General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Uh... I SERIOUSLY doubt that could be considered "best story". That really goes to AC. The best thing AO did was do Bane RIGHT. How hard was it to design a hulking yet sophisticated threat for Batman to face down in a boiler room? Taking up a significant degree of the plot of AO and being deviously clever as well as physically superior (and charmingly eloquent, like he's supposed to be) were all wonderful strokes for the character. The rest? Eh...

I went from being skeptical of Troy Baker's Joker to liking it to QUICKLY disliking it over the course of just a couple cutscenes. Really, really overdone and unenjoyable. It was just too obvious that he was mimicking a caricature of Hamil's Joker. Whereas Mark Hamil performed a wide range when voicing the Joker, so that the character would have distinctive changes in tone and mood and pitch, Baker just focused on one fraction of that performance and gave a half-baked rendition of it. I got sick of it FAST. Joker was excellent in AA and AC. I just couldn't stand him in AO (the total character, not just the voice). Total opposite of what happened with Bane... XD

The story of City is just a formless clusterfuck, it's a satisfactory clusterfuck of action true, but in Origins Batman, Gordon, Alfred, Joker and Bane all have an arc, the parade of villains was better justified and it had the best boss battles in the game (altho, that's not hard, what with Asylum only havign 2 Boss Fights, City having only 3 and Knight having no Boss Fights) while in City it's just Batman trying to find an antidote for a poison in his blood, and then he just stumbles upon fights, Hugo Strange was also extremely disappointing as a character and Ra's is barely in the game before dying. I mean you can't even punch Strange, Batman punches him in a cutscene, while in Origins you actually get a Beatdown segement with the Joker at the end that is entirely controlled by the player.

I'll say the best stories in the Arkham series are:
1. Origins
2. Asylum
3. City
4. Knight.
It's basically in chronological order.

The story of City is just a formless clusterfuck, it's a satisfactory clusterfuck of action true, but in Origins Batman, Gordon, Alfred, Joker and Bane all have an arc, the parade of villains was better justified and it had the best boss battles in the game (altho, that's not hard, what with Asylum only havign 2 Boss Fights, City having only 3 and Knight having no Boss Fights) while in City it's just Batman trying to find an antidote for a poison in his blood, and then he just stumbles upon fights, Hugo Strange was also extremely disappointing as a character and Ra's is barely in the game before dying. I mean you can't even punch Strange, Batman punches him in a cutscene, while in Origins you actually get a Beatdown segement with the Joker at the end that is entirely controlled by the player.

I'll say the best stories in the Arkham series are:
1. Origins
2. Asylum
3. City
4. Knight.
It's basically in chronological order.

You must be the first person I met who likes Origins the best. Haven't played it myself.

I just beat Earthbound for the dozenth or so time. I've been playing it for a week or two (I do this every few years), then right before beating it, I find out Shigeru Iwata died. I actually took the time to see the different jobs he took on as the credits rolled, thinking over the kind message Itoi posted earlier about Iwata's passing. Considering how much the series has been on my mind in recent years, even more so now, a ton of old memories came flooding back from my childhood - buying it in stores, seeing that giant box with the strategy guide and scratch and sniff stickers, playing the game with my best friend, beating it, then watching those same credits - it almost felt like coming full circle.

Last edited by a moderator:
*Satoru Iwata you mean.

Well all in all I think Origins actually improved i na lot of things, like the investigation segments.They weren't just scanning a spot in the scenery and then follow a trail of conveniently spilled blood, but it was something all CSI like where you reconstructed the crim scene and you had to rewind and go forward to determined what happened. Combat and predator gameplay was the same as always, simple but fun.
Pros in Origins:
-Better Story.
-Improved investigation segments
-better flow to finding the side content
-The asymmetrical Multiplayer mode was actually fun
Cons:
-Bugs, lots of them.

Last edited:
AC's story wasn't about finding a cure for a poison. That was a motivating factor that pushed Batman forward, just as trying to find Titan before Joker got his hands on it was a push in AA. AC was about solving the mystery about Arkham City, just as AA was about solving the mystery of Joker's plans in Arkham Asylum.

Whereas in AA you were thrown into a small place you suddenly and conveniently couldn't leave in order to try and foil the plans of the Joker, and doing so required you to discover what those plans even were, in AC you were cast into this place that had been alluded to in the previous game, with a basic understanding of what it was, only to realize that something larger was at work, and you needed to find out what. You go from trying to figure out what Strange is up to, to being sidetracked by the Joker, getting mixed up in the ever-changing turf wars of the crime lords, to being sidetracked by Freeze, to discovering the ruins of Gotham beneath Arkham City and seeing that the conflict is being fed by Strange, to confronting Strange and realizing it was Ra's and Joker separately pulling the strings all along, conspiracies conspiring against conspiracies, ending with a final fight against a character you never saw coming. It wasn't an impeccable and flawless work of fiction, but it was really interesting, and WAY more intricate and thought-provoking than its predecessor was.

And... 3 boss fights? If I were ONLY to count the distinct fights: Two Face, Hallucination, Freeze (my favorite, by the way), Deadshot, Penguin, Grundy, Faux Joker, Riddler, Clayface, that's WAY more than 3. And that's not even counting every boss, because I didn't wanna bother looking it up to acquire a more full list. True, plenty of them were from the side missions, so they weren't mandatory fights, but they were still boss fights. Taking down the Riddler in AC was pretty cool, and all of his puzzles in AC were the best in the series. The gigantic puzzle of Batman's hallucination where he had to properly glide from platform to platform and fight a hallucination of Ra's along the way until a final big-ass fight was also really awesome. But, as I mentioned, my favorite of the boss fights was Mr. Freeze, because of how the nature of the battle emphasized needing to adapt to the changing situation, and at the hardest difficulty you had to strategize your attacks in a certain order, otherwise some of Freeze's countermeasures would lock you out of some attacks you hadn't use yet, and you needed to use ALL of your takedowns to beat him, so that was a nice difference from difficulty to difficulty, as well!

God Damn, AC was awesome. I'm shocked when I hear people say AA was better, because I don't know what warped measuring stick they were using to come up with this. It was GOOD, and it was so good that it spawned this entire branch of the Batman canon (dubbed the "Arkhamverse") and a great game series with a growing history to it. But AC improved upon AA's shortcomings in every conceivable way. But AO being the best? NO ONE comes away from playing the first 3 games and feeling like that. You really are the first...

AO didn't improve upon anything (apart from Bane being GOOD, as I previously gushed), most of its map was just a recycle, it took a POSSIBLE Joker origin story that both previous titles made proper homage of The Killing Joke by emphasizing that they were all just stories in the Joker's head and that he was making them all up, and suddenly making it canon in AO (which is a big no-no), and so on. More gadgets, only this time that doesn't make any sense, because it's a prequel and not a sequel, so where did those gadgets go? More unique boss fights, nothing wrong with that, except they were ALL just boss FIGHTS instead of a mix of fights and puzzles. A new way of approaching crime scenes, also a good idea. A much, MUCH better Bane, absolutely great. But those things don't make AO the best in the series by any feasible stretch of the imagination. AO was predictable, and part of this was because it was a prequel (Assault on Arkham has a similar issue, in that you know Joker, Harley, and Deadshot will survive) but part of it was just being predictable. Even before the final fight with Bane, you KNOW exactly how it's going to go down. You know Batman is going to use his very conveniently acquired defibrillator knuckles to send Bane into cardiac arrest, then reverse the process so that no one dies. You cannot NOT see that coming. Meanwhile, the twist at the end of the City comes out of nowhere, and the final cutscene and its consequences are COMPLETELY out of left field, not to mention one of the best game endings ever. ALSO a haunting and delightful cameo postmortem song during the credits, but that's just added flavor.

I'm of the mind that AO sits at the bottom of the pecking order, but I don't have a problem with the times I see people ranking it above AA or AK. But I have NEVER seen anyone place it at the top, and considering all the pieces of the puzzle, it really baffles me that anyone would. AC all the way. AK's biggest shortcomings is being a "next-gen" effort. Too many games this early into the life cycle of a new console focus on bigger and prettier, and they end up sacrificing content to accomplish this. Bloodborne has the same shortcoming. Not as long as it could be because a lot of the game's resources were put into prettifying it. GREAT game, sure, but games tend to be better designed and considerably larger when the consoles they were made for are older and have been out long enough for devs to "figure them out". This has NOTHING to do with the colossal fuck-up of SOMEHOW making the PC version of AK the worst and buggiest, but that's a separate discussion entirely..... XD

Deadshot's Boss fight is taking him dow a bunch of times in predator mode, same with Two face, those aren't really boss fights, penguin is a single punch to the face and riddler is finding trophies. None of those are really boss fights, or if they are, they aren't the best boss fights.
I forgot about the Ra's Al Ghoul boss fight, then that would make it 4 actual boss fights (Mr Freeze, the best one, Clayface, Ra's and Solomon Grundy) the rest where either 1 punch boss fights, cutscenes or just a regular gameplay segment with boosted health.

Arkham Asylum was the best title in the franchise because it didn't dillute itself with a superfluous dioram sandbox or collecthatons. It was a much better designed game. It was more of a 3D metroidvania than Grand Theft Batman. Origins just has the better story. I didn't say it was the best game. It does suffer from the things that dilluted City in the first place (altho with better pacing).

The story in Asylum was also a little more involved, Batman is trapped there because the Joker has the prencint busy with a bomb thread, his Batmobile is busted, the bridge to the main land is out and the Joker has Gordon and the staff of Arkham Hostage. That's more than enough to make it unescapable. Also there is a better sense of dread, Batman starts out with very few of his gadgets as he was in what would have been a routine delivery of a prisoner.

I still liked City as a fun action romp, I am not saying it's a bad game, but I think Asylum did the level design better and Origins the story better.

Last edited:
Just because there were no life bars or because they were extended predator puzzles doesn't mean they weren't boss fights. The Riddler WAS a boss fight in AC, and you had to acquire all of his trophies to unlock the boss fight. It may have been a puzzle, but it was a boss fight. Faux Joker (disguised Clayface) was a boss fight, even though you couldn't knock him out, and it was essentially just a really big fight with tons of goons. Penguin was also more than 1 punch to the face, although it was effectively 1 boss fight segmented into 2 separate fights with a MAJOR boss fight in between the 2 segments. It was still a boss fight. (Did I mention fuck this keyboard?)

What made AA suffer from "no boss fights" was the fact that the boss fights were all effectively the same thing. The half-formed Titan was no different than the full Titans, which were identical to Bane except that you had to take him down 3 times. The only distinct fights were Ivy and Joker, and both of them were just fighting goons while periodically addressing the leader with a gimmick. You weren't actually fighting them. Still, they were distinct boss fights, unlike all the others.

AA also didn't have a somehow better explanation for why Batman was stuck there than AC did. Both had effectively the same situations. AC's was just MUCH bigger (not just in scale of the world to be explored, but the scope of the situation Batman had to uncover) and he wasn't voluntarily there. While it was a pity you couldn't visit a Bat Cave of any sort (which was admittedly a stretch, in AA), getting items via supply drops just made perfect sense anyway, so it was okay. The sandbox elements weren't any different from AC and AA, they were just more varied and there was more of them in AC. They were better as a result. AC wasn't watered down by any measure at all.

Last edited:
I already made reference to Asylum having only 2 kinds of boss fights, but as I also said what Asylum did better was the level design on account of having no empty dioram open world.

The level design was just fine in AC. You had this gigantic open place to explore that wasn't arbitrarily segmented by a cliff face or really big wall for no logical reason, unlike with AA. Then when you explored interiors and underground spaces, they interwove with each other in really clever ways, such that tracking where you were and where you would end up became a delightful personal puzzle. Note that these weren't strictly left up to players to deal with, since the game still had maps to help you if you got too lost. AC's level design wasn't just fine, it was great. Because it didn't suffer the same drawbacks as AA, it's easily better than its predecessor.

Fallout 2, with the RP and my own mod. Haven't been playing anything else for a couple of months now.
One of these days I'm going to have to play through Fallout 1 again though. I can barely remember any of it!

So how far along are you? I take it that debacle with Xarn and Navarro and reloading to Vault 13 was your most recent run maybe?

The level design was just fine in AC. You had this gigantic open place to explore that wasn't arbitrarily segmented by a cliff face or really big wall for no logical reason, unlike with AA. Then when you explored interiors and underground spaces, they interwove with each other in really clever ways, such that tracking where you were and where you would end up became a delightful personal puzzle. Note that these weren't strictly left up to players to deal with, since the game still had maps to help you if you got too lost. AC's level design wasn't just fine, it was great. Because it didn't suffer the same drawbacks as AA, it's easily better than its predecessor.

No they were segmented by huge walls with turrets and there was nothing to do on it other than collecting trophies, which is N64 style level design. Traversing the map was so tedious they had to give Batman super flying powers, put random thugs with guns on rooftops just to fill in space. That is textbook bad design.

No they were segmented by huge walls with turrets and there was nothing to do on it other than collecting trophies, which is N64 style level design. Traversing the map was so tedious they had to give Batman super flying powers, put random thugs with guns on rooftops just to fill in space. That is textbook bad design.

No. You're wrong and you should feel bad.

Arkham's City weakness was the titular city, they should've ignored the "sandbox" trend and instead come up with a better locale, not on tall boxes to sand on.

I bought Dark Souls 2 to see what the fuss was all about. Update is going to take awhile.

I bought Dark Souls 2 to see what the fuss was all about. Update is going to take awhile.
Uh... refresh my memory. Did you play DeS and DkS first? Cause they're KINDA essential to play in order to truly understand what the "fuss" about DkS2 was about...

I played Demon Souls. I understand the games and I have read up on their differences a bit. I just played Dark Souls 2 a little while ago. It plays about the same.

Gorky 17, great turn-based tactical game from 1999.

Excellent plot, good graphics and realistic sounds, scarce ammunition and healing items, satisfying combat mechanics comparable to Shadowrun Returns except there are much more weapons and enemy types in Gorky 17, decent RPG elements in terms of promotions and training based on experience points gained in fight.

The only shortcoming is that hardware acceleration on my present video card is not supported, so I'm forced to play in software rendered mode.

Don't remember if I posted in here
But oh well

Been replaying Jedi Academy and Outcast for the hundredth time; these games never get old
As for newer games, I've been playing Dust: An Elysian Tail and I will shortly be trying my hand at Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Back