Hi-Res Patches for Fallout1&2 & the BIS Mapper

Styphelus said:
Is there anyway to reduce the number "extra" tiles around the screen? For example, when i get to the edge of a map, I see quite a few extra tiles "stitched" on although my character can't move beyond a certain point. Is it possible to remove a certain amount of those tiles so my character stops moving closer to the edge of the screen instead of seeing all those extra tiles? Same goes for the extra tiles on the top portion of the screen.

I'm not talking about smaller maps like the temple entrance, but about any other good size map that requires scrooling back and forth.
I'm working on a solution for this. At this point I don't know when it will be finished.

General Felipe said:
Say fella... this mod is compatible with Killap's restoration 1.2 and or patch?

Thanks !
As far as I know it works fine with the restoration project.

Mash said:
General Felipe said:
Say fella... this mod is compatible with Killap's restoration 1.2 and or patch?

Thanks !
As far as I know it works fine with the restoration project.

I don't think so man...

When I run the mod... the game crashs...

The resolution is 1280x1024 pixels.

General Felipe said:
I don't think so man...

I just changed mine to 1280x1024 and it ran fine. Only problem was with the text....it becomes completely unreadable.

Edit: Figured out what was making it unreadable...still had the ddraw.ini set to 640x480 :S

General Felipe said:
Well... well...

As I said in other topic... my computer reaally needs some oil...

Heheheehehehehe...

Have you tried re-installing? I had a problem yesterday where it would crash at certain resolutions. After I re-installed, the problem went away.

Edit: Here are some screenshots showing what it looks like for me in 1280x1024.

As you can see, I changed Mode to 5, GraphicsWidth to 1280, and GraphicsHeight to 1024 in ddraw.ini.
In f2_res.ini, I changed AUTO_SCRN_SIZE to 0, SCR_WIDTH to 1280, and SCR_HIGHT to 1024.

Keep up the good work. The FO1 res patch is pretty much perfect for me. I only have minor problems such as seeing the outside of maps and the smaller chat screens. If there was a way solve this?

joe_strummer said:
Keep up the good work. The FO1 res patch is pretty much perfect for me. I only have minor problems such as seeing the outside of maps and the smaller chat screens. If there was a way solve this?

Fingers crossed the "seeing the outside of maps" problem will be solved in the next release. I'm ditching the in-game map boarders and creating my own. I'm still coding the fix at the moment and after that I'll have to set the scroll limits for each individual map. Which should be fun. :P
I'll probably release patches for the fallout's and the mapper2 at the same time. But I have a fair amount of work in front of me so it may take a little while.
After that I'll look into window resizing. :)

General Felipe said:
I don't think so man...

Just wondering if you managed to get it working?
Did you try as lordrahl suggests? Sfall allows for a wider range of resolutions.

Just a quick progress update:
I've gotten the code for the new map boarders done for fallout2. And am implementing it in the mapper2 mod at the moment.
joe_strummer said:
Glad to hear that you are working on new version. Do you know when it will be released?
I'm aiming for a release some time in the next couple of weeks, as long as no major problems arise. I'm focusing on fallout2 and the mapper at this point. With fallout1 being released shortly after.
epsilon said:
Thanks a lot for creating this, currently replaying Fallout 2 at 1680x1050 and it looks beautiful! :clap:
I'm glad you like it. :D And thanks to everyone for the compliments.

Here are a couple images of the mapper2 running at 1680x1050. there are still a couple of bugs to work out but it's coming along.
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=z143vmhg2xi&thumb=4
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=zizwenmem1l&thumb=4

Sorry if I sound TOO stupid here, but I cant get the resolution to change :/

I got Unofficial FO2 patch and F2 Restoration Project 1.2 installed.
I'm totally new to modding Fallout.

I tried to change the resolution in the f2_res.ini file and sett the auto resolution option to 0.

Running Vista 64bit.

Could some one help me?

It would be really great if the intro movies, in-game movies, ending screens etc for fallout 1 and 2 were full-screen using the increased resolution patch (I am using V1.3 24/06/08 which I think is the latest?), with me they are in a box that is about half the size of the screen which makes it a lot less immersive when the tanker is setting out etc

I did find a bug also that it seems very hard to scroll the view at times, it gets stuck and you have to move around a bit before you can move again (one example I can think in FO2 of is vault city at the entrance to the inner city if you try go in the building to the right)

Otherwise it's cool I love this mod! It's fun sometimes that it lets you walk around borders etc on the edge of maps and go get the hidden lockers where ammo and weapons are stored for shops - but other times I would probably have preferred it to stretch the image to fit the screen instead like when you enter the Enclave for the first time

Hyrulian said:
I did find a bug also that it seems very hard to scroll the view at times, it gets stuck and you have to move around a bit before you can move again (one example I can think in FO2 of is vault city at the entrance to the inner city if you try go in the building to the right)
That's an issue with the scroll distance from the player. With a higher res the scroll distance can be less than the dimensions of the screen, meaning you can walk your character beyond the scroll limit causing scrolling to stop.
You can get around this by either moving the character more towards the centre of the screen. Or increase the scroll distance from the player. The variables for which can be found in the VARIABLES section of f2_res.ini.
Code:
#SCROLL DISTANCE FROM PLAYER
SCROLL_DIST_X = 480	; ORIGINAL 480
SCROLL_DIST_Y = 400	; ORIGINAL 400
SCROLL_DIST_X is the distance from the player horizontally.
SCROLL_DIST_Y is the distance from the player vertically.

The Oats said:
I tried to change the resolution in the f2_res.ini file and sett the auto resolution option to 0.

Running Vista 64bit.
Just to confirm did you run "f2_res_patcher.exe" after you installed the other patches?
I don't have a 64bit OS, so I don't know how much help I can be there. Can anyone confirm if the resolution patch is working in Vista 64bit?

Mash said:
The Oats said:

Running Vista 64bit.
Just to confirm did you run "f2_res_patcher.exe" after you installed the other patches?
I don't have a 64bit OS, so I don't know how much help I can be there. Can anyone confirm if the resolution patch is working in Vista 64bit?
Yes i did :/

The game runs fine so im not sure that the 64bit os is to blame.
Its just the resolution patch i cant get to work.

The Oats said:
Mash said:
The Oats said:

You could try disabling "User Account Control" temporarily, and then rerunning the "f2_res_patcher.exe". There was a program floating around called TweakUAC that might help there, just google it. UAC can cause problems when modifying files installed under Program Files.
Apart from that I'm at a loss at the moment. :?

Mash said:
Hyrulian said:
That's an issue with the scroll distance from the player. With a higher res the scroll distance can be less than the dimensions of the screen, meaning you can walk your character beyond the scroll limit causing scrolling to stop.
You can get around this by either moving the character more towards the centre of the screen. Or increase the scroll distance from the player. The variables for which can be found in the VARIABLES section of f2_res.ini.
Code:
#SCROLL DISTANCE FROM PLAYER
SCROLL_DIST_X = 480	; ORIGINAL 480
SCROLL_DIST_Y = 400	; ORIGINAL 400
SCROLL_DIST_X is the distance from the player horizontally.
SCROLL_DIST_Y is the distance from the player vertically.
Thanks a lot I will change that then! :)

You might want to consider including a changed version in the Fallout2_Resolution_Patch_v1.3.exe though could help others who might not see this topic on this forum

Mash said:
The Oats said:
Mash said:
The Oats said:

You could try disabling "User Account Control" temporarily, and then rerunning the "f2_res_patcher.exe". There was a program floating around called TweakUAC that might help there, just google it. UAC can cause problems when modifying files installed under Program Files.
Apart from that I'm at a loss at the moment. :?

That was the first thing i disabled in Vista when i got it =P
(If what your talking about is that message that pops up each time you do anything, and everything else goes black)

Maybe I did something wrong under the installation?
I'll take a screen cap of the fallout folder:
Fallout2.png

(Sorry did not find any spoiler tag feature to hide the picture in.)

The Oats said:
Maybe I did something wrong under the installation?
UAC may still be on. It doesn't look like the "f2_res_patcher.exe" ran correctly. the "Date modified" for the fallout2.exe still displays 11.12.98, it should display the date and time you ran the "f2_res_patcher.exe".
I would try copying both the fallout2.exe and the f2_res_patcher.exe to a different directory say c:\temp. Then run f2_res_patcher.exe again. You should get a message that the patch was installed successfully and the last modified date for the fallout2.exe should change. After that copy the modified fallout2.exe back to your install directory.

Back