Hands on look at new skyrim "remaster"

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by TransgenderVaultDeweller, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Vergil

Vergil Banned

Jul 8, 2014
    Oh of course all of Skyrimjob's villains suck ass but Miraak is hardly the worst of them is all I'm saying and his reasons for why he is were totally wrong.

2. Arnust

Arnust Maybe you've seen it, maybe, in a dream...

Feb 2, 2016
    Imo, a "remaster" can't be called other thing than "Next Gen" port unless there are enough changes and additions like in Dark Souls 2's "Scholar Of The Firs Sin Edition".
    Whatever you think of it, you like the changes from Vanilla, or don't support that the "Next-Gen" version of the graphics came until this version (imo the graphics sucked becouse it wasn't really supposed to be out on PS3/X360 so they did whatever they could). The updated graphics do look gorgeous though, compared to the original.
    They changed most, like 90% of the enemy placement for it to be more fair and lore-friendly, added new items, integrated the DLC better (by having keys to open the areas), changed item placement, added new ways through the game becouse of Key item placement and locked doors alike.
    Multiplayer allowed more summons and invades, and the translations were improved upon overall.
    And the PC version of this one is silky n'smooth for a change, something they did not learn for Dark Souls 3... :(

3. CaptJ

CaptJ The Rival of Roquefort Hall

Jan 19, 2016
    I wonder how FO:NV be like if they rebalanced everything under the assumption that all the DLC are present. Integrate the DLCs better like having neither the NCR or Caesar's Legion forgive the nuking of their respective cities. Incorporate some cut content.
    FO:NV doesn't feel a finished product unlike Skyrim which feels like the devs implement most of what they wanted. Bethesda's biggest fault isn't being lazy. Who else would think about putting so many voiced names for Codsworth say out loud while having it run in single digit frame rates?

4. Arnust

Feb 2, 2016
    Tbh Souls DLC pre-launch patches balance it already and change stuff when they're out. I meant that they added keys so you have to scratch your head a bit to enter the DLC main area, in the non-SOTFS or Ps3/X360 versions of it the Keys just spawn in your inventory.
    Forgot to add that this edition adds a boss to the ending sequence and that there is a new ending.

But yeah, this kind of treatment could be good for a lot of games, more like Director's Cut editions

5. DirtyOldShoe

DirtyOldShoe Some kind of lucky

Dec 15, 2015
    That's all good and well, but who here is excited for the Remaster, based on the videos I've watched, It's like a whole new world!

6. SarcasticGoodGuy

SarcasticGoodGuy *R O T T E N*

Aug 31, 2016
    skullcandy + that = Great material.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  7. eissa

eissa Altáriel, Lady of Radiant Garland

Jan 7, 2016

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  8. DirtyOldShoe

Dec 15, 2015
    Found this on Nexus, supports my theory:
    https://forums.nexusmods.com/index....yrim-paid-mods-after-fallout-4/#entry43594040
    http://www.idigitaltimes.com/bethesda-plans-revisit-skyrim-paid-mods-after-fallout-4-459131

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  9. MercenarySnake

MercenarySnake Kept you waiting huh?

Aug 22, 2015
    If they do release paid mods again they are only going to promote the pirating of mods which will lose them money, sure there will be people that will still pay for them but they will be in the minority. Besides the modders were only getting a 25% cut for work they did not Bethesda, greedy greedy they are. Who the hell would use the Steam Workshop when you have the Nexus anyways?

10. DirtyOldShoe

Dec 15, 2015
    1.) It would be hosted on Bethesda.net, eliminating the middleman Valve.
    2.) Bethesda would be able to collect a bigger profit as Valve is not in the picture.
    3.) You can pirate PC mods from Nexus already, and Steam and Bethesda.net But there is no way to pirate Console mods. Console players would still be required to pay a fee.
    4.) Mod authors that want to sell their mods and not have them pirated would have to host two versions, one for free and one for a cost, meaning that Console.. erm. Xbox players get fucked even more.
    5.) The Xbox crowd already pissed all over the modding community, most mod authors are poor and won't give a fuck about them.
    6.) Bethesda holds all the cards.

11. MercenarySnake

MercenarySnake Kept you waiting huh?

Aug 22, 2015
    Haha who wants to go through their poorly constructed mobile friendly site Bethesda.AIDS for that besides the console users which don't have a choice?

Well until they lose them when nobody wants to give a shit about them anymore.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  12. 0wing

0wing Все умрут, а я волномут

Mar 23, 2015
    The mod thieves, of course... Assuming it's something worth stealing for PS4, though.

Word on the nexus that bethesda repacked the resources into newer format, so any mod with packed in bsa-archives resources also won't work.

13. AgentBJ09

AgentBJ09 A Smooth-Skin

Jul 9, 2015
    On that note, have you guys noticed the "Unofficial Patch" is already out for this remaster?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/266/?

That means they didn't fix a damn thing that mod did, in five years time. What a joke.

Fuck you Bethesda.

• [Like] [Like] x 9
  14. Arnust

Feb 2, 2016
    Does it really have its own Nexus Page? Of course, it makes all the sense, but...
    The single person that bothered to create the page will have to see the Mod scene go to hell through it.
    Irony nstuff

15. DirtyOldShoe

Dec 15, 2015
    "You're getting it for free, you have nothing to complain about!"

"Well, the fact that the game was dumbed down graphically 5 years ago so that it could be supported on console, broke lipsync because it couldn't run on PS3, applied patches for PS3 to PC that do not benefit PC in anyway, only cripple it. Then 5 years later, go through all this effort for console users again. Fuck you. I'm sick of getting a Bethesda console port to PC games. I can't vote with my wallet this time, but I can the next time."

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  16. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    We're talking about Bethesda here, do you really think they spend so much debth into this?

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  17. Vergil

Vergil Banned

Jul 8, 2014
    To be fair with TES they often collaborate with outside writers like Kirkbride and allnof his writings to draw from. Its why the lore stuff they basically got from him is so good but the OC stuff like the actually nitty gritty quests and general dialog are so shit.

• [Like] [Like] x 5
  18. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    Yeah, but is that your interpreation of Miraak, or is there an actuall hint that he's supposd to be this 'look-what-the-player-could-have-been!' entity? It just strikes me as odd that Bethesda would do something like that, since when they do it, they usually do it like a shovel over your head. Anyway, as others already said, Bethesda couldn't do great villains, if it hit them like a sledge hammer.

I would say, a good villain? Probably not, there are plenty out there. But a really compelling villain? That's fucking difficult in my book. A lot more then making compleing good characters. But how do you write a genocidal maniac to be actually a compeling character where you can follow his motivations from a reader/player point of view? I think that requires some real skill in writing and charactersiation, or you will just end up with a badly written Sauron type of character, and that is worse then a black-and-white characater who's simply in to killing stuff, because he's Satan man. The point is, how do you get someone to have sympathy for the Devil? See, characters like Gabriel from Gods Army, now that is an awesome character, who you just love to hate, because of the great acting and narrative behind it. Dagoth Ur is also a really great Villain, I actually would have loved a chance to side with him, just to see what might happen - but, well that's a different story alltogether.

• [Like] [Like] x 5
  19. SarcasticGoodGuy

SarcasticGoodGuy *R O T T E N*

Aug 31, 2016
    @Crni Vuk I see you (rightly) called out Sauron as being a bad villain. I don't want to derail this thread but I would like to hear your thoughts on LotR.

20. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    Well, he is a boring villain and I am not sure if there is much to say about him, but he fits the story and narrative of the LotR, and I take such a villain over one that is badly writen with debth for the sake of debth. I mean LotR is as black and white as you can get, which is 'ok' for this kind of fantasy. Don't forget, LotR was pretty exceptional some 60 years ago. But for me the real villain isn't even Sauron, but the one Ring, just as how the humans and elves are not the real heroes, but the hobbits. Not really super deep, I know, but you have to give Tolking at least that much, that he isn't just doing shiny knight against super bad dragons here.