Isn't FEV a bit dumb?

White Knight

Water Chip? Been There, Done That
As we all know, the FEV virus was intented to kill all humans exposed to radiation from birth, while the pure-strain humans from vaults and the enclave would survive. But aren't all humans exposed to background radiation from birth at around 30 counts per minute. Wouldn't that mean that all humans would be killed regardless of where they were born, or is there a certain amount of counts per minute there is for it work?

It wasn't designed to kill irradiated humans, just mutated ones. That's what I thought at least. Since the FEV-I was in the airstream only vault dwellers and Enclave were protected from it because of their air-recycling and stuff.

There's a difference between FEV-I which was to create supersoldiers and FEV-II which was the Enclave's generic cleansing virus.

Correct. And as Little Robot said, the FEV-II is supposed to kill Humans with mutated (due to long-term exposure to radiation and such) DNA. It's basically a FEV-I countervirus.

Actually, at least the Fallout 2 version, would kill anyone who wasn't inoculated. It killing just the "mutants" was pure propaganda.

Really? I guess that I can trust Ausir... :wink:

But where is that in the game? Do you need Science ultra-high or something? I've played through several times and never found out the truth-- even with Science at about 190 and speech at around 210. It must be pretty hidden. Or I'm just stupid.

EDIT: By the way Ausir, in one of the recent episodes of the American version of the Office they mentioned that one of the characters has the nickname "actually" because he always interjects into conversations with the phrase "actually..." and a correction. Sound familiar? :D

Curling:

{238}{}{I can release the antidote into the air-system for all the cells. The detention level is served by a separate air system from the rest of the Enclave. Everyone will think that I'm just running another test. You, I can inoculate directly, here and now. (he reaches for you with a syringe)}

President Richardson:

{244}{prs43}{To turn it into a staggeringly effective killer. Any humanoid that isn't inoculated against its effects before its release, will die. That is the Project.}

The only difference was that the "impure" subjects would at least die quickly,, without much suffering:

{20024}{}{Final tests conducted on the vault-descendant subjects,}
{20025}{}{from the village "Arroyo," have shown a survival rate}
{20026}{}{of zero-percent, with most deaths occurring within }
{20027}{}{one-hour of exposure to a .0001% aerosol solution. By }
{20028}{}{contrast, the subjects extracted from Vault 13 tend }
{20029}{}{to suffer subdural hemorrhaging and convulsions within }
{20030}{}{one-hour of exposure, with death not occurring, on }
{20031}{}{average, for another 14.5-hours.}

I guess that I should have listened to tricky Dick's long speeches a bit more carefully... :oops:

Thanks for the clarification.

Little Robot said:
There's a difference between FEV-I which was to create supersoldiers and FEV-II which was the Enclave's generic cleansing virus.

Actually, the FEV-II is the supersoldier virus that created the supermutants and the Master. Enclave's is called FEV Curling-13.

One thing that has always confused me: Are ghouls "created" (for lack of a better term) from FEV, radiation, or a combination of the two? i remember reading in the FObible that there was some disagreement.

Even the devs don't agree on that issue. Radiation according to Tim Cain, FEV according to Chris Taylor. MCA initially supported Taylor's version in the Bible, and then decided to go for Cain's. According to Bethesda, there is an unknown additional factor in play.

I thought the general consensus was that ghouls were created by radiation after the war (i faintly recall some characters saying in the original games that no new ghouls can be made, and the existing ones are all ancient, pre-war humans), with Harold being the only exception, obtaining his ghoul status by being exposed to a mix of radiation and FEV.

Did Beth do an official retcon on that? Regardless, I think it's implausible to assume that every ghoul in existence was exposed to FEV at one point or another.

Hm, isn't a Vault 12 behind that?
A main gates of the Vault were designed to be not closed correctly, so all the poor inhabitants were exposed to radiation.

Madbringer said:
I thought the general consensus was that ghouls were created by radiation after the war (i faintly recall some characters saying in the original games that no new ghouls can be made, and the existing ones are all ancient, pre-war humans), with Harold being the only exception, obtaining his ghoul status by being exposed to a mix of radiation and FEV.

Did Beth do an official retcon on that? Regardless, I think it's implausible to assume that every ghoul in existence was exposed to FEV at one point or another.

I think the same as madbringer does. I know West Tek was hit releasing FEV into the air, and that could explain the ghouls on the west coast, but on the East Coast, there is not mention of any thing like that, so that leads me to believe that its radiaition. And whoever brought up Vault 12 (sorry i forgot your name), they FEV-camp says that the FEV mixed with the radiated air to create ghouls, but what doesn't make sense is why more people don't turn into ghouls if that is the case.

Really, with so much contamination, you'd think everyone would be ghoul-ified. So, I agree. I think it's exposure to the primary radiation, not the fallout that everyone's exposed to.

I think its both radiation and other elements or toxins.
What was really botched up in Fallout 3 and onwards is the speed of ghoulification.

Originally it was a much slower process, taking months or perhaps even years.

Personally I think there are also way to much Ghouls, not that I hate them (I think they are a Fallout icon), but they lost their status of rare mutants, now being as common as flies, especially the feral ones.

Contaminated FEV, FEV that was released from the West Tek facility and was contaminated by radiation from the nuclear attack inoculates common humans against the full effects of pure FEV, killing them or resulting in very stupid Super Mutants when you try to 'dip' them.

The Dutch Ghost said:
(...) but they lost their status of rare mutants, now being as common as flies, especially the feral ones.

Fuck yes, that pissed me off as well. Beth missed the whole point of Ghouls - they were supposed to be a painful reminder of the costs of war; sad shadows of what they were, humans turned into warped, grotesque monstrosities, with some of them being able to cling to the bits of humanity in them, eking out a painful existence, being scorned, feared and treated like dirt.

Then came Beth and turned them into a cookie cutter MMO-type mob you kill for phat loot and experience. That can run, leap and cast Lesser Rad Orb. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Back