Hands on look at new skyrim "remaster"

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by TransgenderVaultDeweller, Oct 23, 2016.

1. SarcasticGoodGuy

SarcasticGoodGuy *R O T T E N*

Aug 31, 2016
    I give the books props for world building and lore, which is something I value. More than the main plot? No, but I give credit where credit is due. A few of the characters needed a bit more depth, but I was pretty impressed when Boromir died- killing off probably the non Hobbit with the most personality, at least to me.

Ahh shit.

2. CT Phipps

CT Phipps Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Sep 17, 2016
    This is kind of a bizarro world where I think Miraak is a shallow one-note villain while Vergil is defending his depth.

As for Sauron, I view him in the context of being an obstacle for the character development to be measured in the protagonists. It's like the Walking Dead. The zombies don't really matter as characters but their presence forces the heroes to the limits and serves as the forge on which they are battered.

Which makes him a great villain but not a great character.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  3. Throatpunch

Throatpunch Banned

Apr 14, 2016
    That guy at the beginning looked so hyped to play the same fucking game.

4. Funny how streamers like @Showpenisformoney, @Completefag74 and ball licking "guide" and "news" (invented, DO NOT) channels and streamers got the game early for toootaly unbiased publicity.
    But modding channels, all levels of Bethesda apologism, like Gopher don't get one. Not even MxrMods got one lol.
    More hints of what's going to happen...

OH and absolutely zero early game copies for media in Spain. Becouse advertising in a country with a lingering economical crisis wouldn't be profitable!
    Or becouse Bethesda ES has less personal than my high school cleaning department and are there just for uploading the trailers to YouTube or something

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. Vergil

Vergil Banned

Jul 8, 2014
    I'm not saying he's an especially or exceptionally deep character. I'm saying he's not worse than Harkon or Alduin.
    He's still shit but he's at least shit with some sprinkles on it.

6. DirtyOldShoe

DirtyOldShoe Some kind of lucky

Dec 15, 2015
    Todd Howard:
    "We make the kind of games we want to play."

Me:
    "Cool bro, Now can you make the kind of games that you used to, that everyone enjoyed. That would be great."

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  7. CaptJ

CaptJ The Rival of Roquefort Hall

Jan 19, 2016
    Isn't that the literally definition of an antagonist?
    A sense of scale isn't really appreciated enough in world of polarizing opinions. Then again fuck those guys who say "I'm not saying X is a bad game." after giving many reasons why X is bad.
    I have a feeling that that was a lie and they are just making games that they think would sell. As for Todd Howard, I think that it is result of attributing success to one person like with George Lucas. Is there any proof that he was a net good to the development the games that people liked?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 6
  8. CT Phipps

CT Phipps Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Sep 17, 2016
    George Lucas nixed the idea of a video game where you played a Wookie guerilla warrior vs. The Secret Apprentice of Vader.

Albeit, he also nixed TIE FIGHTER 2 because he was worried about glorifying Space Nazis.

9. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Salvador Dali said it the best:
    With little editing it could be said the same about gaming.

• [Like] [Like] x 8
  10. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Fallout 1 was the Venus. Fallout 4 is the toad ...

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  11. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Staff Member Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    First thing I noticed is that I can't change the resolution. Stuck at 720p. Yay.
    Can only change it in (borderless) windowed mode. Wtf.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  12. MercenarySnake

MercenarySnake Kept you waiting huh?

Aug 22, 2015
    Wow this is Bioshock remaster levels of bad. Does the Skyrim Remaster replace the legendary edition or is it a separate entry? I'm on my laptop so I can't check myself at the moment.

13. 0wing

0wing Все умрут, а я волномут

Mar 23, 2015
    It goes as separate game.

14. Hassknecht

Aug 16, 2010
    It works just like full screen in borderless window mode, but it's still weird as hell.
    Anyway, texture quality is a lot better, but since they didn't really give a shit about the low poly models it still doesn't look that great. Animations still suck, and of course they still can't do proper lighting and shadows. Why can't firepits cast shadows, seriously? As soon as you enter a building you just don't have any shadows anymore. Blech.

15. eissa

eissa Altáriel, Lady of Radiant Garland

Jan 7, 2016
    How's the performance so far?

16. Hassknecht

Aug 16, 2010
    Fine, straight 60 fps with one or two dips to 55 on Ultra quality.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  17. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Modders will fix it.
    But this time, you will pay Bethesda for it ;).

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  18. DirtyOldShoe

Dec 15, 2015
    I won't link to it because of a promise I made. But the bain of NMA actually made a decent review of Special Edition.
    search youtube for
    Skyrim Special Edition REVIEW - It's Good To Be Back
    I hate to give him views, but he actually recommends not buying it multiple times, insults Fallout 4 and says that he won't review mods in his review of Special edition because the modders and mods should be reviewed on their own. Mods are not included with Special edition and it's rating should be based on what you actually get.

He also had the copy for 2 weeks. I think Bethesda's dick might have fallen out of his mouth.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  19. Well even the most deluded person still holds some common sense.
    I quote
    - (Upbeat tone) There is still no FoV option.
    And goes to the next point whichever it was.

Well you have the FoV mod alright suckers

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  20. DirtyOldShoe

Dec 15, 2015
    This is somewhat true, but there are always exceptions to the case.
    @CT Phipps