Heres what I don't get.

Dad didnt want to let the Enclave put their hands on Project Purity because as said early in the game dear old Dad was a friend to BoS, and at the same time enemy to the Enclave.

Guess the whole point of this little twist is to give the player the "reason" to hate the Enclave, even though you have no idea if they wouldn't make a better world.

That, and also it gets rid of a liability - Dad. Having that kind of character around is problematic to the developers. You know, they would have to think about what to do with him that doesn't concern ending his life, which is hard for our beloved Beth boys.

gregvs3 said:
On the other hand, the idea that he is an enclave deserter makes a lot of sense, but still has some issues that leave me confused. To me, It makes no sense that he left the enclave because he found out about eden's plan to "cleanse" the wasteland, since he hadn't developed project purity yet. Even still, if Eden had his plan that far back in history, than wouldn't Autumn have still been opposed to it back then, and wouldn't James know that?

Richardson also had the same plan. Maybe James used to work on the Enclave's cleansing project in the FO2 days and now wants to redeem himself? Of course, there is nothing to indicate it in the game itself, simply making up stuff that would make more sense than it does now.

What's not to get? Fallout just isn't Fallout without LOLDRAMA.
That's why someone has to die in the end- either you or that lady who just wouldn't stay in the kitchen.
Want to avoid your destiny by sending in Fawkes or the ghoul? Well, you can't! You think power armor and rad-x/rad-aways protect against radiation? Well, they aren't!
Want to know why? Because LOLDRAMA and epicness. Because bethesda.

Ausir said:
gregvs3 said:
On the other hand, the idea that he is an enclave deserter makes a lot of sense, but still has some issues that leave me confused. To me, It makes no sense that he left the enclave because he found out about eden's plan to "cleanse" the wasteland, since he hadn't developed project purity yet. Even still, if Eden had his plan that far back in history, than wouldn't Autumn have still been opposed to it back then, and wouldn't James know that?

Richardson also had the same plan. Maybe James used to work on the Enclave's cleansing project in the FO2 days and now wants to redeem himself? Of course, there is nothing to indicate it in the game itself, simply making up stuff that would make more sense than it does now.

I hate games were I have to come up with own ideas and explanations only that something works in a game. It just somewhat only shows to me at least that the original concept or idea is flawed. It should not be the players responsibility to come up with own imaginations for the plott or quests.

The only reasonable explanation I can think of why Dad wouldn't just let them have it because of 'freedom'. It's possible that he knew the Enclave would only give it to who they wanted to, and it wouldn't be free, clean water for the entire wasteland (which was Mom's dream).

Then again, who is to assume that the BOS wouldn't share? Or that the Outcasts wouldn't rock in and take it over. Or, hell, that Super Mutants wouldn't just break it again?

I agree, nothing was ever explained why the Enclave -shouldn't- have it. All we have is speculation.

Interestingly a few topics have popped up on the official forums asking the same thing.
Players new to the Fallout universe seem to be having difficulty identifying the Enclave as evil. Afterall they are the U.S government, have the best tech and facilities and aren't actually evil apart from possibly Eden who is the only one promoting genocide.
It appears Bethesda was banking too much on the players knowing about the Enclave in Fallout 2 which is pretty lazy on their part.

Then again the entire main plot is and your father dosen't help buy dying in a really stupid way, never really explained why there are controls to flood the chamber with radiation, especially as all that is needed is a rad suit and a couple of rad x to allow the Enclave back in.
Well except that it is maaaagic radiation that kills everyone who isn't equipped with an injectable deus ex machina.

Alphadrop said:
Interestingly a few topics have popped up on the official forums asking the same thing.

ha Ha HA! This is going to be so funny :D I can imagine Todd speaking about it:

Todd: Because...ehh...because Enclave is...evil?

Sorry for that out-of-place post, I couldn't stop myself.

Other problems I have with the ending: Once Jefferson memorial is secured... Autumn is taken care of (killing or just letting go for later) - why not just hold off on activating project purity until it is safe to do so. What's the rush? if the population survived the radiated water supply this long, what's a week or so until it is safe to figure out what would cause the overload? Is it going to overload anyways if we don't activate it right then, and if so why doesn't it ruin the purification device afterwards?

GAWD i *hate* the main story of this game, the ending is the worst - the more I think about it, the worse it gets.

the problem was that the enclave wanted to seize the tech for themselves and for their own agenda, BoS wanted to give clean water the every one, thats it.

james thought that his life work should be for everyone, and that it was worth giving his life to make sure that the enclave didnt get it.
he failed miserably, and why didnt they let me kill all the enclave occupation troops -.-
had like 800 stimpaks and over 200 of each drug, if i took a behemoth with the fire sword in the hardest difficulty, i can take them.

What's not to get? Fallout just isn't Fallout without LOLDRAMA.
That's why someone has to die in the end- either you or that lady who just wouldn't stay in the kitchen.
Want to avoid your destiny by sending in Fawkes or the ghoul? Well, you can't! You think power armor and rad-x/rad-aways protect against radiation? Well, they aren't!
Want to know why? Because LOLDRAMA and epicness. Because bethesda.

lol, FF7 reference? Which is a rip off of PS IV reference, that of which got started by PS II?

Alphadrop said:
It appears Bethesda was banking too much on the players knowing about the Enclave in Fallout 2 which is pretty lazy on their part.

It is also not their only mistake in regards to gamers who have not played the first two games, the GECK's nature is hardly elaborated upon, from the information the game gives you, you can only infer that it would somehow "rebuild society" and help with Project Purity, there is no real reasoning behind its apparent power (which as I detail later on in this post, makes no sense).
Someone who isn't a fan of the series wouldn't know the full capabilities of the GECK, nor would they understand just how advanced a piece of technology it is (even if the tribals of Arroyo overestimated its potential), to them it's simply a random artifact to be obtained.

The description for the GECK provided ingame is not only contradictory towards canon but in some bizarre counterpoint to its original form is actually a sort of terraforming device that seems to kill the user upon activation. That is the only indication of the GECK's capabilities that the player receives, yet it's still entirely fluff without previous knowledge.

Rev. Layle said:
...why not just hold off on activating project purity until it is safe to do so. What's the rush?
It was going to explode due to a build up of pressure for some reason. If I recall correctly, anyways.

Lhynn said:
the problem was that the enclave wanted to seize the tech for themselves and for their own agenda, BoS wanted to give clean water the every one, thats it.

it however makes just as much sense for BoS to 'Want' absolute control of any such tech advancement / recovery, the BoS being quite anal about 'wastelanders' having any tech...

The dad death thing and the plot surrounding it made me think "What the hell? just give them control!" they even offer to take dad on board (access to lotta cool tech and knowledge) this whole section is a Giant face with an equally large Palm.

i was left thinking that the enclave were actually trying to help, and yes in DC where the majority of 'mutated' life is completely hostile, I see no reason why the 'clave shouldn't be allowed to get jiggy with their 'cleansing'

This alone is why I wouldn't give this game any more than 5/10 the plot is complete and utter FAIL.

Would be cool if you somehow, on the point when James is getting raped, you could join the Enclave or have even more choices.

The BoS in DC wanted to help the wastelanders out, instead of hoarding all the technology in the area for themselves.

James was buddies with the BoS in DC, so he's not gonna be too fond of the Enclave, especially when they storm his facility, and start shooting people.

This is literally 1 + 1 = 2.

It's like you guys are trying to act stupid when it comes to Fallout 3.

Superking,

Is it ever mentioned that James knew of the Enclave before he met them at the Water Purifier?
You know perhaps the BOS once saying to him "There is also this remnant of the previous government called the Enclave, they want to reclaim the land for themselves and consider us all filthy mutants they need to exterminate."

The enclave has been broadcasting all over DC for a while, James would at the very least know of them.

And he was working with the BoS on the purifier before he went to Vault 101. I'm sure that the BoS would share any info they had if they thought the enclave was a real threat to the wasteland.

superking said:
The enclave has been broadcasting all over DC for a while, James would at the very least know of them.

I was under the impression that most people considered that to be nothing but old pre-war recordings and nothing spectacular.

Critter said:
superking said:

I was under the impression that most people considered that to be nothing but old pre-war recordings and nothing spectacular.

Plus weren't they like "We're going to rebuild the country" and crap like that?

Back