Hi-Res Patches for Fallout1&2 & the BIS Mapper

"Set the screen resolution here,
Scr_width = 1280
Scr_hight =720 "

Thanks for the tip. But shouldn't that be 1280x800? That is the correct 16:10 aspect ratio at that resolution.

This new version is great. Much better than the previous one. Will there be a new version for Fallout 1 as well?

And the other thing I wanted to ask, is there a way to remove the dark brown tiles and make everything blend in better? Not a big deal - jusk being picky.

Going to play Fallout 2 all over again. Great work!!!

Thank you Mash this worked perfectly. The patch is great you did really good job out there !

Elzix said:
Thank you Mash this worked perfectly. The patch is great you did really good job out there !

Good to hear. If you have any more problems let me know. The US version is my main test bed, so sometimes I may miss things in the other versions.

Styphelus said:
This new version is great. Much better than the previous one. Will there be a new version for Fallout 1 as well?

And the other thing I wanted to ask, is there a way to remove the dark brown tiles and make everything blend in better? Not a big deal - jusk being picky.

Going to play Fallout 2 all over again. Great work!!!
By dark brown tiles I assume your referring to the ones surrounding the temple entrance and other maps. They are part of the maps and can probably be edited out using the mapper2 program. A lot of maps need some work to look good at higher res. And I'm certain someone will take up the challenge eventually.

I've updated the code for my fallout1 patch and have set-up the map borders. I'm delaying the release though, as I'm adding support for the Polish version. On that note if there are any other versions I'm missing let me know. I know there's a US 1.2 version but I have been unable to find a copy, if someone can help me out there send me a PM.

Is there a possibility to add the resolution settings into the option menu of f2? Or have you to hack the exr for this?

"And I'm certain someone will take up the challenge eventually. "

Ok, I started editing the maps, but how do you determine the draw order? I'm trying to fix the bridge maps and it's looks good for the most part, however, I don't know how to have one texture on top of another. How do you move object to the front or to the back? Basically, the textures for the walls on the cliff, are always on top, so when I try to paste the textures that make up the top of the cliff, they always go to the background, underneath the textures used for the walls.

I got most of the other maps fixed. Removed all the brown squares, added a bit more vegetagion to empty sapces on the sides, and blended in all the broken asphalt, and roads, and tiles.

Just having a bit of trouble with the bridge maps at the moment. Hopping to have everything done by the end of the week.

Styphelus said:
"And I'm certain someone will take up the challenge eventually. "

Ok, I started editing the maps, but how do you determine the draw order? I'm trying to fix the bridge maps and it's looks good for the most part, however, I don't know how to have one texture on top of another. How do you move object to the front or to the back? Basically, the textures for the walls on the cliff, are always on top, so when I try to paste the textures that make up the top of the cliff, they always go to the background, underneath the textures used for the walls.

I got most of the other maps fixed. Removed all the brown squares, added a bit more vegetagion to empty sapces on the sides, and blended in all the broken asphalt, and roads, and tiles.

Just having a bit of trouble with the bridge maps at the moment. Hopping to have everything done by the end of the week.
Can't help you to much myself as I've only used the mapper2 as a viewer up to now. You may get better help if you start a new topic. Sounds good though.
Mr.Wolna said:
Is there a possibility to add the resolution settings into the option menu of f2? Or have you to hack the exr for this?
I've thought about that myself. Don't know if its possible but I'll look into it when I get the chance.

Mr.Wolna said:
ok cool, and whats about to fit the hud and all the other frs like the title screen? to the resulations?
Once I release the next fallout1 patch(which should be tomorrow all going well), scaling the dialog screen, main-menu, movies etc, will be my next primary goal.

Mash said:
Once I release the next fallout1 patch(which should be tomorrow all going well), scaling the dialog screen, main-menu, movies etc, will be my next primary goal.
That's awesome. Keep it up!

Ok, I encountered some nasty problems. This is only related to killap's RP, though.

Some of the new locations do not function correctly, since I'm not able to move the screen at all if I enter a certain area from a certain place. Like in the EPA if I use the elevators on the other side I can't move the screen on that floor. However, there was a point in the game where it did work properly for some time (I think). It might have something to do with entering the underground EPA area straight from the "town world" map since this is the first time I had this problem.

my.php
[/URL][/img]

This is the bridge level. It's the best i can do with my limited knowledge and it supports resolutions up to 1680x1050.

GanymeDes- said:
Ok, I encountered some nasty problems. This is only related to killap's RP, though.

Some of the new locations do not function correctly, since I'm not able to move the screen at all if I enter a certain area from a certain place. Like in the EPA if I use the elevators on the other side I can't move the screen on that floor. However, there was a point in the game where it did work properly for some time (I think). It might have something to do with entering the underground EPA area straight from the "town world" map since this is the first time I had this problem.

Damn-it your right, I think the dialog screen is pulling the view out of bounds when it closes. I will look into it right away, if its happening anywhere else let me know.

Edit:
Nop not the dialog screen. The start position is deep in the corner of the squashed diamond shape of the map which is causing it to get stuck. I should be able to fix it but I'll hold off releasing the new fallout1 patch until I do.

Styphelus said:
my.php
[/URL][/img]

This is the bridge level. It's the best i can do with my limited knowledge and it supports resolutions up to 1680x1050.
It's not to bad, I'm going to be a little critical though. the desert tiles look a bit repetitive in places and it could probably do with a few extra trees in the vacant spot in the upper left. Also I would aim for a res of 1920x1200 which should cover most peoples setups. Otherwise pretty good.

That's fine. Than I guess you can keep the default map with a whole in the middle, dark brown tiles all around, and empty black space on each side.

I'm going to keep fixing the maps for myself and a few buddies of mine who also play fallout.

I have better things to do than spend hours and hours fixing this stuff. Just went ahead because no one else is doing it and I want to play this game again.

Have fun with the default maps.

men keep cool i just said what I am thinking, OK?

I said also that was a good work, i mean trust me i really know how much time it takes to edit a fallout map. And i really think lot of people will be thank you for your work. But i personally do not like it very much. I do not say its bad or something, i just not like it OK. Very peoples do not like much my work or the work other modders. But many enjoy it like your map. So don't be piss when i say my opinion, oK?

Grettings Wolna

Styphelus said:
Have fun with the default maps.

Hey man, the good people of NMA have shot down many a project, because it did not meet their high standards. Please release what you have when you finish and I am sure it will be appreciated (anything is better than black borders and psychedelic red cursors FFS).

BTW you may need continuum's help with the oil rig, you might want to ask him about that.

Cheers
Tom

Mash: Well, it in addition to the EPA underground area it also happened to me when I exited that place via the "secret" passage that leds to the Doc's laboratory and then I run through that map and into the ground-level of EPA and that's where the screen went to a place where I couldn't do anything -- it was too far away from my character to move it. At the moment I'm stuck there.

Also, I think it got stuck once in the Hubologist base when I entered it through the stairs. However, it was fixed when I re-entered the area.

EDIT: Btw, I'm playing with the 1024x768 resolution.

EDIT2: On the EPA ground-level, if you use the computer in the building with the elevator, the screen gets stuck.

Well I think I've fixed the problem. When you enter some maps and when you start and close dialogs the auto scroll kicks in. Only when it does this in tight spots like the corners of maps it goes out of bounds. Anyway I disabled the auto scroll which fixed the getting stuck problem, and also forced me to fix the dialog view window which should now always show the charactor your talking to so long as he/she is on the screen. I'll add the fixes to the mapper2 and fallout1 patches as well and providing I don't sleep to much have a triple release sometime Sunday.
Also thanks for the info GanymeDes I'll test all the places you mentioned.
Anyway less talking and more work. :)

Back