worrying about compatibility.

When you see what happened to the BG "legacy" with Brotherhood of Steel, what made you think new BG would somehow be something you ought to look forward to?
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was marketed as "incline", simply a renovated Baldur's Gate. I thought people who are willing to renew Baldur's Gate wouldn't tamper with the soundtrack and that their added companions would be less terrible. Seriously, that line "I am Adoy and Adoy is me" is right up with "Steel be with you" in my book. I think my memory is trying to block some of it, I only just remembered that you could tell Neera "make me a sammich" in one of the romance conversations. Holy shit.

I played both, they did a great job bringing the game uptodate technically, added few fixes, but overall little new content compared to the quantity\verity\quality of mods available for the originals.

I recommend that you stop by shsforums and check if there is version of BWP (Big world project) for the Enhanced version of the game. Its an automated program that allows you easily and quickly install a huge amount of mods without worrying about compatibility.

The only mod I'm really interested in is the banter pack for BG1, and I doubt that would work with Enhanced Edition because of the new shitty NPCs.

So Arkham Knight has been pulled from Steam. That's gotta be one for the history books, a AAA release pulled completely from Steam after a day. That's hilarious.

Back