I'm getting old, Shonny: The good and the bad

valcik said:
DammitBoy said:
Was it really safer? Even back when I was a kid in the sixties?
In the sixties, it was a post-war generation. The people have had in fresh memories how the real danger looks like, so perhaps they weren't such afraid of a banal things.

Umm, we were in a war in the sixties...

I_eat_supermutants said:
What has been made better by age and what has gotten worse?
The medical world has made huge progress, I guess.
Apart from that, most progress has made things worse.

What do you turn to when feeling nostalgic
Drugs. Legal and illegal ones.

and what repulses you and your 10 year old self would kick your current self's ass for?
What repulses me is that I am always right, especially when I want myself to be wrong.

Skateboarding got way better since I was a kid IMO. Not as much assholes / drug addicts on boards these days. Don't get me wrong, one of those little fuckers stole my board off my porch a year ago, but I've watched the little buggers really get into their skating instead of doing it "just to be cool". (remember posers?)

The decks are lighter, shaped better for doing tricks. Its easier than ever to get good I'd imagine. Oh and skateparks seem to be built a lot more these days. By the townships!

The bad?
I'd have to agree kids these days, esp. the ones that are being raised on COD and youtube, are complete dickheads. Man, I thought I was sheltered (I was.) but the blinding rotor wash these kids are under is re-goddamn-diculous.

Also: Cellphones! I want to smash every I-phone I see. Everyone on the street, at the bar, on the bus, crossing the street, EVERYWHERE! -is constantly tilting their neck at a 60 degree angle to look at some dumbass facebook or whatever bullshit. To me they all look like zombies or automatons. Listen, I go to bars to drink and socialize. I'm not sure if these people think its cool but from my perspective you don't look cool at a bar drinking and staring at your phone. Oh, you have a new I-phone 5! Look how much bigger it is! Is that a full 3/4 of an inch larger screen!? Shove it up your ass, sideways.

One thing I... "noticed"... it's really not the most astute or deep observation in the world but...

You ever notice, when you were 10, 20 year olds looked old. When you're 30, 20 year olds look like kids, and 30 year olds look.. I guess whatever age you feel.
I feel young, and 30 year olds, to me, look young. 40 year olds look - not old - but definitely noticeably older than me, so I still can look at that next level of age. When I'm 40, 30 year olds will look like "kids", and my fellow 40ers will look as young as I feel.

mobucks said:
Cellphones! I want to smash every I-phone I see. Everyone on the street, at the bar, on the bus, crossing the street, EVERYWHERE! -is constantly tilting their neck at a 60 degree angle to look at some dumbass facebook or whatever bullshit. To me they all look like zombies or automatons. Listen, I go to bars to drink and socialize. I'm not sure if these people think its cool but from my perspective you don't look cool at a bar drinking and staring at your phone. Oh, you have a new I-phone 5! Look how much bigger it is! Is that a full 3/4 of an inch larger screen!? Shove it up your ass, sideways.

I agree completely. I have a buddy who was raised amish - he calls the new phones, "The devils prayer beads".

Completely agree. I don't own a cellphone anymore. It has been one of the most freeing experiences imaginable. I hate how half of my friends are stuck to their fucking cellphones all the time. I mean, we will be playing a game or watching a movie or something and they will be clicking away on their damn phones. PUT YOUR FUCKING PHONE DOWN ASSHOLE! That's what I want to say, but I'm nicer than that, so I make some snarky comment on how I hate phones. I really, really, dislike people who stay on cell phones all the time. It's just rude imo. I remember when my Mom got a car phone. Man those things sucked for reception. :smile:

I need my phone, so not to become completely isolated, I allready live outside the city - BUT

I really cannot stand the overdependence on it, and I often try to "subtly" teach this to my friends, for example when they wanna hook up, they begin to micromanage the situation:
Okay, I'll call you when I get on the bus, you'll call me when you're on the bus, and we'll text and call as we get closer and closer to the city - to which I dismiss everything with "I'll cya downtown."

I recently got an LG smart Phone, and I am really missing my old monochromatic Nokia that I used for the last 4 years. I could call from almost anywhere, with this new phone I have to get into an open area to call anyone, and the battery dies so quickly with the default settings I basically had to deactivate everything it had so it lasted more than 3 hours.

I feel a BIT the same regarding phones, although perhaps a touch "less extreme". The sentiment kinda relates to the tale about skaters, I feel. When I was a kid, it was certain doom when your teenage daughter hit 13, because then she'd be tying up the phone at all times. Sure enough, my sister got into that habit when she hit that age. It was just a thing of the times. When I was in high school, it was still only growing in popularity that non-adults would HAVE cellphones, let alone own their own, and have individual plans, etc, so my not having one wasn't somehow "uncool" of me. Then, a few years later, while I made my daily bike trip to and from my college for classes, and I'd pass by my old junior high, the kids would be walking home, with cellphones glued to their ears. They were calling their parents, or each other, or texting away about whatever they wanted. *I* still didn't have a cell, at this point, and I was in my early 20s! I had the profound urge to grab each and every one of them, and smash them on the ground. I felt like it was wrong for parents to need a call from their kids to know when to come pick them up, or that their kids even had the OPTION of telling them "Yeah I'm not coming home from school first". At their age, my parents knew where I was gonna be at what time of the day, and if I came home late, I had some explaining to do.

Nowadays, I have my own cell, but it's a piece of junk. It's no iPhone, or even a Blackberry, just some flip phone from 5 years ago. I do WANT an iPhone, just like I feel like I should have a cellphone. Not because I wanna glue myself to it, not talk to friends or anyone else when I'm out and about, and somehow maintain my already-too-reclusive nature when I'm NOT staying at home. Rather, I know it's a way to reach information, faster. It's a very important resource, if you use it wisely, and don't become dependent on it. That's what I think is the major difference between me and most, and why seeing all those "kids" on their phones disgusts me; they appear totally reliant on them, to me. We didn't have cellphones or the internet or Twitter or a myriad of the services as nowadays when I was younger. But many of the things we have now, I recognize the important utility of. But I was to USE it, not be used BY it.

It was really cool when I was out with a friend, and while I described to him the latest episode of DBZ Abridged to him, he was able to look it up on his iPhone and play it while he drove. That was something I couldn't do with my cellphone limitations. But I could still describe it, and we still laughed talking together about it. There's a middle ground for everything, I suppose, where the old aren't just cranky because they weren't spoiled, and the young aren't so clueless because they lack self-reliance. I SHOULD have a cellphone, but not because everyone else does; it has an important use. If something happens to those I love, I wanna be instantly reachable in a heartbeat, and I'd tell my bosses at work this. I won't shut my phone off, because I refused to cut myself off from any possible emergencies, but if anyone was to call me without any such urgency, I'd tell them not to, because I'm at work. That was always respected.

I used to think the same and didn't have a phone for years. Now these nifty internet thingies are relatively cheap to get, I wanted one too, didn't regret it. It's nice to quickly check for train schedules, look up some place in the city (when there is no one you can ask for), read small pdf files, browse the internet while you are waiting in a train (which I have to do a lot) etc.

Plus, yeah, since almost everyone uses exclusively only these things today around me, I'd be pretty isolated since sometimes it's the only way to reach someone with that phone.

My iPhone saved my butt for the 2-3 months I was in Atlanta. That map function/route finder is the shit.

I'd have been lost everyday if not for that app.

Back