Ideas for new Fallout threats

Chancellor Kremlin said:
Ausir said:
I'd rather have new high tech factions than the Brotherhood and the Enclave ad nauseum.

I think whats missing isn't high tech factions, but rather the 'medium player' kind of factions, like NCR, VC and the like. Which is why I like the idea of a remnant US military faction, helping people re-establish their lives with just some power armour, mostly combat armour and assault rifles, but a military discipline and some bases here and there.

. . . .

At the momment we have too many ''uber cool awesome'' enemies like muties, enclave and all that. We need to get back to basics...

I totally agree. I always wanted to see a more militaristic based alliance , like the NCR but more so militaristic and expansionist. Enough of the super evil villains. How about just a faction gone a little off the rails? More believable and in my opinion lends itself to storytelling more so then scores of super armored enclave soldiers swooping down out of the sky. No more enclave.... please.... please no more enclave.

I have been hearing suggestions of how the decay and anarchy in the wasteland or the political struggles in the wasteland should be the threat.

While those aren't always bad, to me that always felt sort of like background stuff, things you get to deal with during a Fallout game but not the main focus.

Ever played Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines? Or Deus Ex? SPOLIERS BELLOW:

[spoiler:4bd23f50dc]That kind of struggle and intrigue I'm talking about. Multiple endings and faction choices. Less "Save the world in a epic level" and more "Change the world in a big, but local level" La Croix employs you as his puppet against the other factions. Around the ending, things get out of control and you have to choose:

Side with La Croix?
Side with Straus?
Side with the Anarchs?
Side with the Kuei-Jin?
Stand by yourself?

The same kind of choice can be seen in Deus Ex, except its more of a epic level:

Do you kill Bob Page and help the Illuminati to rule benefically though a hidden hand?
Do you destroy area 51 and usher in a age of small governaments, where no conspiracies can be made?
Do you fuse with Helios and turn yourself into a belevolent cybergod and dictator of mankind?[/spoiler:4bd23f50dc]

Honestly, and I don't mean to be trollish about this, I feel that after Fallout 3 I view the entire franchise as needing to just lay down and sleep that sweet slumber to which all must go. There seems to be no more pep left in Fallout to enable things to really move forward anymore without it breaking drastically away from what many see as the tenants of the franchise. Fallout 3 beat the dead horse so much, I just can't think of anything to really make it interesting while retaining the post-apocalyptic vibe. I only see it turning into some quasi-cyberpunk thing, as otherwise you're only riding the same old crap.

I am actually starting to have the same feeling Grimhound.

Van Buren would have made an excellent third part to a 'trilogy' (not sure what plans Black Island had had for Fallout 4 ), after which the series could have ended or taken a very long break.

As Fallout 2 already showed, society was growing towards nation wide governments again, after the player had perhaps 'fixed' the NCR and the Brotherhood from decline, we can assume that rebuilding of the country and the rediscovery of technology continued, sort of eliminating the feel of Fallout 1.

Bethesda's Fallout 3 reset makes no sense, in some ways you could say that it took place even earlier than Fallout 1 and 2 if it had not been for the BOS, Enclave and Super Mutants.

I have a feeling Bethesda wants to continue the whole wasteland anarchy vibe for sequels to come, showing that there never is any progress unlike Fallout 1/Fallout 2.

I somewhat agree with Grimhound, but I think there is a lot of gas left in the tank.

It's kind of a tricky situation. Thinking back, bumping FO2 up 80 years was a mistake, in my opinion. But, I give them credit for moving on from the two biggest pillars of the Fallout world, the BOS and Super Mutants.

Anyway, the world is the brand. The anarchy and the lack of civilization is a huge part of Fallout for me. I didn't like the way Van Buren was heading, but I would have accepted it as logical. The anarchy of FO3 wasn't logical, but I prefer it.

At the same time, I admit the world can't keep running in place. So they need to either set the next game in the past or move things forward a bit.

Well they could put a new Fallout game in a whole different region of the US without getting the popular groups and factions involved.

Not every Fallout game needs the BOS, NCR or Super Mutants, and not the Enclave at all.

A game for example taking place at the East Coast at the same time or just before or after Fallout 1.

I fucking LOVE the idea of the Institute being a villain, aiming to gain control by replacing people with androids. This leads to so many possibilities!

Sort of an "invasion of the body snatchers" type of thing yeah?

I love this, could turn out to be amazing. So many plot possibilities!

Yazman said:
I fucking LOVE the idea of the Institute being a villain, aiming to gain control by replacing people with androids. This leads to so many possibilities!

Sort of an "invasion of the body snatchers" type of thing yeah?

I love this, could turn out to be amazing. So many plot possibilities!

''Robots taking over the world because humans are too incompetent to keep an established world together without destroying it''

That idea is a bit like Terminator 3?

Anyway I like the idea of going away from the whole Bos, Enclave and Mutie threat and maybe be based in a completley different place in America (maybe even in a different country) in a completely different time.

Maybe somewhere that wasn't hit so bad by the bombs or maybe somewhere that was hit terribally (Spelling?). There could be completely different kinds of factions and all sorts.

I dunno, just an idea :)

I think in general a whole new region with its own factions that have no connection to the original stuff with the exception of Vaults also might be the best option.

I am not sure about the android thing, perhaps its me but it doesn't feel very Fallout, more like something for a Cyberpunk game.

Maybe things should be ended where it started...

After many years of rebuilding. there are powerful factions that engage in a small scale cold war, and they managed to recover nuclear weapon technology, so the player has to lead his faction into one of the few remaining vaults to save them from the madness of the world, because war never changes... :)

Please,there's really no need to use those cattle prods xD

I think that Fallout games, non-linear by nature, should have not one, but many "threats" and factions scheming for control. Instead of a single eeeeevil threat everyone hates, what about a power struggle between multiple factions? It would't be just "Brotherhood guy hate mutants, so he shoots mutants on sight", but something akin to intrigue and scheming between multiple factions who are co-dependent on each other, with a complex set of alliances and allies and plans and plans within plans and factions inside factions. Something less like the warzone DC has became, and something alike to the Vault City - New Reno - NCR political struggle. It was a great plot thread that also involved the other minor surrounding communities.

So instead of a warzone were the opposing factions shoot on sight, it would be a place covered in intrigue and scheming with the common misterious assassination thrown in and proxy fighting between smaller groups controlled by the greater ones. And there is no "villain" set in stone, but multiple factions that can turn into your allies or enemies according to your actions, which will also determine who will opose, hinder, exploit or help you in the end.
You got what you wanted eventually, man from 2009

Because we revived this thread, might as well use it for some ideas:

1. How about Psykers as villains? In fact, a game with Psykers as the main plot.

Yeah, we had The Master, but his main threat was the Mutants. Fallout Psykers are pretty grounded in power-levels, but they could get scary if used right. Go with a terror-ish theme. Psyker cults, "witches" and "sorcerors" terrorizing the populace (or getting terrorized by the populace, Salem-style), creepy children who can set things afire with a gaze, mind control, people who can see the future, all sorts of perception manipulation and changing that makes the player himself ask what is real.

Enter the Player Character. The Player character is a psyker. Maybe someone's lab experiment, pre-war or post-war. Psyker powers are a big part of gameplay. Maybe psyker powers are skills, akin to Underrail, and you can learn more powers - through training, self-learning, cybernetic enhancement, the works. That said, the idea is that they are more of an auxiliary power, and most psykers are rather weak. The player can simply eschew his powers and tough it out, of course - but the potential is there.

It would be interesting seeing biological variation between psykers as well. Psykers of different species too, some psykers mutated into barely human creatures, etc.

The main enemies? Perhaps one powerful psyker* or even a hivemind of these. Maybe there's a reason for so many psykers - say, some FEV quarantine town exploded and now an altered form of FEV has spread across the region, creating more psykers than usual. Maybe someone (pre-war? the antagonists?) is experimenting and creating psykers?

*Could easily be a pastiche(s) of one or more well-know users of mental powers in fiction. The Super Man (the original one with mental powers who was bald and evil, not Big Blue), Paul Atreides, The Mule, the God-Emperor of Mankind (Fallout has a lot of WH40k influence), Professor Xavier, etc.

2. Totalitarian System.

Essentially, Fallout vs 1984 (or Paranoia). The game-world is mainly dominated by an immensely powerful totalitarian regime. The nexus of the game-world is a terrible Panopticon ruled by one of the most oppressive systems ever seen by mankind. Think every totalitarian system in the history of mankind blended together. Its a terrible place with iron law, constant propaganda and brainwashing.

The System sucks, but what may be outside is possibly worse. Outside it, the wasteland is a rough place. The environment is actively hostile to human life, horrible mutant monsters live there and armies of brutal wasteland warriors marauder across. The few communities close by are a shadow of the regime, and are either its puppets, hate it or are merely hanging on.

The main conflict would be things like Freedom vs Oppression, and how perhaps only a highly-disciplined and orderly regime may be able to survive in such a dark situation. Trying to bring freedom to this place might be opening Pandora's box. And furthermore... who the hell is even at the top of this system? An all-powerful party? One absolute ruler? An oligarchy? An artificial intelligence?

One possible plot-twist is to present it as nice and good intentioned as possible, so that players don't even realize at the start its an horrible place beneath all the niceness. Then subvert it later with the reveal that there is a good reason everything is shitty and oppressive.

3. Cyborgs

Another Fallout element that has always been there but never used as part of a main plot. Maybe they want to make everyone like them. Maybe they believe in joining all humans into one computer-hooked mind to use the brains of all humanity to solve the problems of the species with all the computational power, creating their own Cybernetic God - but at an horrible price.

I have this idea for a robot or a satellite, either or, called DAVEE: Dire Abditive Vadelect Epoch Ensurance. You can tell I tried really hard for that acronym, and I don't think it even works.

DAVEE was made by Greenway Hydroponics before the war, and it can recycle organic materials then turn them into seeds that can be planted into most kinds of soil, and it can fertilize most soil regardless of how dry it is.

It has several water purifiers in it, and can make a 200 year old bottle of water from the bottom of the ocean look like fresh tap water from a first world country.

There would be tons upon tons of solar panels on this thing, and it can collect energy very quickly, quickly enough to power an entire city like Vegas forever. As long as the sun never goes away.

It can also control clouds and cause it to rain, and it can shine a beam of sunlight through dense clouds so light can reach the surface during a nuclear winter.

If there wasn't a nuclear winter however, then that beam of sunlight could potentially incinerate anything under it in 5 seconds or less.

So yeah, it is basically a GECK x5000 combined with ARCHIMEDES. Not my original intention but it's not too big of a deal.

If it's a robot, then it wouldn't have an AI capable of thought, just an AI that can move and process demands. It would also be huge, maybe Liberty Prime size, maybe smaller, but to fit that much power in one machine you would need a pretty hefty boy. I'm thinking it could be four-legged and on top of the torso there is a giant plasma globe.

If it's a satellite, then it wouldn't be able to plant seeds, fertilize soil, or purify water. It would look like a classic 50's sci-fi satellite, and also rock the plasma globe on it. How big is this satellite, still quite large, probably the size of a monster truck. That's the only thing around that size I can think of.

DAVEE itself wouldn't be the threat of course, it would be whoever's trying to get their hands on it, not that any faction trying to get it would be evil, just the uncertainty of what someone would do with this machine.

I have this idea for a robot or a satellite, either or, called DAVEE: Dire Abditive Vadelect Epoch Ensurance. You can tell I tried really hard for that acronym, and I don't think it even works.

DAVEE was made by Greenway Hydroponics before the war, and it can recycle organic materials then turn them into seeds that can be planted into most kinds of soil, and it can fertilize most soil regardless of how dry it is.

It has several water purifiers in it, and can make a 200 year old bottle of water from the bottom of the ocean look like fresh tap water from a first world country.

There would be tons upon tons of solar panels on this thing, and it can collect energy very quickly, quickly enough to power an entire city like Vegas forever. As long as the sun never goes away.

It can also control clouds and cause it to rain, and it can shine a beam of sunlight through dense clouds so light can reach the surface during a nuclear winter.

If there wasn't a nuclear winter however, then that beam of sunlight could potentially incinerate anything under it in 5 seconds or less.

So yeah, it is basically a GECK x5000 combined with ARCHIMEDES. Not my original intention but it's not too big of a deal.

If it's a robot, then it wouldn't have an AI capable of thought, just an AI that can move and process demands. It would also be huge, maybe Liberty Prime size, maybe smaller, but to fit that much power in one machine you would need a pretty hefty boy. I'm thinking it could be four-legged and on top of the torso there is a giant plasma globe.

If it's a satellite, then it wouldn't be able to plant seeds, fertilize soil, or purify water. It would look like a classic 50's sci-fi satellite, and also rock the plasma globe on it. How big is this satellite, still quite large, probably the size of a monster truck. That's the only thing around that size I can think of.

DAVEE itself wouldn't be the threat of course, it would be whoever's trying to get their hands on it, not that any faction trying to get it would be evil, just the uncertainty of what someone would do with this machine.
Yeah uh that Acronym is completely meaningless. I don’t even know what it’s supposed to mean

That's actually a pretty cool idea. So its kind of a weather/solar control machine mixed with the ability to pretty much rejuvenate the land.

Feels like an interesting double-edged blade thing: On one hand, you could rejuvenate the land with this. On the other, anyone with this on his hand could kill loads of people with solar-powered death from the sky. Power to create and destroy alike, akin to that of a God. Can someone be trusted with this? Can anyone be trusted with this?

(perhaps an alternative is to weaken the satelite itself through computer configs somehow and hand it?)

Perhaps go mythological? AFAIK Greenway used Roman God names (as in DIANA) whereas Poseidon used Greek ones. The Romans had a sun god called Sol, native sun cult in two forms, that of Sol Indiges and later, Sol Invictus. People used to think it was two different gods, but nowadays they seem to think that Sol Indiges and Sol invictus are the same god.

Ideas:
- With not have both the robot and the sattelite? The Robot purifies water and can prepare and seed soil. The satellite beams down and uses solar energy to manipulate weather patterns.

- The big bot is where the Satellite is controlled from, it might even be kind of a vehicle. There was probably an original Command Center but it got totalled or something.

- The robot can also use the received solar power and plasma as a weapon in case it is attacked. Like a tank-sized equivalent of the Solar Scorcher. Maybe this is what the research of the Solar Scorcher led to. Due to its construction, it is also in practice tougher than a tank. So this is is also the Final Boss in many endings.

- One can give the big bot to a faction, destroy it, render it non-dangerous or use godly programming skills (and
perhaps pieces from a broken AI) to turn into a real AI capable of making its own decisions.

- Giving the big bot to a faction will either end up great for everyone involved or that faction then goes on to zap everyone who opposes them, or a similar ending like this. This also depends on how these groups turn out, who's in charge, their policies, etc. A lot of "unintended consequences" going on here.

- Destroying the bot pisses everyone but ensure nobody will be zapping people or attacking them with the weather. Cue Final Boss Fight against giant robot. Perhaps this is the solution proposed by a faction fearful of technology, or even the ultimate "save everyone but everyone hates you for it" kinda ending.

- Rendering it non-dangerous is done by programming the sattelite to a setting that decreases the solar energy it can deliver and/or the way it does. So it becomes purely a way to deliver power, it can't zap people to death or screw with other people's weather. But it is also not as powerful as it once was, so the whole system is not capable of regenerating the wasteland that much.

- Turning it into an AI (or putting one in). The robot will be able to make its own decisions. What happens next depends on what the player did, how good his Science skills are, etc. It might help people, it might malfunction, it might declare itself a deity, or something else.

- Trying to change its programming (caping it, giving it AI) will make it become aggressive (Final Boss fight), unless the Protagonist finds a way to disable or bypass those safeguards. This is a pre-war safeguard done to prevent it from being used for dastardly ends. It has to be beaten but not destroyed in order to deal with this.

- Other factions, depending on player decisions, might take the robot from him anyway. Cue an even harder final boss fight. Or not, because the speech skill is a thing.

That's actually a pretty cool idea. So its kind of a weather/solar control machine mixed with the ability to pretty much rejuvenate the land.

Feels like an interesting double-edged blade thing: On one hand, you could rejuvenate the land with this. On the other, anyone with this on his hand could kill loads of people with solar-powered death from the sky. Power to create and destroy alike, akin to that of a God. Can someone be trusted with this? Can anyone be trusted with this?

(perhaps an alternative is to weaken the satelite itself through computer configs somehow and hand it?)

Perhaps go mythological? AFAIK Greenway used Roman God names (as in DIANA) whereas Poseidon used Greek ones. The Romans had a sun god called Sol, native sun cult in two forms, that of Sol Indiges and later, Sol Invictus. People used to think it was two different gods, but nowadays they seem to think that Sol Indiges and Sol invictus are the same god.

Ideas:
- With not have both the robot and the sattelite? The Robot purifies water and can prepare and seed soil. The satellite beams down and uses solar energy to manipulate weather patterns.

- The big bot is where the Satellite is controlled from, it might even be kind of a vehicle. There was probably an original Command Center but it got totalled or something.

- The robot can also use the received solar power and plasma as a weapon in case it is attacked. Like a tank-sized equivalent of the Solar Scorcher. Maybe this is what the research of the Solar Scorcher led to. Due to its construction, it is also in practice tougher than a tank. So this is is also the Final Boss in many endings.

- One can give the big bot to a faction, destroy it, render it non-dangerous or use godly programming skills (and
perhaps pieces from a broken AI) to turn into a real AI capable of making its own decisions.

- Giving the big bot to a faction will either end up great for everyone involved or that faction then goes on to zap everyone who opposes them, or a similar ending like this. This also depends on how these groups turn out, who's in charge, their policies, etc. A lot of "unintended consequences" going on here.

- Destroying the bot pisses everyone but ensure nobody will be zapping people or attacking them with the weather. Cue Final Boss Fight against giant robot. Perhaps this is the solution proposed by a faction fearful of technology, or even the ultimate "save everyone but everyone hates you for it" kinda ending.

- Rendering it non-dangerous is done by programming the sattelite to a setting that decreases the solar energy it can deliver and/or the way it does. So it becomes purely a way to deliver power, it can't zap people to death or screw with other people's weather. But it is also not as powerful as it once was, so the whole system is not capable of regenerating the wasteland that much.

- Turning it into an AI (or putting one in). The robot will be able to make its own decisions. What happens next depends on what the player did, how good his Science skills are, etc. It might help people, it might malfunction, it might declare itself a deity, or something else.

- Trying to change its programming (caping it, giving it AI) will make it become aggressive (Final Boss fight), unless the Protagonist finds a way to disable or bypass those safeguards. This is a pre-war safeguard done to prevent it from being used for dastardly ends. It has to be beaten but not destroyed in order to deal with this.

- Other factions, depending on player decisions, might take the robot from him anyway. Cue an even harder final boss fight. Or not, because the speech skill is a thing.

I like your ideas, some of them are ideas I've had as well like "Could anyone be trusted with it?", I'm not great at thinking up factions, but I came up with one that is basically just an overgrown raider group. They would discover it and want to destroy it rather than use it for destruction, because they know they're uncoordinated and it would probably be stolen from them if they took it, and if someone else has it then they would definitely get wiped out.

There are two groups in particular that would really want this: Bos, and FotA. Although they both work best as side factions, unless this is the first game (aside from Bethesda games) that either of them are the main focus in. I still don't want them to be the main factions though, so we may have to just come up with new factions that would want this, but the duality of those two would be so good. I can't decide if it should be about them or new factions entirely.

At first I wasn't so sure about giving it an AI capable of thought, but I can imagine you want to destroy it, but it gains sentience and doesn't want to die. It could make you re-think your decision and possible just try to disarm it. I can only imagine it's adventures after becoming a real boy.

I also really like the idea of calling it Sol, because I'm not good with acronyms.

And the headquarters/battle station inside the robot and it sends signals to a satellite sounds very cool. I wonder if it would be radiation proof or not, maybe as the nukes dropped a team went inside the robot, and since they all died after sealing the super tight doors, it would take quite a bit to get in. Add a couple more layers to "This thing is important".

Also, if this is involved in the final boss fight and it's being guarded by a faction, you shouldn't be able to just [speech 100] them out of relinquishing god. You should have to show them proof that anyone with the best interests in mind can still go corrupt if given enough power, and have a [speech 100].

I like your ideas, some of them are ideas I've had as well like "Could anyone be trusted with it?", I'm not great at thinking up factions, but I came up with one that is basically just an overgrown raider group. They would discover it and want to destroy it rather than use it for destruction, because they know they're uncoordinated and it would probably be stolen from them if they took it, and if someone else has it then they would definitely get wiped out.

There are two groups in particular that would really want this: Bos, and FotA. Although they both work best as side factions, unless this is the first game (aside from Bethesda games) that either of them are the main focus in. I still don't want them to be the main factions though, so we may have to just come up with new factions that would want this, but the duality of those two would be so good. I can't decide if it should be about them or new factions entirely.

At first I wasn't so sure about giving it an AI capable of thought, but I can imagine you want to destroy it, but it gains sentience and doesn't want to die. It could make you re-think your decision and possible just try to disarm it. I can only imagine it's adventures after becoming a real boy.

I also really like the idea of calling it Sol, because I'm not good with acronyms.

And the headquarters/battle station inside the robot and it sends signals to a satellite sounds very cool. I wonder if it would be radiation proof or not, maybe as the nukes dropped a team went inside the robot, and since they all died after sealing the super tight doors, it would take quite a bit to get in. Add a couple more layers to "This thing is important".

Also, if this is involved in the final boss fight and it's being guarded by a faction, you shouldn't be able to just [speech 100] them out of relinquishing god. You should have to show them proof that anyone with the best interests in mind can still go corrupt if given enough power, and have a [speech 100].
I have an idea for a faction!

Back