Hi-Res Patches for Fallout1&2 & the BIS Mapper

Mash said:
The Oats said:
Maybe I did something wrong under the installation?
UAC may still be on. It doesn't look like the "f2_res_patcher.exe" ran correctly. the "Date modified" for the fallout2.exe still displays 11.12.98, it should display the date and time you ran the "f2_res_patcher.exe".
I would try copying both the fallout2.exe and the f2_res_patcher.exe to a different directory say c:\temp. Then run f2_res_patcher.exe again. You should get a message that the patch was installed successfully and the last modified date for the fallout2.exe should change. After that copy the modified fallout2.exe back to your install directory.
Yey it worked :D Thanks!
I now know what I did wrong, I only unzipped the patch and did not run it =P (way to screw up huh =P)

The Oats said:
Yey it worked :D Thanks!
I now know what I did wrong, I only unzipped the patch and did not run it =P (way to screw up huh =P)
Glad to here you got it going.
At least I now know that it works in 64bit windows. :)

Does this patch affect the game (other than resolution?)?

I got a new character that got the Jinxed perk and Luck on 10.
I just (before I got the patch to work) killed quite a few geckos in Klamath. And not once have something critical happened to me in combat (that goes for earlier in the game, against scorpions and ants to).
But now I tried to kill a golden gecko and both me and Sulik failed critically quite often in that match. We even dropped our weapons on the ground, both of us.
Bad stuff has happened to enemy's though.

May that be this patch's "fault"? I really hope not, cus its so awesome.

Update:
So I had 4 encounters with golden gecko (w/patch), and there were at least one critical failure, on my side, in each event.
And at least one match where both me an Sulik dropped our weapons and critically failed so we lost our next turn.

Then i tried without the patch, 4 matches, and there were only 2 critical failures, one for Sulik and one for me.

I know that only 4 times is not really saying much, and I'm not saying that the patch caused this to happen.
I'm just wondering if this patch could affect the game in this way?

The Oats said:
Does this patch affect the game (other than resolution?)?
The patch shouldn't affect game play and no one else has reported a similar problem, so I would say it's just a coincidence.

Hyrulian said:
You might want to consider including a changed version in the Fallout2_Resolution_Patch_v1.3.exe though could help others who might not see this topic on this forum
I will make the scroll distance from the player adapt to the chosen screen resolution in the next release, which should fix the issue. You will still be able to adjust the the values to your liking though.

Your probably right. I played some more without the patch and I "failed critically" =P more often than I did earlier in the game.
Guess it's just my "wacky" character's fault.

First of all, let me say thanks for this great mod. :clap:

But I do have one question/request: are there any chances of scaling the UI and fonts or anything in this direction?
Reading conversations and UI elements in higher resolutions (1280x1024) is hard because of the font size...
Thanx.

Fullscreen?

Hey! Like many others here I want to thank you for this patch! This is my first time starting a Fallout game and let me tell you, I was a little turned off by the fact that I couldn't adjust any resolution settings!

I am having a problem however that my game shows up in a tiny post card sized window in the middle of my screen. There remainder of the screen is just a black area. If I adjust the resolution higher in the .ini file it simply makes the "postcard" size smaller, thus a larger black area around the actual gameplay.

It isn't a matter of my game running in a window (alt + enter doesn't fix it). It's as if the game itself is full screen but the window where the actual game is occuring is the only thing being adjusted with the resolution.

Hopefully someone here has run into this problem. I saw a few other people had the issue in doing a google search but couldn't find a solution.

Thanks again!

Hi I am having the same issue of still being in postcard size with everything else being black. I tried to download the Vcredist.exe for the C+++ 6.0 but it asked me where to download it into by giving me a "browse" button with area blank. I hope someone will help and clarify all this for me. Thank you for any help.

For Mavors and RPcnuwm,
The startup screens, the movies and main-menu will all appear surrounded by a large black boarder depending on the resolution. The game itself, that is the maps should display full-screen. So could you confirm for me if the maps are displaying full-screen or not?

nosferatoo said:
First of all, let me say thanks for this great mod. :clap:

But I do have one question/request: are there any chances of scaling the UI and fonts or anything in this direction?
Reading conversations and UI elements in higher resolutions (1280x1024) is hard because of the font size...
Thanx.
I'm currently working of getting the map boundaries working properly. But I intend to look into this after the next release, which should be out in the next week or so.

Mavors said:
Hi I am having the same issue of still being in postcard size with everything else being black. I tried to download the Vcredist.exe for the C+++ 6.0 but it asked me where to download it into by giving me a "browse" button with area blank. I hope someone will help and clarify all this for me. Thank you for any help.

Solution to the postcard size issue would be to install those visual c++ 6.0 runtime components. Obviously the patch doesn't work without them. But installing them is the hard part. After some research i found out that windows vista doesn't support visual c++ 6.0. Hopefully there is still some kind of trick to get those components installed and working with the patch. Any ideas?

Hehhee, just when i started posting about it, my problem was solved. I re-installed the game and then all the patches. Suprisingly everything worked like a dream. And at the moment i don't have any version of visual c++ installed. Weird, but i'm not complaining XD.

Both XP and Vista (as far as I know) should come with the VC++6 runtime libraries pre installed. The warning in the read-me was mainly for older OS's, Win98 and below.

Version 1.4 of the Fallout2 Resolution Patch is out, as is the first version of The Mapper2 Resolution Patch. Not being a mapper myself, I'm interested in getting some feedback from the map makers out there.
Links can be found in my sig as well as the first post of this topic.

Mash said:
Version 1.4 of the Fallout2 Resolution Patch is out, as is the first version of The Mapper2 Resolution Patch. Not being a mapper myself, I'm interested in getting some feedback from the map makers out there.
Links can be found in my sig as well as the first post of this topic.
Nice! Off to test these babies. Great job!

EDIT:
F2 Resolution Patch == awesomeness! No longer scrolling outside the map. Tested only several maps on 1024x768 and all seems well.

Mapper Resolution Patch is also great. Tested it at 1024x768 and I see almost the entire map on one screen. Only problem is that the text for "tiles, scenery, etc" gets a little small to read at high resolutions. Nothing to worry about though. This is definitely going to make map making easier.

Great job with theses releases Mash! The FO2 resolution patch, with your permission of course, will now be included in my Restoration Project.

I take it the FO1 patch will be updated as well to address the scrolling issue?

killap said:
Great job with theses releases Mash! The FO2 resolution patch, with your permission of course, will now be included in my Restoration Project.
Yes include away :) I was about to ask you the same thing.

I have a question for you Killap. I had a problem opening one of the maps in the Restoration Project called Hubologists2.map and so was unable to setup map borders for it. It may be I setup the Mapper incorrectly but I had no problems with any of the other maps. Is there anything special about that map?

killap said:
I take it the FO1 patch will be updated as well to address the scrolling issue?
Yep just getting started on that, shouldn't take me to long though.

Mash said:
I have a question for you Killap. I had a problem opening one of the maps in the Restoration Project called Hubologists2.map and so was unable to setup map borders for it. It may be I setup the Mapper incorrectly but I had no problems with any of the other maps. Is there anything special about that map?
I actually have no idea what that map is. It crashes for me when I open it. I'm pretty certain it is not used in the game. The hubologist stash is another map so this must have been some old unused map. No worries about it.

Thanks Mash for your update. Look really good.

I also found a balance for wide screen users. I'm using a 20 LCD wide.

Nvidia Resolution; 1680X1050 Default

NVidia settings Change Flat panel Scaling; Use my display's built-in scaling

File f2_res.ini

Use 0 for auto_scrn_size
&
Set the screen resolution here,

Scr_width = 1280
Scr_hight =720

You get a nice full screen with clear readout of the Menu, Inventory, Character info etc.

I hope this helps some new guys getting started.

Hello I have some serious problem with this patch and cannot find a solution anywhere. I am playing german version of fallout 2 ver. 1.02. The patch installs and everything seems to work fine till the moment I leave The Arroyo village and try to enter any location. When I do this after entering the location my character dissapears and I cannot do anything from that moment on because my charakter just doesn't exist on the map. It is the same with every location exept for the cutscenes locations on the map(random encounters) and The Den (I really don't know why only this town works properly). When I enter the worldmap it does not fill the whole screen and my character and all bottom bars remain on the screen (I don't know if it is somehow related to my problem). I am running this game on windows xp sp2. Thank you very much for any help.

Elzix said:
Hello I have some serious problem with this patch and cannot find a solution anywhere. I am playing german version of fallout 2 ver. 1.02. The patch installs and everything seems to work fine till the moment I leave The Arroyo village and try to enter any location. When I do this after entering the location my character dissapears and I cannot do anything from that moment on because my charakter just doesn't exist on the map. It is the same with every location exept for the cutscenes locations on the map(random encounters) and The Den (I really don't know why only this town works properly). When I enter the worldmap it does not fill the whole screen and my character and all bottom bars remain on the screen (I don't know if it is somehow related to my problem). I am running this game on windows xp sp2. Thank you very much for any help.

Sorry :oops:
Just tested this myself and you are right, There's a particular line in the RES*.ini file for the french, german and uk versions thats pointing to the wrong address. I will upload a fixed version shortly. Until then if you want to apply the fix yourself, here's what needs to be changed.

For the French and German versions.
Open the RES_FR_GR.ini file, it's in the f2_res folder. And find these lines..
Code:
#FIX - ORIGINALLY PLAYER POSITION SET TO SCROLL POSITION FOR JUMP TO MAP
#NOW PLAYER POSITION SET BEFORE SCROLL
00482E2E	6	8B15 34BE6600			REPLACE 8B15 5C955100
And replace 5C955100 with DC955100

For the UK version.
Open the RES_UK.ini file in the f2_res folder and find the same line as above.
And replace 5C955100 with AC955100

This is only for the French, German and UK versions. The US and Chinese versions should be fine.

Back